AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nmx

by nmx

mnmasotto wrote:I sent Ax Lightness two emails recently but no reply. Starbike says they have not received any framesets as of yet. I think I will hold off ordering one of these framesets until they start shipping and I start seing some reviews here on WW.

Finally, the waiting has an end ;-)

Right now we got the first framesets by Mr. Schnura himself. Exciting work..

In case that someone still thinks about ordering: 2-3 weeks are claimed as delivery period for new orders..

Thanh

by Thanh

What a frameset!!!! Draw drop here, really nice and can't wait to see the build up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

what... you did not weigh it ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

nmx

by nmx

spdntrxi wrote:what... you did not weigh it ?

Sure, the complete frameset (frame, uncutted fork, seat clamp and headset) = 1110 grams; Only the frame + seatclamp + headset = 796 grams

("D" with THM fork; Size L)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

so is the claimed 700g in the ballpark for a L.. Don't know how much a headset+clamp would weigh.. but according to their spec the frame could be as high as 735g with the +/- 5%
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Stegger

by Stegger

spdntrxi wrote:so is the claimed 700g in the ballpark for a L.. Don't know how much a headset+clamp would weigh.. but according to their spec the frame could be as high as 735g with the +/- 5%

According to marcob's post on page 10, this weight seems to include bottom bracket bearings as well.

rma

by rma

GREAT frame... can't avoid thinking that it remembers some of the Cervélo geometry...

Krull

by Krull

seems to be a quite nice Frame....but i dont know, if those carbon-bottom-bracket-Cups are a good idea. saving weight at any cost. well, time will show, if this is going to work smoothly...

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I also have a concern whether there will be a noise issue with those permanent carbon bearing cups

MuppetMower

by MuppetMower

How much are these frames in USD? I can't seem to find the price.

tharmor

by tharmor

At current exchange rates ::

€2.999,99 = $4,092.44

Stegger

by Stegger

AX lightness just updated their Flickr account (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ax-lightness/) with a few more pictures, including these:

jooo

by jooo

There should be no issue with the BB shell as long as AX manufacture the frame within tolerance. That may be easier said than done!

Can someone tell me why the fork seems heavy? THM claim 295g with 300mm of steerer. Is the steerer quite a bit longer and/or is the expander plug really heavy?

spytech

by spytech

jooo wrote:Can someone tell me why the fork seems heavy? THM claim 295g with 300mm of steerer. Is the steerer quite a bit longer and/or is the expander plug really heavy?

The fork in the picture where he mentioned the fork weight is not a "D" frameset, so it has the 3T fork - you can tell because it is not painted on the inside of the fork.

i like the raw look on this frameset. i wonder if the color at the bottom of the frame could be changed for a fee?

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

Cheers guys and my apologies for having kept you waiting: We have been (and actually still are) really superbusy to finally get all the frames out to you guys!!
As you have eventually come to read on our recent Facebook news (or been informed via email or on the phone) our delay has sadly mainly been down to the paintings lately, but hopefully has been sorted now by our new professional painter so that everyone of the preorderers will get their frames very soon. The waiting time on new orders currently is 4-6 weeks.

To catch up on some of the most recent questions (please feel free to keep asking if anything was unclear or left unanswered):
  • the BB bearings seats are moulded (and no carbon cups) which if the fitting is exact works very well. As one can easily see through the clearcoat the BB seats have specifically been reinforced with layers of carbon fiber cloth (the 3K elements on the UD tubes) in order to be able to withstand and better distribute the forces from the BB bearings (both in rgds to the initial installation as well as the stresses under load).
    The big plus of this way of construction is not only the reduction in weight (ca. 25-35gms thanks to the omission of the nylon/plastic/alu cups) but in the first place especially an increase in bottom bracket stiffness as there is no softer plastic/nylon/alu sleeve in between the frames BB shell and crankset (which is not pictured in magazine tests)
  • The afore mentioned fork weight from marcob (360g, s.o.) was for an uncut 3T fork. I've weighed all of the THM forks and they have been all around 290 to 310 gms incl. the preload adjuster. As a reference my personal THM Scapula CT, cut for a size S frame, weighs 255 gms (fully painted with an even thicker paint coat due to coming in our team paint scheme - pictures shortly, customers of course deserve their glory 1st! :no1: ).
  • The stated weights of the frames are very accurate. Please note that - when shipped - the frames already include the bottom bracket bearings (47gms/pair), installed liners for the internal cable routing (the brake liner will only be needed for installation purposes) as well as also headset, seat post clamp, BB cable guide (moulded carbon as well), RD hanger, RD cable guide, bolted on downtube cable guides and braze-on FD hanger.
    Without faking the stated weights, me personally I at least would not include either the BB bearings, headset, seat post clamp or rear brake liner into the quotation (BB cable guide and FD hanger are at times left out as well, but I think it is necessary to include them here as they are part of the frame).

Hope that helps!
/Nils

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com