2012 Ridley Damocles RS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Quinn039

by Quinn039

so Ive decided on the KCNC.. found out the rod for front new ultimate is alu... not ti. deal breaker even though i loved the white.

any ideas where I can get a good deal on these? fairwheel just sells them at full pop.

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Hopefully it works, the Damo build is slowly coming along. Picked up some Ksyrium sls and found a stem so 3T bars and then I need a drivetrain and I'm set. I went with all gold KCNC ferruls, f/d clamp and plan to continue the trend anywhere I can without making it too loud.

Quinn thank you for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quinn039

by Quinn039

looking awesome bud!

good to know those wheels would have looked fantastic if I'd gone with them. I look forward to your updates!

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Some ti skewers, alu bottle bolts, and a very light seat collar with a ti bolt all got installed this evening in a effort to stave off the winter drudgery. Should be extra fast on the trainer now...

thinking maybe a set of these:

along with a 100 or 110mm stem (X2 again of course) in the summer... maybe some lighter tubes and bolts here and there...

EightySixer

by EightySixer

I've been thinking about the same thing Quinn. I like the new blades, they look sweet. I've always (and still do) run Keo 2 Max or Keo Carbon. Let me know how you like them if you do pick up a set.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

wont be until summer if I do, but yeah Ill let you know.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

not a great picture... but I've got about 300km on the new skewers, clamp, and bolts... no issues to report. I'll do a weigh in a few weeks from now when I'm back at work. I'd estimate around a 100g drop from the last time I checked.
Last edited by Quinn039 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EightySixer

by EightySixer

That's a good looking bike. I still have yet to get mine completed. I have to get a zero offset post, 25mm is too much setback for this geo.

Did you end up getting some CC's for it Quinn?

Quinn039

by Quinn039

EightySixer wrote:That's a good looking bike. I still have yet to get mine completed. I have to get a zero offset post, 25mm is too much setback for this geo.

Did you end up getting some CC's for it Quinn?

Thanks!
CC's? If you mean carbon clinchers... no unfortunately. The 'cost' on Enve rims was far closer to retail than I had expected and the price just proved to be too prohibitive, especially if I'm not really going to push them to the best of their abilities. I'd certainly still like to down the road, but I may wait and see if this road-disc thing really takes off and do it then as I feel the benefits would really come through in that application.
what I did end up building at the end of the summer was a set of Stans Alpha 340's on King r45s with sapim lasers and alloy nipples (all black)... thats whats on the bike in the picture. All things considered Im very happy with what I ended up with, but that wont stop me lusting after something a little deeper and an little more carbony. :P
looking forward to seeing yours all finished up, can you get the Olympic one in 0mm? or will you just go with a standard white one?

Quinn039

by Quinn039

So a minor update.... no major changes.... but I did do a weigh in and was VERY pleasantly surprised.

I had anticipated a weight somewhere on either side of 17lbs/7.71kg.... and ended up with 15.93lbs/7.23kg, including two cages, computer/sensor, and pedals. So under a pound/0.43kg to go for true 'race weight'.

Very impressed, especially considering the loaner 110mm stem, ready-to-ride setup, and a few other easy to lose grams from extra bar tape, steerer, and spacers.

Other than those minor changes (maybe a lighter steerer expander too), my summer plans are for a set of Keo Blade 2 Ti's (80g saving, still looking at durability reviews/experiences) and a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbino Flow (55g saving, Tekno Flow is prohibitively expensive... and maybe a little extreme). That should drop me to just under 300g shy of that magic 6.8kg mark...

Any other suggestions would be welcomed...

Cheers!

EightySixer

by EightySixer

What kind of saddle do you have now? The Antares is my favorite and it's super light. Not sure if it's lighter than the SLR but a good choice nonetheless.

I have a confession Quinn- I sold my frame :/
I have Crohn's disease and can ride only sparingly. I decided on a Handbuilt frame, my teammate WilcoCycles.com is building me a True Temper OX platinum tubed frame with a KVA stainless ISP, PF30 and either 44mm or Tapered headtube. He can have them around the 1,500g range. I may substitute some tubing for Enve made tubes but that is still tbd. Figure if I'm not racing a bunch nor riding a ton for that fact- it would be nice to have a 1 of one frameset built just for me. Only way I can afford it is due to the heavy discount he is giving me. I'll post a pic in a few months when it's all done.

Your Ridley is sounding AWESOME too. From what I've heard and read the new blades are pretty nice pedals and haven't heard any durability complaints at the shop either. You're going to have a rocketship when you're done! Cheers,
Justin

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Well that's both sad and good to hear. I really hope this new direction works out for you and I look forward to seeing the result.

In answer to your question, my existing saddle weighs in around the 170 mark... Hoping for a bit more comfort with the larger cutout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Some updates.

Needed new tires as I cut the sidewall on my existing set... plus they were pretty worn. (see pictures for one of the cuts)

went with Schwalbe Ones... gained some weight (so got some lighter schwalbe tubes to partially compensate) and lost the white stripes, but gained cornering grip without sacrificing rolling speed (as far as I can tell).

I also got some scale shots of these changes along with my old saddle.

Unfortunately I dont have access to the scale anymore, so I cant give an accurate weight for my new Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow. But it feels light as hell.

Thats it for now, waiting for my 110mm thomson X2 stem to arrive and debating ti spindles for my existing pedals... the Keo Blade 2 ti's seem to be too unpopular with people who have already picked up sets for me to bother.
sidewall cut booted with shot block wrappers

Ultremo ZX 23

Ultremo ZX 23

Conti racelight (was on front)

michelin a1 (was on rear)

schwalbe one 23

schwalbe one 23 (huge weight discrepancy between the two... :( )

schwalbe extralight

schwalbe extralight (i run them without caps or rings)

old 90mm Thomson X2 (i have a 110mm loaner on right now)

old saddle, SLR XC vanox rails (now on MTB, replaced SDG bel air ti)

new saddle!!!! weight unknown... but I would assume slightly higher than the 120g claimed.

with the post

mounted. the combo feels stupidly light. :)

more to com when I chop my steerer and get that 110mm X2. Will do a weigh in after to see how far the 7.23kg has dropped :noidea: with these changes plus those two forthcoming ones.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

new 110mm thomson x2 received and installed.

just ordered a set of ti spindles for my KEO 2 Maxs. The reviews on the Kep Blade 2 tis were just too poor for me to bother.

SLR Kit Carbonio flow saddle has been excellent.

will update with fresh pictures/weight once steerer is cut, ti spindles installed.

thinking about headset/expansion plug upgrades to get me closer to that magic 6.8 kgs.

anyone know what kind of bolt the chainrings on a 6700 crankset use/what the weight of the stock ones are as well as that kind of info for the crank bolt (left arm, goes into spindle)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com