Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nicos

by Nicos

I hope they won't increase prices too much. Seems like when they get a more beautiful website the price increase...

tharmor

by tharmor

I was quoted $278 for the 60mm tubular rims not including shipping. She did not quote me the wheelset price, but said that they build up with either Chosen or Novatec hubs, and either CNspokes or Pillar spokes.

**edit**

I've got to say that the FlyBike/Carbon-Cycle deal is better. The Yishun rims are heavier to boot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicos

by Nicos

I agree, this rim is too expensive.. Disapointing

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

$278 for a set of rims is too expensive??? Compared to what? That is the average rate you will pay for carbon rims from the Chinese, at least the ones that typically deliver them to you. HongFu, DengFu, Light-Bicycle and so forth. That is about what I've paid, or a few bucks more for two sets of rims 40mm/56mm set from China in the past 8 months.

Nicos

by Nicos

Yes expensive was too harsh.
But for the price of two rims you get the spokes and hubs for free with carbon-cycle.
It's still an innovative product and a good deal, I'm just not sure if I can justify (and afford) the extra money.

simnorm

by simnorm

Nicos wrote:But for the price of two rims you get the spokes and hubs for free with carbon-cycle.

I have a quote for $110 more for their cheapest build.

Nicos

by Nicos

Ofcourse it's not free.
Two rims cost more than two wheels.
rims from yishun, wheels from carbon-cycle.
get it?

tharmor

by tharmor

Rae @carbon-cycle (eBay) just quoted me $435 + $80 shipping to the USA for the 56mm x 27mm carbon tubulars BUT with the Novatec A291SL/F482SL hubset in 20/24 spoke setup and the Spaim CX-Rays. They do not offer any hubs outside of the 20/24 spoke count. They do offer the rims with any pairing from 20 to 32. Just not hubs that can accommodate such a request.

$435 is $20 cheaper than the equivelant wheelset with the Chosen or Powerway hubs. This was asked/discussed on page #63 of this thread.

The wheelset is not currently listed on their eBay page only because the hubs just came back in stock. I estimate that they will be listed soon.

It may also be important to note that this same wheelset built with CN spokes is ~$100 cheaper. A member on page #63 scored a wheelset built as such for $435 including the $80 shipping charge to Salt Lake City, UT.

aktexican

by aktexican

Got a chance to finally ride/race the 56mmx27mm wide tubulars I got from DengFu. Rode about 20 miles to make sure they were ok. Had some pinging from the rear wheel the first few miles. Spokes settling or something. After that they were spot on. Front needed a slight truing but nothing I couldn't do with the bike in the stand.

Raced a crit yesterday. 30 miles of hard racing. Hit a few decent pot holes and cornered hard, lots of attacks and accelerations. Wheels were pretty amazing. Got several comments on them as well. These things do roll when once up to speed, that's for sure. These will now be my primary race wheels.

If they last any amount of time they are certainly hard to beat in the cost/performance category. I have ridden Zipp 404 Firecrests and Enve 6.7s and these are right there in terms of performance...so far.

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

i'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 56mm (27mm wide) tubulars from carbon-cycle (Rae).
going with CX-Ray spokes, but undecided on the hubs.

after reading everything, it seems like the Novatec A291SL/F482SL hubs are a little more durable and lighter, whereas the Chosen hubs roll better ?

if someone could clear that up for me and/or make a recommendation for hubs that'd be great.

thanks !

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Also on the fence with HUbs, about to buy the same wheels but in 40.
Per Ray he likes the Chosen Hubs.

Nicos

by Nicos

If the Novatec hubs are the same than the EDHubs, they roll really well, I was really impressed how long the wheel turn when I spin it!

aktexican

by aktexican

Check page 60 of this thread. Another user had problems with Chosen hubs. Poor tolerances I believe. He is going with Novatec now. The novatec seems fine to me and looks easy to service when the time comes.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Looking to get a set of Carbon Tubular wheels from either Carbon-cycle or Farsports.
Looking at a 50 mm from farsports or a 56mm from carbon-cycle.

http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/tu ... t-212.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapim-CX-Carbon ... 6fd776c75f

Which one should I go for, the price difference with the same hubs is about $100 cheaper with the carbon-cycle.
Thanks

trillo1111

by trillo1111

As far as the hub question - there was an update on page 63 by wynkendeword with respect to the chosen hubs. However, those came from HongFu, so maybe they were a different model. I know the Chosen look nice and are light, but couldn't find much in the way of reviews or specs. I ended up buying the 40mm from Rae at carbon-cycle, with the sapim cx-ray and Novatec a291 f482 (non-sl - it wasn't available, but I think the internals are similar and the difference is more in trimming weight from the shell/flanges...). Out of the box the Novatec spin forever, and even though it may not be worth anything - after a few hundred km (all dry conditions), they're still rolling as good as the first day. Novatec specs looked good (decent spacing and bearing size) and reviews indicate they are quite reliable - so I was fine with a little extra weight for the durability. Pretty sure they are not the same as EDhubs. To offset a few extra grams at the hub I went with latex tubes, red veloplugs (super light and high blowout strength compared to rim tape - rim tape generally being the limiting factor for blowouts from heat on carbon clinchers which people mention as a particular concern when using latex with carbon - per Waldo on here) and Vittoria open corsa evo sl 23mm. I'm happy with my choice, would buy again. PS - I bought the black prince and breaking is great - but the blue they supply are super cheap and actually work quite well (I've ended up using the blues up front and black prince on the rear).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com