Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So I'm looking at a set of 20mm tubular rims from Farsports in 20/24. Not sure which is going to produce a lighter wheel build though 3K or unidirectional? Anny ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicos

by Nicos

Never heard that, but I think only the outer layer for the finish changes, so it should not make any difference.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Nicos wrote:I just received an email from Yishunbike,
they have a new wider rim design for 2014-2015!

Angled 25mm wide brake surface, 28mm at the widest point, looks pretty good to me!
and 17.5mm inside for the carbon clincher, that's the widest I'v seen yet.

Weights are there http://www.yishunbike.com/2015-rims-wid ... 2_734.html

Thanks - now ordered a pair of WU6C 24/28h. 3 weeks production time with the custom drilling.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

Yeah, I'm not happy with the Chosen hubs that came on my HongFu 56x27mm tubular wheels. Specifically the freehub body, which either isn't seating the cartridge bearings properly or is poorly sealed—or both. Gone through two sets of bearings after single-day races in the rain. I've just ordered two sets (one for me, one for a buddy) of the carbon-cycle 56x27mm tubulars. Supposedly the same rims as HongFu, but I requested they be built to Novatec hubs and CX-Ray spokes (and for slightly less money, all-in, too).

One other point, re: hubs: I believe the Chosen axle end caps are aluminum, while the Novatec appear to have a stainless cap, I believe. After some wheel changes I noticed the knurling on the aluminum axle caps on the Chosen rear hub was wearing from sliding in/out of the dropouts.

Nicos

by Nicos

Thuekr wrote:Thanks - now ordered a pair of WU6C 24/28h. 3 weeks production time with the custom drilling.

Cool! Let us know how they are when you get them!

I wish someone would take those Chinese rims and put them in the wind tunnel against the zipps,November,flo, etc.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Nicos wrote:
Thuekr wrote:Thanks - now ordered a pair of WU6C 24/28h. 3 weeks production time with the custom drilling.

Cool! Let us know how they are when you get them!

I wish someone would take those Chinese rims and put them in the wind tunnel against the zipps,November,flo, etc.

The WU6C have a different shape than ie. the FLO60 so they will perform different - but not something I expect to notice on my level of cycling. The dealbreaker was
- internal rim width wide
- super-toroidal shape
- price point acceptable

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

I pulled the trigger and ordered the two sets (one for a buddy) of 56mm (27mm wide) tubulars laced to novatec hubs with cx-ray spokes. rae gave me a pretty good deal. $400US per set and got him to throw in a few extra spokes.
I'll post pics when they arrive.

In the meanwhile, not to hijack this thread, but what tubulars are you guys running on these wide wheels ? I'm coming from the conti competitions 22mm. not seeing as many options in 25mm. any suggestions would be great !

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Looking to get a set of Carbon Tubular wheels from either Carbon-cycle or Farsports.
Looking at a 50 mm from farsports or a 56mm from carbon-cycle.

http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/tu ... t-212.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapim-CX-Carbon ... 6fd776c75f

Which one should I go for, the price difference with the same hubs is about $100 cheaper with the carbon-cycle.
Thanks

In response to Toronto-rider (above), seems saving $100 is the easy answer. My experience is carbon-cycle has good quality. Similar design, basalt brake track, sapim spokes. However, given all the recent discussion re: chosen hubs, why not just e-mail Rae at carbon-cycle (carboncycles@163.com) and ask for a custom build using novatec (sl or regular), you may end up saving more. I did that and was able to get a really good deal on my 40mm set - fast build and shipping - and didn't even get stuck with duty/tax to BC (even more savings!). Consider asking for extra spokes and buying extra brake pads.

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Toronto-rider
Also - the carbon-cycle rims have the wider, newer (?/better) shape I think (almost identical to Vision metron and similar to Bontrager Aeolus) compared to the farsports you had in your link. When I researched it, the carbon-cycle rims weren't the lightest I found (at least they are accurate), but the width adds weight (compared to older, narrower models) and I figured an extra 30-40 grams either meant they were honest in their measurements and/or would add durability. I have pics of my 40mm deep clincher wheels if you're interested (they should be decent resolution) - you can e-mail me at trillot@hotmail.com.

GavinR

by GavinR

Just a quick video of the Chinese carbon wheelset from Carbon Speed Cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjamwoa8S8

23mm Width
50mm Rim Depth
Powerway straight pull carbon shell hubs

100 mile update, with more updates to follow with mileage.

tharmor

by tharmor

stephenjwhan wrote:...rae gave me a pretty good deal. $400US per set...

I am experiencing jealousy on a large scale right now. $400 per wheelset is a stupid good price. Damn.

birzzles

by birzzles

My rims cracked along the braking surface on the second ride out. i was descending a short hill, using cork pads, and weigh 70kg. I bought 24mm clinchers from Light-bicycle.

birzzles

by birzzles

you can find some images of the wheel on youtube - google 'rim ridden twice'

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, these are covered elsewhere, but I have a set of these built as road disc wheels (28/28 2x). They have been great for ~1000 miles now. I think they are a little more susceptible to crosswinds than a set of Farsports U-shaped 50mm rims I had before, but on the whole very happy with these. The finish quality seems very good (compared to Farsports, anyway).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com