Campagnolo Zonda Vs Neutron Ultra

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Just got some Neutron Ultras thought they'd be a good upgrade for my Canyon Ult Al allround hack and drop a few grams as well,
Campy says they're 80 grams lighter 1470 Vs 1550 (both campy freehubs),
Zonda 1568g
Neutron Ultra 1596g!!!
The Neutron rear is 34g heavier than Zonda's has a lower profile rim and carbon shell + they use rim strips so that'll be a 60-70g gain overall.
The Zondas (current model less than year old) are 6g's lighter than when weighed new, rim wear or removal of stickers?

Neutron rear

Neutron Front

Zonda rear

Zonda front

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

Having owned both I'd take the Zonda any day in retrospect. I'm not even sure the Neutron has a meaningful place anymore. I didn't think the ride quality of Neutron Ultras was all that, compared to some other handbuilts. Then again I like the Shamal.

liam7020

by liam7020

I had a similar experienced with Neutrons recently, they do weigh much more that Campag state. My set weighed in at 1573 and the rim tapes are actually only 41g (if memory serves) leaving the wheels around 1532 which is considerably heavier than billed. In their defence they do roll really really well and are extremely robust, evidenced by my trip to the Tour of Flanders sportive last month!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

I don't care much for the G3 spoke layout since I had a NDS spoke break this winter a long way from home and getting dark
It was almost unrideable, run out so far tyre was rubbing the seat and chain stays.
Just disapointed with Campy's claimed weights, had to re-weigh my Zondas because I thought my scales were wrong, +126 grams is taking the piss.

joshscott187

by joshscott187

What are actual weights for shamal ultra? I have been looking at neutron vs shamal vs ksyrium SLR for a set of strong alpine wheels. Not sure i can justify the price difference for the ksyrium exalith aesthetic.

The neutron weights make me wonder why you would go with them vs shamal.

Another query is two way fit? Worth the price difference?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Causidicus wrote:
Tenlegs wrote:+126 grams is taking the piss.

..and with a Shimano freehub it's hardly extraordinary.

I quite clearly stated that it's a Campy freehub in the first post

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Then please explain what you see in the photos and explain why Zonda's are lighter if as you say Campags weights are accurate
Zonda Fr 694g R 874g = 1568 claimed 1550
Neutron Fr 688g R 908g = 1596 claimed 1470

liam7020

by liam7020

Causidicus wrote:You have a scales problem. Campagnolo claimed weights are accurate.

Personally speaking I don't have a "scales" problem. I work in a scientific lab where our electronic balances are calibrated monthly...
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Causidicus wrote:No need to explain. You are the problem.

Causidicus what is your problem, why are you being such a dick?
I've shown the weights in photos, the supposedly heavier Zonda's are clearly lighter than the Neutron's whatever the accuracy of my scales are.
I stripped the Zonda's down so I could weigh them again side by side as I couldn't believe the weight of the Neutron's either, I thought my scales
were out as well, so please if you've nothing constructive to say, go away.

sawyer

by sawyer

I've had two sets of Zondas and IIRC they were both very close to claimed ... think the new Mega set are 1540g.

Neutrons are consistently well overweight. I haven't owned a set though some people say they are a fair bit stiffer? They need to have something going for them given they are heavier than Zondas, less aero, and cost twice as much FFS. Carbon hub???

Shamal Gen 1 were 1420g ... so lighter, but harsher
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

If scales are not calibrated, they are not calibrated for both wheels. So results will be the same.

I also don't understand why people started to act like this, when they see this kind of topics... Campagnolo pays them for good message about their product or they paid much for it and now feel sh*t because it is worse than they think...