PBK duty charges to US.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

To the original poster, thanks for pointing this out. Almost bought an Ultegra 6800 crank for my wife today. The price was great ($206, I think). When I went to cash out, the "shipping and handling" (advertised as free, above $75) jumped up to $23. No thanks. I'll wait for Merlincycles to stock the crank, and buy from them (bought a rear derailleur and cassette from them, and no charge).

phatphuk

by phatphuk

FIJIGabe wrote:...I'll wait for Merlincycles to stock the crank, and buy from them (bought a rear derailleur and cassette from them, and no charge).

Count your blessings...

Merlin Cycles Ltd wrote:SHIPPING & POSTAGE
USA: Free shipping on small goods over £50 (US$ 80). Under £50 costs between £5 ($ 8) and £15 ($ 24) Exact Dollar amount depends on the current exchanges rates. Wheels & Frames Free shipping starts at £150 (approx 0)

Please note import duties may apply and are the responsibily of the customer
(Source: merlincycles.com)

Merlin Cycles Ltd wrote:TERMS AND CONDITIONS
DELIVERY TIMES AND POSTAGE COSTS
Customs duties/tax - Please note for non EU countries there may be customs/import duties to pay depending on the value of the goods, these are the responsibility of the customer.
(Source: merlincycles.com)

Merlin uses UPS for all their international shipping. I've never had any luck when I've had stuff delivered by UPS. I've always had customs charges levied every time UPS delivers international orders to me. YMMV.

From my experience, anybody who doesn't get a customs bill when UPS delivers their stuff, should thank their lucky stars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I guess that UPS can pitch a low cost service to Merlin etc, who can then advertise "free" shipping. UPS can do this knowing the're going to gouge the poor sucker buyer later.

Never again will I have anything to do with them.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

phatphuk

by phatphuk

FIJIGabe wrote:...Almost bought an Ultegra 6800 crank for my wife today. The price was great ($206, I think)...

Your bill, sir...

Expect to pay at least USD$20.60 to the gub'mint. And I agree with bikerjulio about UPS' clever gouging scheme. So if you do get that crank from Merlin, make sure you set aside another $15-$20 bucks (on top of the $226.60) for UPS' cut.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, even with the additional charge, they're still cheaper than Competitive, so that's not a big rub. This is for the wife's bike, which has 6700 on it. She can survive for a little bit with the 6700 crank, while I wait for a deal on the 6800 version.

I'm now wondering whether the two parts that I ordered (rear derailleur and cassette) will incur a charge. Even though the aggregate total was over $130, I've yet to be charged a fee when receiving from Merlin or PBK on amounts that high. Anyone have experience in this? I fear my UK buying will soon be coming to an end.

phatphuk

by phatphuk

FIJIGabe wrote:Well, even with the additional charge, they're still cheaper than Competitive, so that's not a big rub. This is for the wife's bike, which has 6700 on it. She can survive for a little bit with the 6700 crank, while I wait for a deal on the 6800 version.

I'm now wondering whether the two parts that I ordered (rear derailleur and cassette) will incur a charge. Even though the aggregate total was over $130, I've yet to be charged a fee when receiving from Merlin or PBK on amounts that high. Anyone have experience in this? I fear my UK buying will soon be coming to an end.

I get the impression you don't use the internet much. Would that be a fair assessment?

DutyCalculator.com wrote:Calculation notes
Notes on import taxes due
(Source: DutyCalculator.com)

O-o-o-o! This is interesting...
DutyCalculator.com wrote:DutyCalculator Help Center

Will there be any extra charges from the shipping provider?

