"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's like Marvin the Paranoid Android... in Pink.

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So where does the UCI sock/overshoe height ruling come into play with those things?

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Brain the size of a planet..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

airwise wrote:So does having a clean peloton mean no climbing heroes that were not born and grew up at 3000m? Will the future be filled with Columbians and Kenyans, memories of Evans and Contador as distant as those of Viren and Zatopek? How do you entice major Western sponsorship to a sport dominated by South Americans and Africans?

i'd obviously argue with the notion of having a 'clean peloton'. if we can learn anything from the past, it's - no matter what - something's deffinitelly going on in the cheating/doping department

as for Colombians, maybe they just have a good generation coming out, well trained, well prepared, just like Poles have. AFAIK there's no 'programme' for youth in both cases, just a question of pure coincidence, that few young cyclists happen to be very good.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

xena
Banned

by xena

prendrefeu wrote:The reference was more to the long-standing critique of Cadel, going back for much of his career, that he spends most of the time behind people rather than attacking.
Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Evans put that to bed a long time ago. How did he win the WC, attacking at the right time. Did you see his tour win. Did you see how he was performing at that time. He was incredible and attacking. Jesus what a stupid post
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

nickl

by nickl

tymon_tm wrote:
nickl wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:OGE, with their budget

They don't have a particularly big budget do they? Only one sponsor and all.

Not saying they are super poor, but I would have thought they are only midrange?

Wiggins is a very recognisable name though and might be enough to attract another sponsor, especially given OGE's successful year so far.

maybe just one sponsor, but with very deep pockets: Orica's net profit for 2013 was over 600 million $. looks like they can easily throw few extra bucks to sign a star Wiggo, no?

I doubt that. They sponsor the team to try and make themselves look good in their home market. They don't generate any sales out of it (they are a mining service company).

Provided OGE "projects a positive image" in Australia they are happy. I doubt they care if they win or lose too much.

Gerry Ryan is the real force behind OGE. He cares a lot about if the team wins or loses, but I'm not sure he's going to put in more of his own money.

But there isn't much money in cycling, and companies aren't exactly lining up to get on board.

Maybe Wiggins comes on board on a small salary with big bonuses, and they find sponsors prepared to pay if they win a TdF.

mentok

by mentok

kenny dehaes. so unfair. was he allowed to start today?

sychen

by sychen

Pretty sure Ryder had a extra bike change with a flat or a mechanical.

Rob81

by Rob81

sychen wrote:Pretty sure Ryder had a extra bike change with a flat or a mechanical.

yes and if I remember correctly... Garmin mechanic run back to the car and didn't push him :o
Must find the video, it was a glimpse of few seconds.
EDIT/FOUND
http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/ ... 95585.html
here, after 2h38min... seems the mechanic cares more about "his" bike or get caught in the confusion LOL

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Wow Rogers topping the Zoncolan. What's next? Helping Contador win the Tour :-)
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sychen

by sychen

Well done micky. Zoncolan is an awesome achievement.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

And here is the confirmation of the GC:

1 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 83:50:25
2 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:03:07
3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:04:04
4 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:46
5 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:06:41
6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:07:13
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:11:09
8 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:12:00
9 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin Sharp 0:13:35
10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:15:49
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ichobi

by ichobi

Micky's redemption. 2 stage wins with a grand total of zero race day prior to the Giro. He sure had a lot to vent after that Chinese meat shenanigan...

petelars

by petelars

Great race today, if a bit curious that the GC contenders didn't try harder for a stage win.

The spectators, however, were nutters. I still think Rogers'd have won, but imagine if he'd taken both riders down?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com