AX-Lightness SRT CC 29er Clincher

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Has anyone built a wheelset using these rims yet? They look very nice from the description. I think ENVE's 29 XC rims are too narrow for a modern XC rim. Also, the ENVEs are quite a bit heavier (57 g per rim).

AX-Lightness SRT CC 29er Clincher rim: http://ax-lightness.de/en/cycling/bike- ... -clincher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ENVE 29 XC: http://www.enve.com/wheels/mtb/29XC.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by the_marsbar on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

I am looking at their 27.5 rims and have been back and forth with AX lightness about them.

These definetly have the best width/weight ratio for xc/marathon etc. use of any other rim that is out on the market today. Like you said everything else is either too narrow or too wide or too heavy. Tough choice only due to the price. Works out best to get a wheelset instead of rims alone.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I have the 26" version... they are stiff, light, and they seem to have great momentum.

DanW

by DanW

I have the 26" version...

Not a clincher though surely?

nrsnow

by nrsnow

DanW wrote:
I have the 26" version...

Not a clincher though surely?

Correct, mine are tubular

sx5r

by sx5r

Hi,

I had a similar problem some days back (light weight wheels, nice width for Trail/AM, reasonable rigidity). Especially the trail/AM-Part was hard to find since most manufacturers officially only approve CC use.

However, german Bike-Magazin" tested the 27,5 CC Clincher wheel set (briefly) with bottom line
"(+) extremely stiff, tremendous acceleration (-) exorbitant cost, boring look"

Since that was a bit unspecific, I contacted the author directly to find out about possible AM use of the AX lightness (I mean, why would anyone use a rim with 25mm inner width strictly for XC?)

20 mins later I got the following answer:
"I've tested the wheels XC style, full throttle with short ups and downs on winding single trails here in Munich. The wheels apparently have no weight limit when it comes to the rider. According to AX lightness the wheels will be used by Markus Klausmann for enduro racing this year. I myself have looked at their production facility - impressive, everything by hand. Nontheless, they remain lightweight wheels. Especially when you use it for Enduro with less air pressure, snakebites can happen. For AM i see no problem at all."

Sounded promising enough. Since I won't need the wheels until midsummer, I'll keep an eye on Klausmanns Enduro Bike. =)

hope that helps

cheers

p.s. the original mails were in german ;-)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That sounds great. Thanks for the info :)

I suppose Alexandra Engen will be using them too.

sx5r

by sx5r

:mrgreen:
Our google works the same i see.

Yes, the Ghost HTX Lector uses the AX lightness clincher with Tune hubs (instead of Extralight as tested by Bike-Magazin)

And it is the only bike i could find to use the wheel set.

cheers

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Has anyone had any experience with these rims (durability)? I'm thinking of buying a wheelset with 240s hubs and these rims.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

There seem to be surprisingly little interest in these wide (33 mm outer, 25 mm inner) and light (325 g) rims.

robgall13

by robgall13

The new Enve M50 Fifty 29er rim from Enve is now only 330g. Hookless design too, not as wide as the AX but probably a better warranty.

Holy

by Holy

Hey!

I got a set of those.

1288gr for the set.

Cx ray spokes and the front hub is a Cannonbal SL because I use a Lefty.

Holy

by Holy

the_marsbar wrote:How do you find them? :)

Bike is still being built so I can only say I find them pretty as hell! :D

I'm waiting on an axle from E|P to build the bike unfortunately. It must be custom made to fit :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com