AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Has anyone had any deliveries??

robhall2003

by robhall2003

AX Lightness have not posted any update here, or on their website for a while now. Either they're all heads down in production or they've come across a problem. I'm waiting for replies to e-mail enquires I sent weeks ago and have had no reply. Unusual as during my initial enquiry phase Nils from AX Lightness was very prompt at returning e-mails. I originally ordered a EVO frame but have since cancelled due to unanswered technical issues relating to Campagnolo Ultra Torque compatibility. Not that I mind so much. Just a bit rude that AX Lightness have not answered my questions.

I would recommend anyone considering buying this frame with the intention of using Campagnolo Ultra Torque that although stated on AX Lightness website, no such adaptor exists making it possible to fit Ultra Torque Cranksets to this frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dman

by Dman

robhall2003 wrote:AX Lightness have not posted any update here, or on their website for a while now. Either they're all heads down in production or they've come across a problem. I'm waiting for replies to e-mail enquires I sent weeks ago and have had no reply. Unusual as during my initial enquiry phase Nils from AX Lightness was very prompt at returning e-mails. I originally ordered a EVO frame but have since cancelled due to unanswered technical issues relating to Campagnolo Ultra Torque compatibility. Not that I mind so much. Just a bit rude that AX Lightness have not answered my questions.

I would recommend anyone considering buying this frame with the intention of using Campagnolo Ultra Torque that although stated on AX Lightness website, no such adaptor exists making it possible to fit Ultra Torque Cranksets to this frame.

This might help anyone looking for adapters as WheelsMFG make a few (in this case BB386):
http://wheelsmfg.com/complete-crankset-bb-adapter-guide

robhall2003

by robhall2003

Dman wrote:
robhall2003 wrote:AX Lightness have not posted any update here, or on their website for a while now. Either they're all heads down in production or they've come across a problem. I'm waiting for replies to e-mail enquires I sent weeks ago and have had no reply. Unusual as during my initial enquiry phase Nils from AX Lightness was very prompt at returning e-mails. I originally ordered a EVO frame but have since cancelled due to unanswered technical issues relating to Campagnolo Ultra Torque compatibility. Not that I mind so much. Just a bit rude that AX Lightness have not answered my questions.

This might help anyone looking for adapters as WheelsMFG make a few (in this case BB386):

These do not work in the case of the EVO as AX Lightness have built in carbon shims reducing the volume of the bb from 46mm to 42mm

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I sent Ax Lightness two emails recently but no reply. Starbike says they have not received any framesets as of yet. I think I will hold off ordering one of these framesets until they start shipping and I start seing some reviews here on WW.

robhall2003

by robhall2003

robhall2003 wrote:
Dman wrote:

These do not work in the case of the EVO as AX Lightness have built in carbon shims reducing the volume of the bb from 46mm to 42mm

Update 14/5/14

Direct quote from Nils Wiedemann, AX Lightness

"I have had another customer in the meantime (from California) who was trying to fit his Campy Ultra-Torque crankset to his ALPHA frame which is sharing the same bottom bracket standard as the VIAL or VIAL evo. He has apparently been ordering all available Campagnolo bottom brackets to test them out and initially stated one of these would be fitting which after all has turned out to be wrong. So in effect and unless one was machining the adapter oneself I indeed do not see a conventional way to use Ultra-Torque cranks on this bottom bracket type. The newer Campy Over-Torque cranks will however without the need of any further adaptors.

The engage Clade e11 frame in the meantime uses a standard BB386evo bottom bracket; standard in that uses conventional Press-Fit bearings (PF30 or specific BB386evo ones), consisting of bearings cups + bearings. Here the FSA adapter for Campagnolo Ultra-Torque cranks will work right out of the box. On our own ax frames however we leave away the cups in favour of carbon bearing seats, which not only saves weight (ca. 25 gms) but also increases the stiffness (carbon obviously is a lot stiffer than nylon respectively plastic as used for the cups). So here the FSA Campy adapter will not work as explained before."

Stegger

by Stegger

I have been exchanging emails with Ax Lightness over the last few weeks - albeit with a little slower responds time but still I have gotten replies. I also informed them that I think they should get a reply out to everyone here about what is holding up them pushing in the new Vial Evo frames out.
I still expect to receive my new frame in the coming weeks :-)

Stegger

by Stegger

I just read this update on the AX lightness Facebook page, which show a few pictures of lines up frames but also describe the reason for their late shipping of the new frames:
ax VIAL evo – delivery has commenced!

We are delighted as well as also very proud to finally be in the position to having sent out the first VIAL evo production frames this week!!!

The delay has been very unfortunate and merely down to something as trivial as the paint job. For itself a very minor piece of the puzzle, yet nonetheless an important quality of the frame with it not only being planned and constructed but just as well also produced, laminated, finished, painted, quality assured as well as distributed centrally with us in here in Bavaria, Germany!
We nonetheless explicitly want to apologize to all waiting customers for the delay as well as to thank you for the understanding and trust and are confident to be able to pay back for it with a top-quality product, handmade in Germany.

Each frame comes with its own certificate of authenticity, stating the type of frame (VIAL evo / VIAL evo D), the size as well as the serial number.

There is also going to be a test of the VIAL evo D in the next issue of German RoadBike magazine (issue 07 2014, available from June 18th) as well as a test on Bikeradar shortly.
The test bikes that have already been floating around for thousands of happy kilometers as well as our internal and external testing make us very positive to have something really special at hands here – not even talking about the strictly limited production numbers due to the massive amount of handwork and technology involved!

ax VIAL evo (D) – at dealers around you very shortly!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So hopefully several of us will see a delivery soon :-)

Krull

by Krull

please post some frame-weights before starting the build.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

May i please request some photos of the frame and bottom bracket cups. Also, which crankset are the future owners planning on using?

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

May i please request some photos of the frame and bottom bracket cups. Also, which crankset are the future owners planning on using?

Stegger

by Stegger

Hi mnmasotto,
is this what you were looking for:

I am not sure if I am going for a regular Dura Ace (Stages) or a Rotor 3D+ (Power2max).

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Yes that is what i was looking for. That is beautiful. I assume you received your frame or is that a ax lightness photo? How about more photos

marcob

by marcob

Finally received mine!!

First impressions: very industrial looking, raw finish, some slightly imperfections in the finish but no big deal
Weight frame: size XL 795 grams (with headset and bb bearings, seatpostclamp)
Weight Fork: 360 grams (uncut, with expander)

Pictures:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stegger

by Stegger

mnmasotto wrote:Yes that is what i was looking for. That is beautiful. I assume you received your frame or is that a ax lightness photo? How about more photos

I agree it looks really great, but not my frame unfortunately, "just" an AX Lightness photo I received upon my enquiry about the dimension of the BB area. However I do have tentative information that my frame will be ready in maybe 3 weeks time, so getting closer. Since they just shipped out some frames I expect some real weights, reviews and builds showing up here at WW soon!