Campagnolo 100gr defect!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wowja

by wowja

So I just purchased a set of Neutron Ultra from Wiggle (I'm in the US) and the fronts weighed 642g, rear at 935g! I'm a little disappointed since the claim weights are 630g and 840g respectively. The weenie in me wants to do something about it but I don't want to deal with Wiggle (I just another $74 bill from DHL customs).

Is the weight discrepancy enough to warrant I can go Campagnolo USA to get an exchange on the rear wheel or through some other channel I can use? I'm a little ticked that this brand new set didn't turn out the way it was suppose to on my brand new build and I got charged by customs! Advise please...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Shimano freehub?

No lockring?

No skewers?

No rim tape?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wowja

by wowja

No, no, no, and no.

What should I do? I know my scale isn't wrong since I've weighed all the other parts at reasonable weights. I'm bummed.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Bear in mind that wheel weights given by Campagnolo are "dry", that is, no grease (probably 20g or so), and historically have been subject to a +/-5% tolerance in the quoted as against the actual weight.

You'd almost certainly find similar variations in other makers' products.

We had the reverse problem the other day - a guy with a set of Zondas, concerned that his wheels were under-weight ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Go ahead and see what Campy USA will do for you.

My guess, they will give you the same support you gave them. It's funny how people want to save money, but still expect the same [or more] customer support.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've got 2 sets of Neutrons, one older non-ultra, and one ultra that came in within a few grams of Campy's stated weights.

I've always considered their weights as being pretty accurate, so am a little surprised at a 100g difference on the rear wheel.

That's more than 10%.

Coincidentally, this is the second thread in the recent past talking about new Neutrons being overweight.

I recently had a minor problem with a crankset product description of Wiggle's. It resulted in me buying a BB that I didn't need (it also came with the crankset). I opened a live chat and the problem was resolved almost instantly, and in a very fair way, with a 100% refund on my spare BB.

Suggest you give it a try. Remember the time difference.

One.

LionelB

by LionelB

Just go ride.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And how much was it to return the BB? Probably a whole bunch less than returning the wheel set [which is what the OP was indicating].

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Butcher wrote:And how much was it to return the BB? Probably a whole bunch less than returning the wheel set [which is what the OP was indicating].

I got to keep the BB.

I'm not suggesting a return, but just explaining the problem to them and see what they suggest.

One.

dj97223

by dj97223

What scale are you using? Can you check the wheel weight on another scale?
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

wowja

by wowja

Ok so I called Campagnolo North America and they explained the 100gr difference is due to a steel Shimano/Sram freehub body vs the alloy Campagnolo. So I guess it makes sense freewheels designed for a market competitor is made with cheaper (heavier) materials.

Will I be able to buy a titanium or alloy shimano/sram freewheel for the Campy hubs? I tried searching but seems unclear if its interchangeable.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

wowja wrote:Ok so I called Campagnolo North America and they explained the 100gr difference is due to a steel Shimano/Sram freehub body vs the alloy Campagnolo. So I guess it makes sense freewheels designed for a market competitor is made with cheaper (heavier) materials.

Will I be able to buy a titanium or alloy shimano/sram freewheel for the Campy hubs? I tried searching but seems unclear if its interchangeable.

I asked you if it was a shimano freehub.

And the answer was "no".

One.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If you know anything about Shimano free hubs and cassettes, you will probably understand why an alloy free hub is not the way to go.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

wowja wrote:Ok so I called Campagnolo North America and they explained the 100gr difference is due to a steel Shimano/Sram freehub body vs the alloy Campagnolo. So I guess it makes sense freewheels designed for a market competitor is made with cheaper (heavier) materials.

The Shimano cassette body is steel as they use far shallower splines than Campagnolo, and the load bearing area is far smaller in consequence - Shimano use steel in their own product - it's got nothing to do with Campagnolo making for compatibility with a competitor at a cheaper prices / heavier material, it's just basic engineering.

You need to bear in mind this is the same part as they use in the Fulcrum wheels, which are targetted at the OE market with it's preponderance of Shimano (and in come markets, SRAM) components.

AFAWK there are no Ti cassette bodies available to fit Campagnolo hubs, with Shimano *or* Campag splines - anyone know of anything out there?
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

14 posts and the answer was in the 2nd, denied in the 3rd, and confirmed in the 11th. :roll: