Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mize

by Mize

Nine races so far this year and I've only seen one other 2014 Felt AR and it was an AR4. I talked to a guy who's Dad has an AR1, but he wasn't at the race that day...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mize

by Mize

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

I recently did my first TT and did pretty well for a first time on an aero-road bike with no clip-ons, disc wheel or TT helmet. So now I'm wanting to rig this AR1 for TTs. The biggest bummer is I'm running a Zipp Contour SL bar that I absolutely love. It's the most comfortable road bar I've used.

BUT it's no clip-on compatible.

So now I'm considering the 3T Ergonova (team version) since it keeps the bars under 200 g and can take clip-ons, or the 3T Aeronova (ltd). The latter is a bit heavier but has a nice aero shape to it.

Any others I should consider? I'm looking for the flattish tops of the Zipp Contour SL and clip-on capability.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Indeed back to the normal programme! I was going to post this earlier but got distracted!

I too did my first TT on the bike at the weekend, Scottish National Championships over 10 miles on a flat course. I did however have clip ons and a pointy hat but no other aero advantages.

I had flipped the seat post for the race and the bike immediately felt like a TT bike. Much easier to get the power down with the more forward position. The bike felt fast and was indeed fast! I was only 32s off my pb over 10 miles on a day that wasn't quite as good as the day I set that pb. Also that was my first TT since August last year so was more than happy with my time and how the bike felt.

I'm pretty confident with some more races under my belt I should improve my pb on the AR.

Sorry Mize I can't comment on the bars. I do like the look of the new 3t ones though.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

tranzformer wrote:
As another note, I talked to my Felt dealer and they said Felt USA is completely sold out of AR1 frames. Nada left. Only thing left is the AR3 EPS which has a few left in the warehouse. Nothing else. Crazy to thing of imo. Shop said it has been this way for close to a month with no new Felt ARs coming in until fall at the earliest. Said pre-order would open August/September to get an order in. Wow, so no chance at getting an AR1 until winter of this year (Dec-Jan) if the 2014's are any indication. I guess it is good that Felt is able to sell everything, but isn't it bad that there are customers that want to get into the Felt family lineup, but can't because of lack of inventory. Seems like poor resource management/logistics if the demand can't be met.

That is interesting that only the AR3 EPS is the only AR that Felt has left in the warehouse. Interesting. Especially in light of many proclaiming that it was the best bang for the buck in the 2014 AR lineup. Is it telling of EPS? I'm sure Felt probably sold some/a bunch of the AR3's, but obviously not as popular as the other models or framesets if those sold out several months back.

So is EPS a dude in terms of trying to crack into the market share that Shimano has built with Di2? Maybe EPS is more popular overseas? Not meaning to broad label anyone, but the few guys I know that frequent the local shop that run Campy are on Colnagos and Pinarellos. Not sure if those interested in Campy EPS would rock it on a Felt? I know I am labeling too much and someone is going to freakout on here. lol Just seems EPS isn't the best fit for most that would consider an AR. I bet Felt will sell more AR's with SRAM's new offering when it is released than they have sold of EPS.

53x12

by 53x12

Does anyone have a frame weight only for an AR1 in a size 54 or 56 without bearings in the frame, RD hanger...etc.?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Krackor

by Krackor

I'll be taking off my rear derailleur in a day or two (changing to WiFli for a hilly race) and I can take off the hangar too and weigh it. Bottle cage bolts are about 4g total. Subtract that from the 1176g I posted earlier will give the bare weight for a 56cm frame.

