Aliexpress

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

redcard

by redcard

I'm looking to order a carbon frameset as I've just had a total seat stay failure with my Canyon. That'll hopefully be warrantied, but in the meantime I need to sort a bike.

If I buy from Aliexpress am I getting a product identical to the one I would buy from a reputable store, or am I getting a sub-standard generic product with a label stuck on?

Just looking to see what the general consensus is as I realise there may not be one correct answer.

Thanks all,

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Some stuff is a total rip off and fake. Other stuff is quality. Depends on the product.

Generally if it has a big name label, it's fake. The good stuff is usually lacking a logo, or they put some generic logo (not a big name brand).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

redcard

by redcard

I was being tempted by a cheap BMC frame.
Guess the advice would be to give it a wide berth?

bura

by bura

Like BT said.I would not buy a fake branded frame. But there are brands like Flyxii on Aliexpress.
Though I have bought unbranded saddles from AE.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mattr

by mattr

You'd be better off going to one of the known brands, light bicycle hongfu and so on.
They at least have some sort of store front and reputation to protect.

Some of the aliexpress businesses are little better than phishing scams.......

derek

by derek

Only buy from sellers that have good reputation in here or other forums. I would not trust chinese frames, but many us them with no problems. I've seen many failed chinese carbon frames, but I've seen also many broken big brand carbon frames. Many cracked Canyons also.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

Anyone with any experience building one of these Evo's? The seller has a lot of transactions and a good seller rating.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2015 ... 02302.html

HTML

by HTML

illskittlz wrote:Anyone with any experience building one of these Evo's? The seller has a lot of transactions and a good seller rating.

Its not an Evo. Its a FSO (frame shaped object) A piece of junk. Like everything else thats fake from China.

Why would you trust your life on one of these ?

Wouldn't you feel embarrassed if people seen you riding it ?

Fake frame = Fake rider

jano

by jano

HTML wrote:
illskittlz wrote:Anyone with any experience building one of these Evo's? The seller has a lot of transactions and a good seller rating.

Its not an Evo. Its a FSO (frame shaped object) A piece of junk. Like everything else thats fake from China.

Why would you trust your life on one of these ?

Wouldn't you feel embarrassed if people seen you riding it ?

Fake frame = Fake rider

Going a bit too far there!
You can't just label people like that.

torob

by torob

I've purchased a number of no-name products from aliexpress and eBay.

Items that seem to have met or exceeded expectations:
- Ti skewers
- Ti pedal spindles
- Carbon fiber seat w/ slight bit of padding
- Carbon fiber seatpost
- Carbon 40mm wheelset
- lightweight aluminum stem

Items not meeting expectations:
- Carbon fiber handlebars - flexy... very flexy
- Aluminum rear derailleur cogs (one standard bearing, one "ceramic") - don't seem to spin well under load

I've also, if it helps, in the hopes of keeping my addiction as low-cost as possible, bought a bunch of used things from eBay and kijiji (Canadian craigslist). On the whole, used seems to be pretty risky. I wouldn't recommend it.

I wouldn't buy a frame from a random seller on Aliexpress. If buying online - whether Aliexpress or eBay - I'd try to look through the forums for a reputable seller where others have had good experiences. I did this when buying the carbon wheelset (awesome!) from a seller named Rae on eBay - carbon cycles). As others had suggested, he was quite responsive to my inquiries and quite helpful. Can't say I got that from the other sellers that I'd purchased goods from off of eBay and Aliexpress (especially Aliexpress)...
Using Tapatalk

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I would not buy anything off Aliexpress - usually cheap knockoffs. Your cheap skewers might become a very expensive item when they fail and you do a face plant at speed.
I definitely wouldn't buy a frame off Aliexpress.
There are a few cheaper Chinese frames on this site that seem to be of good quality. A far safer bet IMO.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

HTML

by HTML

jano wrote:Going a bit too far there!

If that offends you then that says it all.

There is no excuse for owning a counterfeit frame. If you have a good one please share it.

Marin

by Marin

DON'T buy a fake branded frame off ebay or AX.

DO buy an "open mold" unbranded (un- or custom painted) or "store branded" (Hongfu, ICAN, Avenger, etc.). These are mostly excellent - I have 2 and couldn't be happier.

You can get a sub-900g frame for under 500$.

ph445

by ph445

Ali Express is only recommended consumables

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jano

by jano

HTML wrote:
jano wrote:Going a bit too far there!

If that offends you then that says it all.

There is no excuse for owning a counterfeit frame. If you have a good one please share it.

It doesn't offend me, it does offend others though.
For your info I ride a Litspeeed Ghisalo and currently I am building up a Storck Fenonmalist Di2, which proves that your comments and prejudice are out of place.

Everyone has the right to chose what they ride, and what they spend their money on. And they are no less of a rider then those of us who have lots of money to spend on expensive bikes.