Additional charges will vary from company to company, however the shipping provider may charge:
  • a customs clearance fee, or customs handling fee for processing the import declaration
  • an advancement fee for paying the duty and VAT on behalf of the recipient
  • an airline handling fee for loading and unloading the goods
  • a security fee for screening or x-raying the goods
  • a fee for preparing the customs declaration

See below some examples of additional charges:
  • Import handling fees by Royal Mail: £8 per parcel liable for customs charges.
  • Import handling fees by DHL for import to UK: £1.25, or 2% of the import duty & taxes due, whichever is higher.
  • Import ancillary service fees by FedEx vary on the country of import.
  • UPS charges include a disbursement fee of minimum $5, a transportation handling fee and a pre-release notification fee for import shipment.
  • In Canada, to process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95.
(Source: DutyCalculator.com)

dgran

by dgran

I got dinged with the duty fees on an order from ProBikeKit. I don't mind paying it the fee, but the $15 processing fee is aggravating. I suspect there is a cheaper way to pay the duty. Someone is making a killing as a middle man.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

phatphuk wrote:I get the impression you don't use the internet much. Would that be a fair assessment?

Nope. Not an accurate statement at all. This is the first instance where I'm having to research customs duties. I don't usually shop from "foreign" retailers, but I don't see what in my post would give you your impression.

phatphuk

by phatphuk

FIJIGabe wrote:
phatphuk wrote:I get the impression you don't use the internet much. Would that be a fair assessment?

Nope. Not an accurate statement at all. This is the first instance where I'm having to research customs duties. I don't usually shop from "foreign" retailers, but I don't see what in my post would give you your impression.

My mistake. I may very well have misunderstood what you wrote. On the face of it...

FIJIGabe wrote:...
I'm now wondering whether the two parts that I ordered (rear derailleur and cassette) will incur a charge. Even though the aggregate total was over $130, I've yet to be charged a fee...

...it sounds like you are waiting to be charged a fee even after you've already paid for and have already taken delivery of your order. Reading your post just made me wonder what web store or delivery company works like that? In my experience, if your order made it through your door and you weren't charged anything by then, then it's a done deal.

BTW, what did you think of the calculations in those 2 links ?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

...it sounds like you are waiting to be charged a fee even after you've already paid for and have already taken delivery of your order. Reading your post just made me wonder what web store or delivery company works like that? In my experience, if your order made it through your door and you weren't charged anything by then, then it's a done deal.

Not my experience. Which I wrote about already. Although I'm in Canada.

In my experience with UPS a few years ago, I received a bill from them after delivery of the item. More recently with DHL, exactly the same thing - an unexpected additional bill about a week after delivery.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

phatphuk

by phatphuk

bikerjulio wrote:...

In my experience with UPS a few years ago, I received a bill from them after delivery of the item. More recently with DHL, exactly the same thing - an unexpected additional bill about a week after delivery.

Jeez Louise! Is that even legal? My eyes have been well and truly opened today to the sketchy ploys of these slicky boy delivery companies!

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

US import duties vary by state. Some states have no import duties on some items. For example, I don't think CA has any import duties on bike parts. Dutycalculator doesn't seem to take this into account.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

bikerjulio wrote:

I've queried these charges a couple of times and been refunded. To be fair, there really ought to be an expectation of an import fee but an additional admin charge is taking the piss.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

phatphuk wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:

My mistake. I may very well have misunderstood what you wrote. On the face of it...

FIJIGabe wrote:...
I'm now wondering whether the two parts that I ordered (rear derailleur and cassette) will incur a charge. Even though the aggregate total was over $130, I've yet to be charged a fee...

BTW, what did you think of the calculations in those 2 links ?

I asked one of my co-workers, who likes to dabble in foreign video games. He's been charged an import duty on games coming from Europe and Japan, and has had to go down to UPS and the Post Office to pay the duty, before he can receive the item. I'm assuming most places will charge you ahead of time, but given that experience, you never know.

Thanks for the help on the calculations. As I said earlier, I have limited experience ordering products from overseas (prices are usually better from the US, but lately, Merlin and PBK have had better prices on components and tires), so I haven't had to register for DutyCalculator.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

As contrast update, I ordered from ribble the same thing I originally ordered from pbk. It got here in 5 days, and no additional fees or charges!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com