ANT+ compatible replacement for Garmin heart rate strap

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MoPho

by MoPho

I went through five premium straps, they would only last me 3-4 months and I was washing them per the instructions. Currently have the old style one and it has been problem free so far.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I'm going with the Scosche Rhythm+ band, after my current chest HRM strap died in just a few months. (Do not buy from vendor "DDingstore" on eBay. Zero support or even a reply after my HRM died prematurely.)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scosche-antbluetooth-optical.html
Last edited by sanrensho on Fri May 30, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

11.4 wrote:I'm mostly using the second-tier Garmin transmitter, the one with the broad plastic strip and the little heart-shaped connectors on each side. No snaps, sensors are all integrated into the plastic strip, and I'm at six years on one and never had a problem. A few people find them uncomfortable, but thats actually pretty rare. Most of my team is on them now and they are simply a wear-and-forget. Great product.

That's the one that's just died on me.

But given the amount I sweat and the fact it's seen over 3000hrs of work, I really cannot complain that it's finally died.

It's either a Suunto or another one of those.

steve6690

by steve6690

I can recommend the Wahoo strap. It works every time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Is MIO hrm good ? Reading the comments in DCrainmaker review doesn't seem so. I am at lost of chest transmitter. My garmin HRM showed very high reading even though I replaced with a new 3rd gen strap. Then I bought powercal HRM, its also showed high readings. Even worst than garmin, Powercal reading seems to have a lot of spike. I exchanged it with second unit, and its still the same. I tried all kind of stuff to reduce spike even the strange one such as covering the unit with aluminium foils, but none worked. I beginning to think it is me. I borrowed my friend bontrager straps, and the readings seem to be ok.

theremery

by theremery

I echo the sentiment re dding on ebay.....only the second ever time I've left negative feedback. DDings straps are ok but don't last long. The transmitter she sent was DOA then she was a pain to get responses from (fail).
I eventually found transmitters from a UK bunch at about $20NZ a shot......genuine garmin premium postage was cheap....I bought 2. try Melon telecom limited.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by 11.4

Tinea Pedis wrote:
11.4 wrote:I'm mostly using the second-tier Garmin transmitter, the one with the broad plastic strip and the little heart-shaped connectors on each side. No snaps, sensors are all integrated into the plastic strip, and I'm at six years on one and never had a problem. A few people find them uncomfortable, but thats actually pretty rare. Most of my team is on them now and they are simply a wear-and-forget. Great product.

That's the one that's just died on me.

But given the amount I sweat and the fact it's seen over 3000hrs of work, I really cannot complain that it's finally died.

It's either a Suunto or another one of those.

And just to be sure, you DID replace the battery? I've never had one fail.

Nicos

by Nicos

I bought one for 25€ 3 years ago, in my local decathlon.
One of my best buy ever I use it all the time!
ant+ with two clips to attach the strap, I don't know if it's still available.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Thanks for the Mio link heads up was looking for a new strap, now I can be strap free. Hope it works good!

DuncanS

by DuncanS

I had seen plenty of reports of bad experiences with garmin premium. Interwebz research suggested that Bontrager had same OEM as most others but they spec'd a higher quality strap that was more durable, so I forked almost full retail for a Bontrager. So far (6 months), no complaints.
Beware: Unless something has changed since I did my research, Suunto use ANT but not ANT+, which makes them incompatible with anything but Suunto.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Antoine

by Antoine

Nicos wrote:I bought one for 25€ 3 years ago, in my local decathlon.
One of my best buy ever I use it all the time!
ant+ with two clips to attach the strap, I don't know if it's still available.

yes, http://www.decathlon.fr/ceinture-codee- ... 89560.html

if located in France click on "Voir le stock en magasin" to see in which store it's avalaible (38-73-74 = the Alps , 64-65-66 = Pyrennées )

other countries -> http://www.decathlon.com/

kervelo

by kervelo

Anyone have experience of Wahoo Tickr already?

Rick

by Rick

I'm interested in this topic because I also have intermittent problems with the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Strap. Sometimes it seems good, then it goes flaky.
So I have tried many things, all of which seem to "work" ...temporarily, and then it seems I was fooled at it goes flaky again. So I keep double checking how I have installed it, reclean, replace batteries, etc...

I am particularly interested in that Mio band, so please any users keep sending in comments, good or bad. I don't want to spend $100 just for a new intermittent problem. On the other hand, $100 would be "cheap" if it really just makes everything work without fuss.

Thanks.

NealH

by NealH

Your problem might be jersey static. If "flaky" means your HR sometimes skyrockets for no reason.....and generally early in the ride....its usually the jersey. Wetting the strap good with water or better yet, saline (nose spray) will usually prevent this. And wash the strap in the washing machine once a week.

Nevertheless, I've read that some straps like the Polar are not as susceptible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

Tinea:
I've clocked up over 100,000kms (5years) with my old garmin strap and still going strong... Granted they aren't the best looking strap but it's been damn reliable for me.... No static issues. Only gripe would be that now and again it doesn't initially pick up my HR for a few minutes til I get a bit sweaty. So unless a number of people can convince u that there's something better out there, stick with the old style. It's laughable, but after how good the old garmin strap was for reliability and longevity, how could they fark up the premium one so badly?

Thankfully, I've got an (new) old spare to move onto if I ever need to replace it...