Trek Madone Series 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

amey

by amey

Hello everyone!

I am a long time lurker but a noob. I have been through few bikes over time: http://www.pedalroom.com/members/amey

I have just pulled a trigger on Trek Madone Series 5* frameset from Kinoko cycles as my fast/best bike which looks like this:

Also just secured these wheels from classifieds:

I will be transforming Ultegra 6770 Di2 and other stuff like pedals saddle etc from my winter bike to this with Rotor 3D cranks and FSA chainrings

Will update thread as I go; pretty excited! :D

* After a lot of looking at geo charts, stack & reach calculations and a bike fit Madone was the only non-endurance race bike I could find.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This is where it is at the moment with Ambrosio Nemesis wheelset sorted for winter and a 110mm stem instead of that dinky 90mm with 10mm spacer:

Last edited by amey on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Like the look of this.....make sure to peel the decals from those wheels though. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Welcome to the Madone club! The 5-series is a workhorse of a bike. It is relatively light, very strong and very responsive. You'll love it.

A couple of places where you will want to look at upgrading are the brakes (the stock Bontrager units aren't very good, compared to the DA9000 and Ultegra 6800 offerings) and headset (look for something lighter than than FSA unit). Of course, you'll be working with a 24mm spindle (no BB30 cranks) on a BB90 bottom bracket, so keep that in mind.

Enjoy, and put as many miles on that sucker as you can!

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I've just agreed a deal on a 2013 5 series frame set. Like you I'm using a 6770 Di2 group set that I already own, Rotor 3D chain set and HED Stingers! I'll be ordering 6800 direct mount brake callipers and not using the Bontragers.

It will be interesting to see how you build turns out :D

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm still riding the predecessor to the Madone 5. The Trek 5200. Other than wheels and handlebar, everything is original. Great bike, still get tons of compliments on the U.S. postal schema too.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I have that exact frame set built up with SRAM Red (2010) and Zipp 404 clinchers(2008)
It is a great training / crit bike and quite comfortable. My 60cm weighs in at about 7.3kg.
I still run the original Bontrager brakes which are ok but nowhere near as good as Shimano.

I bought the frame set to replace a damaged frame and transferred the components across.
I've been riding it nearly 12 months and am really happy with it. The ride quality and handling is quite close to that of my Parlee Z5. It is about 1kg heavier.
The Parlee is quicker and more responsive due to lighter weight and Tubulars.
I that impressed that I'm saving up for a 2016 Madone 7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Nice ozrider. I guess I should feel good that back when they made the 01 model they were still equipping it pure ultegra. I'm the original owner. Just had it fully serviced , cleaned, re-greased and replaced some worn cables. Kind of surprised how good it still looks.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Fri May 30, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

amey

by amey

Spanielsson wrote:I've just agreed a deal on a 2013 5 series frame set. Like you I'm using a 6770 Di2 group set that I already own, Rotor 3D chain set and HED Stingers! I'll be ordering 6800 direct mount brake callipers and not using the Bontragers.

It will be interesting to see how you build turns out :D

Ha looks like we are going to have VERY similar builds!

I am tempted for 6800 calipers myself; I was going for Swisstop pads anyway. Are Bontrager brakes really shit? I was wondering if its worth upgrading to compression-less cables for brakes and use the Bontrager calipers; might just get normal cables and 6800 callipers (with swisstop pads) instead.

I was also unaware of the fact that these frames cant take Rotor 3D+ which I was planning to move from this bike: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/rychtarsk ... -max-16759
I have ordered the new 3D 24 instead with less horrible graphics. The frame also comes with bearings!

Ozrider thats a lovely build! Your seatmast in the photo is white but on trek website it shows black .. I must say Trek really need to redesign their graphics/paint jobs OR offer Project One for series 5

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I swapped the seatpost for a 5deg setback with my LBS.
It is weird that they offer Project One options on 4 series but not 5.
The Bontrager brakes work better with wider rims, I recently swapped my Zipp 404 Clinchers for some HPlus Son 23 mm rims for the rainy season, and found a big improvement in braking performance. Same pads, same cables.

amey

by amey

Yeah I think I'll start with the Bontrager brakes and see how they perform with Swisstop yellow pads ..

I havent sorted winter wheels for this yet.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The brakes aren't shit, per se, but are definitely not as good as the Shimano offerings. Also, I'm assuming you're getting a 2014 model, but if not, make sure the brakes have been fixed (they were recalled in December).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I'm going to order the 6810 direct mount callipers this morning, I'd rather make the change straight off. Wiggle have price matched Evans at £47 per brake and I have vouchers to use!

I need to decide which compressionless housing to use with them now. I've used Alligator i-links on my other Madone and R5, they've been great up to now and most likely go with them again.

amey

by amey

Yep I am getting the 2014 version

amey

by amey

Where are you getting Alligator cables from ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com