Cipollini RB1K: a short lived affair....ISP CRACKED :( pp 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Looks like the crack is where your seatpost wedge expands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

looks much lower than that.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@OP,
Any update on the frameset?

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Cheers..all good...been busy riding :)

got an RB800 frameset in Bardiani team colour (fluo green/ bare carbon...absolutely stunning in the flesh imo)...building it up mostly with new parts....this is taking a while as i want this to be my dream bike...

in the meantime, pretty much all the RB1K parts went on a new SWorks SL4 (matte black)... the race workhorse...

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Good to hear that!
Do post a pic of the new built when all is done :)

Ride safe!

RC856

by RC856

vlastrada wrote:Cheers..all good...been busy riding :)

got an RB800 frameset in Bardiani team colour (fluo green/ bare carbon...absolutely stunning in the flesh imo)...building it up mostly with new parts....this is taking a while as i want this to be my dream bike...

in the meantime, pretty much all the RB1K parts went on a new SWorks SL4 (matte black)... the race workhorse...

Good stuff, but...what was the outcome with Cipo USA etc.
Is the 800 in place of the 1000 and you've bought the SL4 as another frame? :shock:

Meant to ask...on a previous post you mentioned ceramic BB bearings for Campag. How are they?
I've got a press fit and always wondered if ceramic was worth the money?

Cheers

arthurf

by arthurf

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought I would share my experience of the Cipollini warranty and UK distributor, Paligap, with you.

I finally pulled the trigger on my dream bike last September, a Cipollini RB800 in the fluo colourway as ridden by Vini Fantini. After about 2 months a small paint crack appeared where the seat mast joined the seat stays (a known issue apparently due to lack of elasticity in some of the earlier painted frames). The crack was only 10mm and barely visible so I didn't worry about it. After another 4 months riding, a 20mm long crack appeared on the downtube by the Cipollini logo. I took the frame back to the shop I bought it from to be returned under warranty where I was told it would be 2-3 weeks until the frame was returned from Cipollini, that was 13 weeks ago!

After 3 weeks there was no update on progress but I wasn't in a rush so didn't push things much. After 6-7 weeks and still no frame, I started to get a bit pushy. The shop was told by the UK distributor, Paligap, that the frame had been repainted and would be dispatched that week. After 9 weeks there was still no frame, the shop spoke to Paligap who told them that the frame was 'in transit'. Not being satisfied with this, I spoke to Paligap who told me exactly the same thing, I told them to find out exactly where it was and let me know. I thought that would be the last I heard from them but half an hour later they called back to say that my frame was still in Italy and would be dispatched the following week! I lost my temper slightly especially when they started giving me a load of BS about having to retool the painting equipment as the fluo colourway was a limited edition (its not, they haven't changed the paintwork between 2013 and 2014), that the factory was very busy painting new frames and that my frame had been delayed in the UK for 2 weeks as the warranty department were on holiday!

I phoned Paligap at the end of last week (12 weeks after all of this started) and was then told that they had decided to replace my frame to apologise for the delay andinconvenience and that it wouldn't be dispatched until this week! I just want the frame back, I'm not fussed if its my original 2013 or a new 2014, they are identical! I chased Paligap again at the beginning of this week and they told me they had received a shipping note from Cipollini and that the frame would be with the shop by Friday (yesterday) at the latest. Surprise surprise, no delivery yesterday and Paligap warranty wouldn't answer the phone yesterday!

Unfortunately, all of this has taken the shine off of getting the frame back and I'm dreading having to deal with another warranty issue through Paligap and Cipollini which is such a shame as I love the way the bike looks and rides. Luckily they have offered me a refund, very tempted to take it and cut my losses, maybe the Pinarello F8 or Colnago C60 would be a better choice.

PSM

by PSM

Feel with you. What a shitty thing. :(

Why does carbon frames still crack so freqently. It is 2014!
Last edited by PSM on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

arthurf wrote:Luckily they have offered me a refund, very tempted to take it and cut my losses, maybe the Pinarello F8 or Colnago C60 would be a better choice.

Take the refund...

vlastrada

by vlastrada

@ arthurf -- thanks for sharing your experience...unfortunately we (Italians) are hopeless at providing good backup when things go wrong, and given the high price of Cipos there really are no excuses. That's why my race bike is an S-Works :)

That said, the US Cipo distributor has been really good with me.

Btw, I have asked 2 Cipo retailers what the seatmast clamp torque setting should be and there is no "official answer" but one retailer said "3.5 nm is plenty" (I weigh about 62kg), the other suggests 6-8nm....pretty sure one of those guys is wrong...

Any ideas what the torque should be? :?:

@ RC856: Campy ceramic bearings are very good and so are C-Bear and the new Kogler (ex C-Bear guy) may be better still, but a good set of steel bearings is better than an average/crap set of ceramics....FrictionFacts has a nice report if you are interested in the details :)

Yup RB800 replaces RB1000...i prefer the geometry, supposedly as planted and stiff and much lighter...i'll find out on Weds...

Cheers

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Wingnut wrote:
arthurf wrote:Luckily they have offered me a refund, very tempted to take it and cut my losses, maybe the Pinarello F8 or Colnago C60 would be a better choice.

Take the refund...

kgt

by kgt

I really appreciate Cipollini's actual 'Made in Italy' but at this price he must really offer a flawless product in order to compete the big guys.

arthurf

by arthurf

@vlastrada I totally agree with your comment, their attitude seems to be selling a premium product at a premium price but with an appalling customer service! I spoke to my local shop today (not the one I bought the frame through) and he had done some digging with the local rep regarding Cipollini frames, allegedly Cipollini are pushing customers after the RB800 towards the Bond (identical geometry) due to the number of frame failures on the RB800 related to cracks in the paint. I was told it is a frame for racers and sponsored riders who have a backup frame available or can wait the 12-20 week repair time quoted by Cipollini, somewhat longer than the 2-3 weeks I was originally quoted. I'm sorry but I am not sponsored and I buy a frame to ride, if the products offered for sale are not up to the task they should be withdrawn. Having waited 13 weeks for my frame, I was told today that it had still not been shipped and I was offered a bike lock as compensation for the inconvenience, I was understandably offended by the offer! Amazingly, the rep told the shop that he had been busy signing up shops to supply Cipollini, I am disgusted that the UK distributor can still stand behind a company that doesn't value their customers and provides such poor levels of after sales service, I think they will be have their work cut out with returns soon.

Unfortunately that is the end of my experience with Cipollini, I will be accepting the refund and taking my custom to a manufacturer that can provide me with the aftersales service expected of such a product. Cipollini, buck up your ideas else you will lose more customers.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I was looking at an NK1K......but from what I have heard........I will give it a miss now .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dynamo00

by Dynamo00

I was looking at the NK1K as well but probably going to wait for awhile and see.