Pinarello cracks down

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Glad to see something happening. I hope it continues.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

That's awesome that the integrity of a manufacture it that serious about their product!
Awesome job pinarello.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Why don't they just issue each bike with a hologrammed seal with a unique serial number and keep a database? Cant be that hard, and then it probably becomes easier to check.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I don't think it is a matter of checking if they are counterfeit or not. Everybody knows they are fake as most aren't being sold as the very real thing. It is just the immense amount of auctions on Chinarellos that is the problem.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

right, but as soon as you've got some kind of visible seal on the frame id guess many would be deterred, and at least the profit margins of the sellers would decline as theyd be less valuable once you KNEW 100% at a glance they are fakes.
In mot sure how "counterfeitable" these hologram labels are now, however, I know they USED to be pretty much un-copyable.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Leviathan wrote:Why don't they just issue each bike with a hologrammed seal with a unique serial number and keep a database? Cant be that hard, and then it probably becomes easier to check.

Scotty Cameron putters ($250-$10,000+) are heavily copied in the golf world. Someone almost every week would come by to show me their new pride and joy, except it was a fake. Sometimes they even bought the putter from a real dealer too. Some even had the hologram shaft band and serial numbers. Often times the counterfeiters would copy a few serial numbers off real putters. It is difficult to fight.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Seems similar to coin collecting and getting coins graded/authenticated. Counterfeiters are now copying the hologrammed coin cases used by the grading companies. But with coins, you can look up the serial number on the grading company's website, and see whether it's the same coin or a fake, because each coin has unique characteristics. I don't know how you'd do that with bike frames.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Never-ending battle. Hope that prosecutions/fines make at least a subset of those who market these think twice about the ROI.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Bogan

by Bogan

As one of those horrible people that rides a Pinarello, this is good.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Easy to check for fake ones. The heavy frames are the genuine ones.
:-)

Geoff

by Geoff

I don't recall anyone ever being injured by a fake putter. Anything to get unsafe frames off the market is a good thing.

glepore

by glepore

Tons of fake stuff down from Alibaba due to IPO. An Arundle search used to turn up hundreds of fake cages, now zero. Same for SMP, Cervelo etall.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com