Help needed for newbie, BB for Cento Uno 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WetWillie

by WetWillie

Hi all, ordered Cento Uno in Matte Black, xs size. I´m a bit confused of what kind of BB parts (bearings, cups? etc) needed for the cranks. Campagnolo Chorus Carbon groupset will be installed. Read about FSA Wilier BB386EVO, is this the one i should buy? Can somebody simplify for me? All the figures and numbers related to BB.. is a bit too complicated for me, as i´m not specially good in mec.

I do post pictures when the Italian Stallion is ready, meanwhile riding with my Wilier Izoard Xp

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Willieboy and JasonSV both have BB386 bikes and run campagnolo cranks on them. Maybe you can PM them and see what they used to make it work. You can definitely use the FSA cranks, although why go generic when you are running something as sexy as campy.

With the appropriate adapters any crank can be used as long as the spindle is long enough (BB30 specific cranks wont work)

Rotor also makes a BB386 compatible crank (3D, 3DF and 3D+) and BB system that doesnt require any adapters.

Edit: link to the bikes of Willie and Jason (page 2)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=117760&start=15

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

WetWillie wrote:Hi all, ordered Cento Uno in Matte Black, xs size. I´m a bit confused of what kind of BB parts (bearings, cups? etc) needed for the cranks. Campagnolo Chorus Carbon groupset will be installed. Read about FSA Wilier BB386EVO, is this the one i should buy? Can somebody simplify for me? All the figures and numbers related to BB.. is a bit too complicated for me, as i´m not specially good in mec.

I do post pictures when the Italian Stallion is ready, meanwhile riding with my Wilier Izoard Xp

Wilier ship the frames with adaptor cups for Shimano and Campagnolo cranks, so if you're buying it new the retailer should supply them to you.

WetWillie

by WetWillie

Wilier ship the frames with adaptor cups for Shimano and Campagnolo cranks, so if you're buying it new the retailer should supply them to you.[/quote]

Thank You very much for the information, will call the dealer.

Brgds, Björn

WetWillie

by WetWillie

wpccrunner wrote:Willieboy and JasonSV both have BB386 bikes and run campagnolo cranks on them. Maybe you can PM them and see what they used to make it work. You can definitely use the FSA cranks, although why go generic when you are running something as sexy as campy.

With the appropriate adapters any crank can be used as long as the spindle is long enough (BB30 specific cranks wont work)

Rotor also makes a BB386 compatible crank (3D, 3DF and 3D+) and BB system that doesnt require any adapters.

Edit: link to the bikes of Willie and Jason (page 2)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=117760&start=15

Thank's a lot for the info.

Brgds, Björn

WetWillie

by WetWillie

Hi all, getting frustrated with too much info in the net. Hopefully, kindly answer few question i have in my mind.

Frame Cento uno, BB shell is "empty" no bearings etc.
Crankset Campa Chorus carbon Ultra Torque, bearings fitted.

Is the Campagnolo Ultra Torque OS Fit kit necessary or does the cranks fit without them?
If necessary, what size must i have?

68x42 or 68x46 or 86,5x41

Would appreciate a lot if getting advise for this matter.

Best Regards, Björn

wingguy

by wingguy

Do you have the frame yet?

Everything you need should come with it.

WetWillie

by WetWillie

wingguy wrote:Do you have the frame yet?

Everything you need should come with it.

I have the frame and Campagnolo cranks, with the frame no usable parts for assembly.

Can it really be so difficult to fit these cranks into the BB, all I need is help from somebody who could tell me in words, what parts I need for this.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I presume something like this is needed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-BB386 ... 1365215676

The standard ultratorque bearing should fit in the cups which screw together inside the shell to stay at the required 86mm width. That's how I understand it anyway.
Bearings should be on your crankset..
Official cafe stop tester

WetWillie

by WetWillie

jekyll man wrote:I presume something like this is needed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-BB386 ... 1365215676

The standard ultratorque bearing should fit in the cups which screw together inside the shell to stay at the required 86mm width. That's how I understand it anyway.
Bearings should be on your crankset..

Thank you very much, have to take closer look. More questions rising!!!! Seems like my frame is Di2, the BB housing is different on DS, comparing with normal Cento1 frame DS, what do You guys think, does Campa UT set fit the Di2 BB without any tricks?

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Whether a frame is Di2 compatible or not does not have any effect on the bottom bracket dimensions. You might want to be more specific on what frame you have. Do you have a wilier cento uno sr or just a cento uno? Your title and posts indicate you have a cento uno which does not have a bb386 evo bottom bracket, but rather a bb94 I believe... I am also pretty sure 2012 was the last year they made that frame, with the introduction of the cento uno sr in 2013, which does have a bb386 bb. The cento uno sr is both mechanical and Di2 compatible , so still a little confused on what frame you have.

At this point I would just suggest taking your frame and components to your local bike shop and letting them sort it out. Seems like the simplest and most hassle free option at this point.
Last edited by hornedfrog on Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

It's a regular Cento Uno and not an SR or Air, right? If so, the cranks slide straight into the frame without any adaptors. The Cento BB is designed for Campy cranks and requires an adaptor for everything else. You also need the Campy clip that holds in the drive side half. The BB has a groove and two holes for it to lock into.

WetWillie

by WetWillie

hornedfrog wrote:Whether a frame is Di2 compatible or not does not have any effect on the bottom bracket dimensions. You might want to be more specific on what frame you have. Do you have a wilier cento uno sr or just a cento uno? Your title and posts indicate you have a cento uno which does not have a bb386 evo bottom bracket, but rather a bb93 I believe... I am also pretty sure 2012 was the last year they made that frame, with the introduction of the cento uno sr in 2013, which does have a bb386 bb. The cento uno sr is both mechanical and Di2 compatible , so still a little confused on what frame you have.

At this point I would just suggest taking your frame and components to your local bike shop and letting them sort it out. Seems like the simplest and most hassle free option at this point.

The frame is 2012 Cento 1 Di2, right you are, BB94. Nearest reseller for Wilier in Finland is abt. 6hrs drive by car, wanted despite the problems, at least trying to sort it out myself. The BB in my frame has some threads inside (DS). Also the DS, outer edge of the BB housing is missing the groove wehereas the locking pin should be assembled?
Last edited by WetWillie on Thu May 29, 2014 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

BRM

by BRM

Determine what Bottom Bracket you exactly have.
All Bottom Brackets have their own specific dimensions.
Stop the guessing and just measure with a device like in this pic.
Don't have one? Buy one, Analog or Digital and learn how to use it. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Post a pic of the frame and/or the BB, then there will be no confusion on our part regarding what you have. Also, what does it say on the BB? Wilier labels everything.