Build Advice

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robb

by robb

Hi All,

New here, currently riding a 2014 Trek Superfly 8, just looking for some advice on my new lightweight bike, looking to either shave weight or cost. I already have the Canyon frame coming.

The weights aren't probably very accurate but just whats advertised.

Many Thanks
Rob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Will the X11Sl chain work with XX1? I haven't heard much about that yet.

Other than that, take a look at the New Ultimate EVO handlebar, nice and wide, super light, and not insanely pricey. The Ritchey C260 (non-carbon) stem will be lighter than the standard WCS 4-axis. I'm also not a huge fan of ritchey seatposts, but if you want it all to match, I understand that. Personally, I'd take the weight hit and go for a Syntace P6 HiFlex, they just smooth out the ride of a hardtail really well. An X01 cassette will save you a little cash and is the same weight. You could also get an absoluteBLACK chainring. Will save weight and is cheaper than the XX1 chainrings. There's also a little weight to be saved in the saddle if you can find something that fits you. I personally like my Fizik Tundra 00 at 142g.

Make sure you honestly consider the conditions you ride in before purchasing the tires, don't get all giddy about how light they are and just go for them. I briefly ran them and while they were super fast, they didn't handle loose over hardpack very well at all, and eventually were sliced on a rock. That said, if you live somewhere that isn't borderline drought (or full blown drought) year around, they're probably fantastic!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Do not spend money on the NU stuff. I have had nothing buy problems with several of their products. So has numerous friends.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

AdyM

by AdyM

As already suggested, bars/stem/seatpost/saddle. Probably a 200-300g saving there, depending how little padding you want on a saddle/how much you weigh.

Maybe a mt zoom bar? Lots of people seem to like them on here :) and I'll hopefully be getting one soon.
Mt Zoom speed wheel jockeys, or Aerozine ones from ebay, only 11.6g a pair, would shave a few grams off the rear mech.
Ti bolts everywhere?

You also missed off a few parts, like headset, top cap + bolt, BB (might be included in crank weight), Front and rear skewers? But still an easy sub 8kg build. Can't wait to see it!

robb

by robb

Thanks for the advise guys, the headset comes with the frame, I am unsure how the BB works on this frame so at the moment I've not included anything but I am pretty sure the cranks do come with it, however I'm not certain.

I like the idea of this Syntace P6 HiFlex and different seat.

Colin

by Colin

Kastrup wrote:Do not spend money on the NU stuff. I have had nothing buy problems with several of their products. So has numerous friends.

I've got a few hundred miles on mine on mostly rocky terrain. We'll see how it holds up. What problems have you had, out of curiosity?

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I've pretty much either had or witnessed any possible failure you can imagine sadly :( Personally i stripped a bolt. A bolt which i torqued to specifications and greased before installation.
My friends werent't that lucky. Three broken seatposts and a snapped bar. Last year i saw at least 2 people having to abandon races due to a broken NU seatpost.

I am not saying the items the produce won't last. I'm just saying i would never spend my money on something where it's seemingly a bit of a gamble if you'll end up walking home.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

robb

by robb

Parts have started arriving, will post some pictures over the weekend.

Ended up going with the below.
Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex
MT ZOOM ULTRALIGHT Bar
KCNC SC WING STEM

What 12X142 axle should I get?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com