XTR 2015

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

I've been using the same Ultegra cassette on a normal Mavic 9/10 speed freehub (is a fraction longer than most others) as my turbo training wheel set up on an otherwise XX1 drivetrain. Cheap and no issues and no adjustment necessary (certainly for turbo use).

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Question about the 1x11 configuration of xtr- the max chainring size is 36T, which seems rather low considering XX1 goes to 38T, and even then, they have a 10T cog as well.

I'd love to run XTR 1x11 but I'm still on 26 wheels, so 36T is possibly undergeared for my xc bike. What do you reckon- will Shimano bring out a 38T chainring? Maybe I'll just run a XX1 crank with XTR M9000 gears...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

There's plenty of aftermarket rings that go up to 38t, don't have to stay full XTR. Cranks are ugly too

tobys

by tobys

After seeing the cranks in person in Cairns I beg to differ on the ugly cranks call... They are very good looking in person!

I think the finish is hard to photograph, but in real life its hot.

devinci

by devinci

it may have been mentionned here but

Are those new XTR cranks only compatible with XTR chainrings? The spider angle looks different to that of other cranks

DanW

by DanW

Looks that way. The bolt holes are not equally spaced similar to the latest Dura-Ace. I remember reading the BCD somewhere but it was non-standard. Shouldn't be long before aftermarket replacements pop up at a fraction of the cost of the Shimano version.

Still really want to see what happens with XTR Di2. SRAM are already "leaking" photos of wireless electric shifting (road initially then MTB) but I haven't come across any new news from Shimano :?
Last edited by DanW on Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devinci

by devinci

deception

hjb1000

by hjb1000

devinci wrote:deception

ooohh, I like this.
So XTR Di2 release is immanent??

DanW

by DanW

Noooo

It was more that my original comment was just "looks that way" in reference to the non-standard BCD, hence Devinci's equally short response "deception" :D Don't let my ninja edit about XTR Di2 get you too excited.... unless you know something we all don't Vincent :D

devinci

by devinci

I know nothing. But the non-standard BCD pisses me off a bit, I hate being stuck with proprietary stuff. Was looking for a 1x crankset, might as well go XTR 980

Colin

by Colin

The 980 cranks had a proprietary BCD in the race crank. As does XX1/X01, the Rotor NW ring is proprietary, and the Race Face Next SL cranks are proprietary in 1x config. It seems that we're going to pretty much be stuck with proprietary BCD's no matter what system we choose, assuming you get a 1x specific crank. Haven't seen any 1x specific cranks with a 104bcd spider.

As for Di2, I've been trying to get info out of our local rep for a while, he's been pretty quiet on the subject, but he has hinted at it coming, probably this year. Which, in my opinion, makes sense for Shimano. With a wireless Sram group imminent, I feel like they will at least want to beat them to the punch at having an electric mtb group.

Getter

by Getter

The good thing about the SRAM cranks are the removable spiders. You can at least use a direct mount ring. The X0/X9 also has a removable spider that is 104 bcd.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Does anyone have an accurate release date for XTR m9000?
I'm keen on the 2x11 group.

njee20

by njee20

The UK stockists (both retailers like CRC and the Shimano distributor) are showing various dates in August for the various parts of the groupset, so I'd assume around then.

The Di2 thing is odd - there were those leaked photos on the Czech(?) website before launch which showed mechanical and electronic groupsets. The official launch came and the photos of the mechanical stuff were identical, but nary a hint of the electronic stuff... yet!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jan

by Jan