Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aktexican

by aktexican

duckson wrote:Why not order from carbon-cycle on ebay, same wheels cheaper....or at least check the option out.

I don't think carbon-cycle has them cheaper. There's at least two major Novatec hubs used. carbon-cycle uses the cheaper/heavier A271SB + F372SB hubs. Carbonzone on ebay has the same ones I bought (A291SB+F482SB Hubs) for about the same price as I listed earlier. I don't see any reason not to go that route.

jepd1973

by jepd1973

Well my budget will either be spent on 86mm CC or a new FM066 frame ....... FM066 could be a very interesting project for a climbing/rainy weather bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trillo1111

by trillo1111

If you're checking prices, I have to say by contacting Rae at carbon-cycles directly I was able to get a custom build (40mm carbon clincher with reliable novatec a291 f482 hubs and sapim cx-ray spokes - though they have lots of other options) and ended up with a much better price than I could find anywhere else. Great communication, fast build and shipping, final weight right around 1530grams (would be lighter with chosen hubs - but a few extra grams for the extra durability is good by me - and they spin forever). I didn't even end up paying any duty on receipt here in Canada. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. Rae's direct e-mail is carboncycles@163.com.

Nicos

by Nicos

I just received an email from Yishunbike,
they have a new wider rim design for 2014-2015!

Angled 25mm wide brake surface, 28mm at the widest point, looks pretty good to me!
and 17.5mm inside for the carbon clincher, that's the widest I'v seen yet.

Weights are there http://www.yishunbike.com/2015-rims-wid ... 2_734.html

simnorm

by simnorm

Who can do a 24/28 build other than farsports? Carboncycles, hongfu, diybike dont have any 24/28 hubs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tharmor

by tharmor

@nicos Those do look nice! I anticipate that these won't actually be available for a few months "lead time". Any news from them in that regard?

Nicos

by Nicos

On their website it says "New Products For May"
So maybe in may? :P

tharmor

by tharmor

If my, albeit limited, experience has taught me anything - they will tell us that there is a lead time of 60 days or so. It's a bummer, but given they just released the info on them, and there is an entire line up of wheels, I would guess that they might have one of those depths available in May. The rest will follow after the interest is gauged.

I'm looking at the 60mm rubies. They look nice!

pushstart

by pushstart

The shape looks nice, but 17.5 internal width is same as the LB U45 rims (24.5mm wide). Would be nice to see 18-19mm internal widths on one of these rim.

Nicos

by Nicos

It says 17.1mm inner width for the LB, but I agree wider would be even beter, it seems limited to aluminium at the moment.

tharmor

by tharmor

The November Rail has an internal width of 18mm. FYI.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

simnorm wrote:Who can do a 24/28 build other than farsports? Carboncycles, hongfu, diybike dont have any 24/28 hubs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

A lot of these stores will sell rims only in many different spoke counts and you can have them built up by a local wheel builder.

pushstart

by pushstart

Nicos wrote:It says 17.1mm inner width for the LB, but I agree wider would be even beter, it seems limited to aluminium at the moment.

Sorry, you are right; I misremembered. Yeah, I am considering the Hed C2+ for my next wheelset -- though they aren't cheap!

pushstart

by pushstart

tharmor wrote:The November Rail has an internal width of 18mm. FYI.

Yeah, that one is also 25mm at the brake (and max 28mm?), right? And proven aero. I love the idea of the Rail but $1000 for the set of rims is a lot compared to ~$450 for LB rims (shipped). I would probably pay the premium if I were using rim brakes, though.

tharmor

by tharmor

Vivian at Yishun says that the 60mm tubular is available to order now with a 20-25 day lead time. Still no mention of price however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com