Facet joint denervation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

I’ve been having trouble with inflamed facet joints in my lower back for some time now and, on the advice of my consultant and physio, I’m booked in for a denervation procedure tomorrow morning. Anybody else on the forum had this done and if so what was the recovery time to getting back on the bike? Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jockeywilson

by jockeywilson

Hi,

How did it go? Had mine done a few years back, was pretty straightforward....I just waited for staples to be removed.

Has it resolved things?

liam7020

by liam7020

Had it done last Fri. Back feels good but the doc managed to cause a slight csf leak so now I've got a f*ckin' spinal headache and nausea which is so much worse than the bloody sore back!!! Not a happy camper. Cheers anyhow mate. Any news on your bikes?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

jockeywilson

by jockeywilson

Pleased it's helped with the back although gutted to hear about the leak. That's a nightmare. It never did anything for me. I take something called arcoxia everyday now. Which whilst it' means I can live a normal life isn't great but significantly better than what I was going through.

No news on bikes, I won't see them again I suspect. Hoping insurance will do the right thing.

rma

by rma

liam7020 wrote:Had it done last Fri. Back feels good but the doc managed to cause a slight csf leak so now I've got a f*ckin' spinal headache and nausea which is so much worse than the bloody sore back!!! Not a happy camper. Cheers anyhow mate. Any news on your bikes?

This thing should be resolved within 7 days, maximum. Then, go back to your bike and ride on!

liam7020

by liam7020

Thank lads. Saw the doc again today and he did a blood patch to plug the leak. Hoped it might have worked immediately but no such luck. In saying that I do feel a little less sh*te tonight so maybe it's starting to work. Digits crossed!!

climbwalz

by climbwalz

I have seen thousands of facet denervations over the last 15 years and have never seen or heard of a CSF leak. The doc should have never been anywhere near the epidural space or in range of the dura. That was a completely unacceptable result and I would call your doc on it.

liam7020

by liam7020

climbwalz wrote:I have seen thousands of facet denervations over the last 15 years and have never seen or heard of a CSF leak. The doc should have never been anywhere near the epidural space or in range of the dura. That was a completely unacceptable result and I would call your doc on it.

Being pretty much bed bound for the last week has given me a chance to do a little research and I realise what you're telling me is true. You obviously have knowledge on the subject - do you mind if I pm you? Many thanks.

rma

by rma

climbwalz wrote:I have seen thousands of facet denervations over the last 15 years and have never seen or heard of a CSF leak. The doc should have never been anywhere near the epidural space or in range of the dura. That was a completely unacceptable result and I would call your doc on it.

I may not be and expert here on this subject, but I understand that many doctors perform an epidural injection together with the facet procedure, hoping to reduce the inflammatory reaction in the region. Performing the epidural exposes the patient to the risk of an epidural puncture and, in consequence, to PDPH (post dural puncture headache).

Just to inform you guys...

liam7020

by liam7020

Thanks for your comments rma, and you may be correct, but in my own case I didn't receive an epidural.

rma

by rma

liam7020 wrote:Thanks for your comments rma, and you may be correct, but in my own case I didn't receive an epidural.

You are welcome. Anyways, just hope you can recover as soon as possible and get back on the bike! Keep us informed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

climbwalz

by climbwalz

Liam7020: of course you can PM me. I would be happy to help.

RMA: you could do an Epidural but you will get a better anti inflammatory response at the site of the denervation with a cc of lidocaine. The epidural would be better suited for radicular pain not necessarily associated with the facet pain.