53x12

by 53x12

Thanks Krackor. When you weighed it, were the bearings inside the frame already?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

The BB30 bearings weigh 47g if it helps.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I don't post here anymore but I have been following this thread. I received my AR1 on Dec. 29th and had many issues sorting the brake out. Finally the TRP 550R was what I could get to work properly. My wheels really make this a challenge as they are over 28mm wide. Any how, someone said a while back they wanted to try the bontrager unit. It will not work as bontrager has its own proprietary mount setup and that is why you see three bosses on the fork and if anyone has seen the BB area there are three as well. The bontrager uses one of the normal direct mount bosses and then a centrally located mount. However, if someone still wants to give it a go I have one sitting on my box at the moment that you can purchase. :lol:

Also, my lever is extremely stiff but I rarely need the rear brake and if I do (think descent) I am in the drops and do not find it hard at all to use as leverage is increased at that point. Maybe SD's method of file would help, but I am not keen to mess with a working setup.

Lastly, I know there is some recent issues about weight and I know mine came in at a respectable weight. It is no 56 or even a 54, but my 51 weighed 1071 with hanger and water bottle bolts, but minus cable stops.

The heavy bit was the seat post, but I figure it could have been heavier if not for the method of design. Also this includes the clamp mechanism but not the fixing bolts.

The fork was a downright WW part at 295g cut. Shown Uncut below.

Finished pics of the build can be seen over on ST's home page. I originally built it up with 10spd RED and complete weight (pedals, 500, w/o bottles) came in at 14.9.

I have since added Ultegra Di2 and Elite Crono CX bottles and as it is shown in the feature it weighs 15.6. To be fair with the crono bottles mounted it weighed 15.2 with the RED group and Deda stem.

I hope the weights and brake information is found to be useful.
Last edited by Stalkan on Fri May 16, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mize

by Mize

Stalkan, I assume you were using Stages power? I've had zero issues with the Ultegra direct mount rear brake...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

Nice setup Stalkan. I think you were wise to go Di2 on the AR1, especially with the aero penalty you get with cables according to Dave (7-8W). Looks much cleaner. Any reviews of the frame so far? Still happy with it?

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Mize: No stages, as that's an SRM you see in the pic. The problem with Shimano is I don't like the feel with SRAM brakes. Now, of course, that would not be an issue, but alas. Also, I did try the 540R (and that is what is on my box not the Bonty) and the arm, when setup to work with my narrow wheels, would hit the NDS crank arm.
Last edited by Stalkan on Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

uh....trigger pulled on AR1...when my wife finds out? :frightened:

I've gone w/ the 6800 direct mount for the rear break. Going to run the rest Campag Record, not sure how that combo is going to work. SiSl for the chainset and 3T stealth for the cockpit. Mavic CXR 60T's for the wheels (once my front is fixed).

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Agreed on the Di2. That is one decision where I have no regrets, don't notice the weight, and can notice the benefit–Dave might be right on the 7-8 watts.

The frame is spectacular. I am very happy I waited for felt instead of going the S5 route (BBRight helped there, too). I transferred everything over from my FC so I feel like I can compare between a lighter stiffer setup to the heavier more aero one. There is no loss in the handling department between the two. The AR is every bit the Crit bike that the FC is. However, the AR is much, much more comfortable than the FC. The FC for me was very stiff, almost to a fault. The AR just seems to work with me and I never feel like I am fighting the bike. The seat post clamp is probably the best part of the bike and I feel like it contributes the most to ride quality (allowing the paper thin seat post). I have raced it in several "proper" crits as well as several long road races, and I have never been left wanting.

For those interested in the weight difference between the AR and FC, I believe that Apples to Apples it was 14.9 and 14.7, respectfully.

53x12 wrote:Nice setup Stalkan. I think you were wise to go Di2 on the AR1, especially with the aero penalty you get with cables according to Dave (7-8W). Looks much cleaner. Any reviews of the frame so far? Still happy with it?

53x12

by 53x12

Do you have enough miles on the AR1 where you can look at your power data and tease out any differences with the AR1 vs FC (or previous bikes). Just curious in that regard. I'm sure if one spent time and did the Chung Method that you could see those differences personally on the road.

I was excited last year when the new AR was released and was considering one as an aero road frame is one bike I don't have yet. Timing just didn't seem to work for the 2014. So I think I might be giving a 2015 AR1 a go. Fit is perfect as it matches up with my Cannondales' geometry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com