Giant xtc advanced diet program

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chris47

by chris47

Hi guys, im new here and i need some help and oppinions, to get my bike race ready.
First of all, she weighs 10.9 kgs :cry:
secondly, im olny a student, so i have a limited budget.
specs
frame: giant xtc advanced 3
fork: rockshox reba 27.5 (1600g)
wheels: giant pxc-2 (1968g)
Crank: shimano xt
groupset: shimano xt. front d i slx
tires: schwalbe racing ralphs tubeless (545g)
brakes: shimano xt
saddle: bontrager (267g)
seatpost: giant (338g)
handlebar: ritchey carbon (146g)
grips: esi silicone

things i want to change
Wheels: stans crest, novatech hubs 1438g (save 530g, g per $=0.86)
seat: selle italia slr 115g (save 152g, g per $=0,75g)
seatpost: ritchey wcs 185g (save 153g, g per $=1.06g)
brakes: formula r1 (save 278g, g per $=1.13)

I would then appreciate if you guys have better suggestions.

michel2

by michel2

that sella saddle is not coming in at 115 gram..
try some expedo ti pedals, good light and not to expensive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Does your bike have the OD2 steerer?

Don't buy Ritchey, it's overpriced for most things. There are better options for the seatpost, even if you need setback.

Before changing to R1's you could run some light rotors and aluminum backed pads to save a good amount of weight for very little money.

AdyM

by AdyM

We have the same bike! (Close enough anyway)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122419

Haven't changed a huge amount, all the cockpit+contact points (I bought ritchey as it was massively reduced)
Gone to tubeless on the tires and a 1x10 setup and shifted a kilo off the total weight.

chris47

by chris47

hey adym, its a sweet bike. love the 27.5 wheels
problem is that i have already gone tubeless, and 1 by 10 isn't an option, as i mainly do marathon style races, so the terrain varies from tarmac, to 20 percent gradients on hills.
unless you can easily swap 1 by 10 to 2 by 10. ( 15-20 min fix).

did you do anything to the brakes? i think that they weigh quite a bit

jooo

by jooo

If you have a normal steerer and not a Giant OD2, an UNO stem with Ti bolts is a great weight saving for a small amount of money.

Getter

by Getter

Wheels and go 1x.

jooo

by jooo

@Getter - Didn't you read the thread? chris47 mentions 1x not really being an option just 2 posts before yours...

@chris47 - Like I said, aluminum backed pads and some light rotors like KCNC Razors can save a good amount of weight for very little outlay. I'm not sure how much the Crest/Novatec wheelset will cost you, but have you investigated pre-built Chinese carbon as another option? The rim weights are similar or slightly heavier than Crests, but they're also much stiffer if that's something you're concerned about?

chris47

by chris47

stiffness is not an issue, as i only weigh 43kg

AdyM

by AdyM

43kgs!? Wow, what size is your frame?
I haven't changed the brakes...yet. I want to get the new xtr M9000 when they are available, I think they look great and I like shimano braking performance so don't want to switch to formula. 1x10 - 2x10 will be quite a long procedure to change especially with internal cabling that is just a bit more annoying, so maybe something like a sram XX crank could shift some grams. I would quite like to get the raceface next crank, but it's expensive on it's own then you need a new BB and chainring!

Also, no it isn't the OD2 steerer on the reba, at least I'm 95% sure it isn't, just a regular tapered. (I changed the stem on mine no problem)

Yeah, well I certainly love my bike, so I can say you made a good choice!

chris47

by chris47

yep, 43 kgs. i'm only 14, so i chose 650b over a 29er and i ride a medium sized frame.
the only downside to the medium sized frame is that i cannot fit a full sized bottle on the seat tube. i am avery fast climber, and i normally open gaps to my competitors on the climbs, and i feel that a lighter bike will help me in such scenarios.
my only source of "income" is from race winnings, so thats why i am looking for the best deals, before buying.
my dad has some used formula r1 brakes, which i might be able to buy for ~$200

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I have a chinese carbon seatpost, they sell for about $30-35 and are circa 180g, not had any issues with it at all.

It's also worth sweating the small stuff, minimising cable lengths for example is effectively free, it may only save 10-15g but that g/$ is good, If you have a remote on the fork, do you use it, of you don't then bin it, minimising hose runs helps a little but you'll need new olives at least.

Brakes, alloy backed pads and lightweight rotors makes a big saving (I'm on a budget so use Alligator which can be had from about $18 each), also consider ally bolts in the clamps to the bars, I got some XTR callipers cheap and saved nearly 40g on the rear by using an IS mount on the rear with no adaptor, I also used the lighter XTR retaining pin in my direct mounted PM XT (badged Saint, but same item) front.

Bit out of date now but you may see some budget ideas in the link in my sig, my bike is now down to 9.9kg.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

c90sx

by c90sx

i would say to try to save some money go all ti bolts first. giant has some light and inexpensive after market parts, seat post, bars and stem. then maybe a normal set of stan's crest whls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilddemon

by wilddemon

Skewers?