Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm
Posts: 105
I'm going on a 2-week Dolomites trip at the end of the month and wanted a wider range cassette so I can do all the long routes. I already have a compact crankset. With my current SRAM Force 10sp setup, I'd have to get a medium cage /WiFli derailleur in addition to a cassette. Instead of spending money on 10sp, I'm wondering if I could upgrade to 11sp in phases by using an 11sp WiFli derailleur and cassette with my 10sp shifters. My existing hub is compatible with 11sp cassettes; I currently use a spacer to run 10sp.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Haines, AK - Temporarily
You can use the 11sp RD with 10sp shifters and 10sp cassette.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm
Posts: 105
What about with 11sp cassette (10sp shifters, 11sp RD, 11sp cassette with limit screws set so only 10 cogs used)?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm
Posts: 352
Nope, spacing between cogs is different between 10s and 11s.

I've heard of people taking an 11s cassette and removing the 16t cog, essentially making it a 10s cassette with 11s spacing.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 pm
Posts: 327
deek wrote:
Nope, spacing between cogs is different between 10s and 11s.

I've heard of people taking an 11s cassette and removing the 16t cog, essentially making it a 10s cassette with 11s spacing.


But this is for 11 speed system and wheels for 10 speed cassette.
So they are making the cassette 10 speed, narrower and can fit the narrow freehub body. Still 11 speed spacing so they can use their shifters.

_________________
My Orbea Orca
My Stava
My Instagram


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 pm
Posts: 2138
Location: Santa Cruz, California, USA
The shifter determines the number of "speeds". Sram uses the same cable pull on 10sp and 11sp so you can use a 10sp derailleur on an 11sp system. Meaning that if you buy a WiFli 10sp you can use it on a future 11sp bike. Someone here recently posted that he went 11sp on his Sram bike with just an 11sp shifter, chain and cassette.

For your trip you can use an Ultegra 10sp 12-30 cassette with your current Force 10sp derailleur. It's larger than the the spec but it will work. I got one for about $50 on Amazon. If you need an 11t cog you can use a Shimano 11t cog, 11t lockring and remove the 14t cog. Shifting from the 13 to the 15 will degrade some (and it's a big gap) but it will work ok.

I used something similar in a recent climbing race. (I also used some Ti cogs from a DA cassette to lighten it a little)


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Posts: 2686
Location: Mississippi
eric wrote:
Sram uses the same cable pull on 10sp and 11sp so you can use a 10sp derailleur on an 11sp system.


How is this possible?? With the 1:1 actuation the ratchet in the shifter moves the same distance as the spacing between the cogs....if the cog spacing changes wouldn't the ratchet spacing need to change accordingly?

_________________
Mosaic RS-1
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138478

Cielo by Chris King Cross Racer
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134376


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Posts: 660
Ratchet spacing is controlled by the shifter not the derailleur.

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm
Posts: 105
eric wrote:
The shifter determines the number of "speeds". Sram uses the same cable pull on 10sp and 11sp so you can use a 10sp derailleur on an 11sp system. Meaning that if you buy a WiFli 10sp you can use it on a future 11sp bike. Someone here recently posted that he went 11sp on his Sram bike with just an 11sp shifter, chain and cassette.

For your trip you can use an Ultegra 10sp 12-30 cassette with your current Force 10sp derailleur. It's larger than the the spec but it will work. I got one for about $50 on Amazon. If you need an 11t cog you can use a Shimano 11t cog, 11t lockring and remove the 14t cog. Shifting from the 13 to the 15 will degrade some (and it's a big gap) but it will work ok.

I used something similar in a recent climbing race. (I also used some Ti cogs from a DA cassette to lighten it a little)


The Ultegra 10sp 12-30 cassette idea is perfect! Thanks!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm
Posts: 352
ToffieBoi wrote:
deek wrote:
Nope, spacing between cogs is different between 10s and 11s.

I've heard of people taking an 11s cassette and removing the 16t cog, essentially making it a 10s cassette with 11s spacing.


But this is for 11 speed system and wheels for 10 speed cassette.
So they are making the cassette 10 speed, narrower and can fit the narrow freehub body. Still 11 speed spacing so they can use their shifters.

Whoops, you're right.

Basically, it doesn't matter if the OP buys a 10s or 11s WiFli RD. The shifter just needs to match the cassette as far as number of speeds is concerned.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Posts: 2686
Location: Mississippi
Nefarious86 wrote:
Ratchet spacing is controlled by the shifter not the derailleur.


Yes.......that was my point

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

_________________
Mosaic RS-1
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138478

Cielo by Chris King Cross Racer
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134376


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Posts: 660
Poster was describing using a 10s mech with an 11s shifter/casette not an 11s cass with an 10s shifter

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jrmynthn, KarlC, mnmasotto, Treelegs and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited