First TT Done! Helpful Mods?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

This past weekend I completed my first TT and had a really fun time. It was a 33.3KM Time Trial (actually 30.5km due to construction) and I completed it in 52:16. So somewhere around 21.5mph. I figured I'd get around 22.5mph, but it was super windy so that's my excuse :)

On the training side I'm really pushing for a lot of quality riding. I'm doing the TrainerRoad "40k TT High Volume" training plan on my computrainer, plus some outdoor riding.

Below is a quick video of my positioning and gear that I used for the TT. Since I'm on a budget, what's the lowest hanging fruit as far as improvements go for modifications? I realize my jersey isn't tight enough, I can probably get a more aggressive position..and my helmet actually is too big. I have an oval head so there's lots of room on the sides of my head in the helmet - Bell helmets fit me better so i'll probably get a Bell Gage or even an aero helmet like the Bell Javelin.

Those I assume are worth it? What else? How's my positioning? How much time are the above things going to save me, assuming equal fitness/effort as my last TT?

I noticed everyone else had aero helmet, rear disc/cover, shoe covers, skin suits, gloves, etc. All of these will save time, but how much likely?

Lastly, I'm using Conti GP 4000s clinchers with regular (Buterol) tubes. Would latex be a reasonable upgrade?

Here's the video of exactly how I was setup at the TT this weekend:
(Can't post links yet.. Dang..)

Thanks,
Ryan

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Any chance of posting screen grabs and more about your bike, wheels etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

Yes definitely.
It's a 2011 Cannondale Slice 3 Ultegra
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Wheels
Continental GP 4000s Tires with Buterol tubes
Adamo Breakaway saddle
Everything else is stock on the bike:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271 ... e42056.jpg

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Focus on position first - longer aerobars would allow you to get better support from pads which would make it easier to drop the bars.
You should be able to do that just by changing the extensions - something like the Zipp Vuka Alumina Ski. Then drop the bars 1cm at a time and allow a bit of adaptation before taking another 1cm out.
Latex is definitely worth doing.
Aero helmet would be cost effective. And finding your tightest jersey.

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

Thanks for your input!
Just so I'm clear on what you mean by "more support" do you mean extending the extensions outward more? I brought them in pretty recently (towards myself) to more easily reach the shifters. Should they be further out so that the pads are closer to my elbow?

efeballi

by efeballi

Methinks the pads should be further away from you. Your shoulder angle is less than 90* in this setup, could work better if it is a little more than 90*. When you lose the spacers, your body will turn further forward and you will support more weight on the pads. The only way to go here is to experiment.

No gloves or aero gloves that reach just beyond the wrist will gain some time relative to wearing mitts.

The Cosmic Carbone SL is kinda narrow for an aero wheelset. Rear isn't so important aero-wise but you should use a thinner tyre on the front. Try to eliminate the "lightbulb" bulge as much as you can. I'm estimating 21-22 mm would be the way to go.
Think twice before buying the Javelin. It has a tail so you need to keep your head up all the time, if you look down, the tail will come up and slow you down. If you can't keep your head up, consider tailless TT helmets like Kask Bambino or aero road helmets like Spesh Evade and Giro Air Attack.
Tight fitting jerseys or skinsuits will save you a lot of time.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

cbrshadow wrote:Thanks for your input!
Just so I'm clear on what you mean by "more support" do you mean extending the extensions outward more? I brought them in pretty recently (towards myself) to more easily reach the shifters. Should they be further out so that the pads are closer to my elbow?

Yes - want to bring your elbows forward on to the pads more. The issue of reaching the shifters would be helped by ski extensions. Getting the elbows on to the pads gives skeletal (rather than muscular) support for the upper body which helps you relax into the bars more and thus adopt a lower position.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Best tip: listen to Cyclenutnz.
Position outweighs everything else.
Want to spend some money; a skinsuit usually is the best 'investment' in speed. Has to be tight.
I love you guys. Seriously.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Have a look at this article. I'm also looking at my first TT and this is a nice read. :)

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/bigge ... equipment/

Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bfno

by bfno

Invest in a fit. Best bang for buck IMO. They will be able to advise on upgrades too.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)