old school question with new school answers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Are any older rider familiar with the old Wolber profil 18 magnesium tubular rims? I got a pair of wheels on ebay with old skool mavic hubs and japanese bladed spokes for about $65, cause I thought they were cool and needed a pair of wheels with freewheel threads for a fixed gear. However, i've seen some wieghts for these rims floating around 280 gm. Is this right? Cause if it is, with revos and light hubs i could build some seriously light wheels. The current configuation seems relatively stiff (i'm 6 foot 150 lbs/68k) What do you guys think?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

520 Dan wrote:Are any older rider familiar with the old Wolber profil 18 magnesium tubular rims? I got a pair of wheels on ebay with old skool mavic hubs and japanese bladed spokes for about $65, cause I thought they were cool and needed a pair of wheels with freewheel threads for a fixed gear. However, i've seen some wieghts for these rims floating around 280 gm. Is this right? Cause if it is, with revos and light hubs i could build some seriously light wheels. The current configuation seems relatively stiff (i'm 6 foot 150 lbs/68k) What do you guys think?

Hey they aren't old cause I remember them!

That weight is right, I've weighed some (but have enough wheels so I passed on buying them). They are also very strong having had some in 24h in the past (wish I didn't get rid of those wheels). The other rim with the same material was the Profil A, which I weighed at 275gm, it uses internal nuts and washers, real cool stuff I wish was still made. I'm having those built on some Spada hubs, and I think they will be the lightest wheels I own, which is scary.
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I knew you'd come to my aid Ye Olde Bald One. What's the projected weight of those wheels you're building? The rims seem pretty good, the only issue is the lack of a machined braking surface, but no big deal.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

520 Dan wrote:I knew you'd come to my aid Ye Olde Bald One. What's the projected weight of those wheels you're building? The rims seem pretty good, the only issue is the lack of a machined braking surface, but no big deal.

The components (CX-Ray spokes) weighed 889gm with a Shimano pattern cassette body, I'm waiting for a Campy one before building, I don't know if it has any weight difference.
Ride lightly!

nicrump

by nicrump

Ive still got a set laced up to campy high flange. very sweet rim.

sweet like Mavic GL280

I also have several Sun M17's in 24 and 28 drilling, these are freaking light, i think under 250g. I just need to decide what hub to put them to.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The components (CX-Ray spokes) weighed 889gm with a Shimano pattern cassette body, I'm waiting for a Campy one before building, I don't know if it has any weight difference.

Holy Crap, 889 with CX Ray? Wow, this might be worth pursuing. I have a 58 cm CAAD 7 that weighs just over 15lbs with clincher Ksyriums, heavy tubes and a chorus cass. I wanted to ditch the wheels and get a chorus/ OP training wheelset and an Am Class carbon tub wheelset for racing, but if I can just get hubs and spokes...plus, I'm pretty light so I was considering Revos, maybe scratching 10gm off that? I know this has been done to death, but is there an english website/place to get info about those spadas?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

520 Dan wrote:

Holy Crap, 889 with CX Ray? Wow, this might be worth pursuing. I have a 58 cm CAAD 7 that weighs just over 15lbs with clincher Ksyriums, heavy tubes and a chorus cass. I wanted to ditch the wheels and get a chorus/ OP training wheelset and an Am Class carbon tub wheelset for racing, but if I can just get hubs and spokes...plus, I'm pretty light so I was considering Revos, maybe scratching 10gm off that? I know this has been done to death, but is there an english website/place to get info about those spadas?

If you do a search you'll find reams of info about them.

I don't think you'd save any weight with Revos, but it would save some $$, CX-Rays are expensive!
Ride lightly!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Ye Olde Bald One, can you break down the weights of that wheelset for me, because i keep coming up with quite a bit more than 889. Spada hubs ~260gm + 2x rim @280 gm + 200+ gm for spokes and nipples = 1020, which is still seriously light, but I might be doing something wrong. Thanks for the quick responses.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

520 Dan wrote:Ye Olde Bald One, can you break down the weights of that wheelset for me, because i keep coming up with quite a bit more than 889. Spada hubs ~260gm + 2x rim @280 gm + 200+ gm for spokes and nipples = 1020, which is still seriously light, but I might be doing something wrong. Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't know, I only weighed all the parts (using the carbon front axle) together and the 275gm I gave was the average of 10 rims. I took the lightest 24h (front) and 28h (rear) and weighed them with spokes, hubs, nuts and washers before they went to the builder.
Ride lightly!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Thanks, you've been really helpful. Yeah, the rims I have are 28 hole, so depending on the cash flow, I might go with several different hub options, either AM Classic ~300gm pair, or spada (that would be sweet, but I have yet to find prices or a way to get them to the US (I know I know search it etc, but it seems like LBS is the most common answer and mine doesn't carry)) so I think in the long run I might shoot for sub 1100 gm wheelset, which I think is pretty reasonable. That would shed over 400 gm from my currnet wheelset plus 170 gm per tire (GP 3k+100gm tube for 160 gm tubs) throw in lighter QRs and Cass and I'm looking at losing over 2lbs, down to 13lbs for the bike. Not bad for a tough spec 58. Thanks again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com