Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mize

by Mize

Anyone running nokons + power cordz on and SRAM group on this frame?
Even with help from power cordz folks over the phone LBS couldn't get the rear derailleur to shift properly into the larger gears. The FD shifts fine.

Tossing the steel cable back on the RD until further notice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I have plenty of miles, and I think 15 races in on the AR, but to be honest I haven't looked at comparing data between the two. I also never did any testing on the FC, but will be doing so on the AR sooner than later.

53x12 wrote:Do you have enough miles on the AR1 where you can look at your power data and tease out any differences with the AR1 vs FC (or previous bikes). Just curious in that regard. I'm sure if one spent time and did the Chung Method that you could see those differences personally on the road.

I was excited last year when the new AR was released and was considering one as an aero road frame is one bike I don't have yet. Timing just didn't seem to work for the 2014. So I think I might be giving a 2015 AR1 a go. Fit is perfect as it matches up with my Cannondales' geometry.

emartin

by emartin

I've decide to go back to my Giant TCR ADV SL so my AR2, with less than 1000 km, is for sale. It's a 54cm with all the factory specs. I see that this bike seem sold out almost everywhere, I'm in Canada and can ship to the US as a bike or in parts... Just PM me if you're interested.

tomb2100

by tomb2100

First ever post......and already I know I've messed up as I failed to weight my 51cm AR1 frameset :unbelievable:

What I can say is what a smoooooth ride it is, so comfy - and that's coming from a Viner Mitus 0.4 owner - using the same build I had on my Viner. I'm a mere 65kgs so unsurprisingly I can't flex it and without a power meter I have no idea if I'm faster but after a few hours in the saddle I should be as its just so smooth!

To answer a query on Nokons, I've managed to used them on the front and rear gears, even incorporating a barrel adjuster on the front, which runs a Clarks housing under the bar tape then pops out below the bar into the barrel and then nokon. Nokon inners were too wide for the internal 'hole' so either carefully widen it with a small screw or join the cable housing the felt comes with the nokon inner - just be patient! Also managed to 'hide' that huge inline brake quick release from Shimano, again just below the bars, so the front lines look nice and clean :smartass:

Mize

by Mize

tomb2100: any photos?

53x12

by 53x12

All of the reviews regarding the comfort of the frame is very encouraging. Good news to hear.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tomb2100

by tomb2100

I have one photo at the moment, need some work on my camera skills...will try and post better ones later

Porkinson

by Porkinson

Here's a video of me winning a race on my AR1, apologies for the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhaVBVPLas

I'm not putting out 1800w like someone earlier in the thread. I peaked at 1300w which was enough to win by more than a few bike lengths (the guy close to me in second went really early and I caught him just before the line).

As for flex. I can make the pads rub partly because I lean to bike to one side when out of the saddle and partly because the brake doesn't open as far as a conventional brake. I'm riding Bontrager Aeolus wheels which are reasonably stiff. In all honesty I haven't ridden enough different bike/wheel combinations to be able to tell through feel if the flex is in the wheels or the frame but it accelerates fast enough for my needs.

I'll also second the comfort, once you're rolling at a reasonable speed it does seem to roll over rough surfaces with less buzz and if you hit a larger bump it's less harsh, bit like riding on a really cold day vs a warm one.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Good man! Well done on the win. I too got my first ever race win on the bike last week, a 4th Cat crit local to me in Edinburgh. I was 2nd coming out of the last corner and a fair bit back, but on putting the power down with this bike it just flies! Won the race by a bike length!

I too have been getting the back brake rubbing when doing out of the saddle efforts, but I'm putting that down to my race wheels (Reynolds Attack tubs) as I don't get the same on my training wheels (Mavic Cosmic Elite).

Leading the pack mid race.

And the crowd goes wild! All the glamour of the Scottish bike race scene!

Mize

by Mize

I can get brake rub with my Enve 6.7s but never with my alloys. I just open up the brakes a bit for hilly courses to prevent the brake rub. I weigh about 170 lbs.
Great shots mixgixer. I got nipped at the line last weekend by an 18 year old (I'm 47 and NO I'm not racing Masters yet) and only got second :( by a wheel length.

trilocus

by trilocus

Anyone has ar frd frameset??

53x12

by 53x12

trilocus wrote:Anyone has ar frd frameset??

Yes there are some out there.

nathanong87 wrote:race friend's ar1 he just built. This thing is unreal in person.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

DuncanS

by DuncanS

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/ride-featur ... -felt-ar2/

In other news, my wife is now the proud owner of an AR4 and LBS actually has a 58cm FRD coming for a customer build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mize

by Mize

One little annoyance about this bike is how knocky the seatpost is. Every time I shift weight it creaks. Anyone have a way to eliminate this?

liketoride

by liketoride

I had mine in my hands almost a month ago but have not taken it out yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com