650B conversion with Avid Shorty 6

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Just a quick note that I succeeded in modding an Avid Shorty 6 canti, to reach the rim of a 650B wheel on a 700C frameset. A rather crude implementation of the idea, though, if I was to do it again I'd do it properly with a mill (not just a drill and a file).

Might be of interest for people looking to turn their old CX frame into a monster cross bike, or just for running Hetres.

The pic is a bit misleading, probably because of the viewing angle, the brakepad doesn't touch the tyre.

A more complete description of the build can be found in the Aluminium Bike Thread
Last edited by HillRPete on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Can you do some close up pics of what mods you had to make to the brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

At that pad mounting point, the pad moves more down than across.
How does the brake feel at the lever? How does it stop? If you give the lever a firm squeeze, does the pad try to "submarine" under the rim?
Not criticizing, just wondering.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Yes, the pad moves down and towards the rim, so the wear is not optimal. I filed off the pad's top edge a bit, to get a better area touching rim. Before going "submarine" though, the brake shoe would grind on the rim. The pad is wearing quickly, hope this improves when the rim is polished a bit. (Last ride was wet with lots of slow technical riding too.)

Response on the lever is very good, no difference really to when I ran a regular 700C wheel before. No problem to lock up the wheel, too (low position causing short lever is obviously good for power). Maybe it would make a bigger difference on the front. (But I'm running a disc fork.)

Will provide more detail pics later.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Here are detail shots. Sorry it took a while. As said above, this is quite a botch job, but it's been working good enough. Pondering to do another, this time for the front. Would try using a mill to get a nice slot, and also work out something better instead of pushing the spherical washers to their limits.

ImageCanti outer side by r0b5t4, on Flickr

ImageCanti inner side by r0b5t4, on Flickr

ImageBrakepad mounted by r0b5t4, on Flickr