Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Method01

by Method01

crankdxb wrote:Photos received yesterday from Far Sports, 38x23 UD Matte clincher 2014 model laced in Bitex hubs.
Order was placed last 11th + lead time & now it's currently on the way to my shipping address.

This is the high temperature braking surface?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

crankdxb

by crankdxb

Yes it is as mentioned on their website for the latest rim models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

A mate is going to buy two wheel sets plus some other parts from Farsports.
Shipping with EMS is not available for his country.
Contacted me of what to do.
I have helped him out by contacting Farsports through their sales mail address.
Now Farsports is going to send an invoice to my mate for which he shall pay for.
Is somebody out there who knows their PayPal account's address?
Thanks in advance.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

eric

by eric

they should tell you what it is. it changes.

Shortsocks

by Shortsocks

Just some more updates...

I now have 8000 miles on my 2014 U shaped 38mm farsports. No ISSUES at all. I do keep the wheels extremely clean. I wash the brake surface, as well as inspect them, every three rides. Unless there is rain. Then I immediately clean the wheels. I Keep the brake pads very clean as well. Over all Im very satisfied with this wheelset.

Braking hasnt been an issue at all. In fact Ive gotten very adjusted to how it brakes. The still is very little wheel squeaking , but they are louder when braking. But that seems to be a carbon wheel thing.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

crankdxb wrote:Photos received yesterday from Far Sports, 38x23 UD Matte clincher 2014 model laced in Bitex hubs.
Order was placed last 11th + lead time & now it's currently on the way to my shipping address.

Will give report for some update once arrived.

What's the weight of this wheelset? what's the weight if use Novatec hubs.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

Hi everybody, although I donot always around here, pay much attention on forum.
Might some time cannot do response in time, you can feel free to contact me by email directly: sales2@farsports.cn.
I will try to reply in details. Kind Regards---kyle Fu.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

huguest

by huguest

Since I found a lot of good advice here, I wanted to post my experience with purchasing FarSports wheels. I had some Easton circuit wheels, and although I never had any problems with them, wanted to upgrade and try to reduce some of the weight.

After reading a lot on the web, I decided to consider buying carbon clinchers from FarSports. I decided to contact Kyle directly since people seemed happy with his service. When I first contacted him with my questions, he was very quick to respond (keeping in mind that there is a big time difference between the East Coast and China). His responses were fairly brief but did address my questions. After a few emails, I decided to order a set of 24 x 23 mm carbon clinchers with ED Hub 2:1 (for what it's worth, I'm 5'9" and 137 lbs).

15 days after placing my order, I received an email with picture of the wheels, also indicating that they were ready to ship, and received the tracking information in a separate email the next day.

9 days later, the wheels arrived home (without any delay and extra fee at Canadian customs). The wheels were well packaged, and looked great. I don't have a scale at home, but FarSport reported the weight of my set to be 520 g front and 670 g rear for a total of 1190 g. This is 510 g (1.1 lbs) lighter that my Easton wheels.

After unpacking the wheels, I proceeded to mounts the tires. I don't know if it is the wheels, the new Michelin Lithion 2 tires (I had never used them before) or both but it has never been so difficult to mount tires. I finally succeeded after 4 (yes 4!) pinch flats (was much easier when I had my first flat on the road, so I guess that the tires stretched a little).

I only managed to ride about 500 km so far but first impressions are really good. I don't know if it's the weight, width, new tires, and certainly some placebo effect but so far, I am really pleased about how the bike handles with the new wheels. Speed is good (for this time of the year), and the ride feels a lot smoother than before. Braking is not as good as with aluminum rims, but still very manageable. I did my first ride in the rain today, and it was a little more challenging, just had to be more careful about planning ahead and not gaining too much speed in long descents. So in conclusion, very pleased with my wheels for now.

eric

by eric

Carbon clinchers tend to have less of a "well" between the rim walls than aluminium rims. If you don't use a thin rim strip it'll be tough to mount tight tires (like Contis).

Irish

by Irish

Eric, that is true, but veloplugs work a treat. and I've had no real problem fitting tyres to the sets of Farsports rims I have (38 and 50mm).

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Yes, Veloplugs is a cure for many a carbon rim with shallow/narrow beds.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

As a contrast, I have veloplugs in 2 sets of 38's and the tyres are a nightmare to get on. Have changed lots of different tyres on lots of wheels and the farsports are the only ones which I use levers to get the last bit of the tyre on - I can roll them on but then find the tube hard to centre ok the rim.

eric

by eric

I used Veloplugs in my 2012 50mm farsports rims. I can't fit Conti attack/force tires on them. Too tight.
I used a thin plastic strip on my 2014 u shaped 38mm farsports and those same tires went on easily.

The rims are different of course so that may be the difference. But I think the veloplugs stick up more than thin tape like Stans or Rox or even the woven plastic loops I used. BTW someone on a different form suggested 1 mil Kapton tape. Including the silicone adhesive its 2.5 mil or .06mm. Takes two layers, so about .12mm. Veloplugs stick up quite a bit more than that. I've yet to try it but it's supposed to work well.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

in 2014, we can find many kinds of carbon wheels/rims from XiaMen china, like road wheels with different width, 20.5mm/23mm/25mm/27mm. the wheels used high-end hubs and spokes(like Sapim Cx-ray). the weight is lighter than normal wheelset, they can fit our high-end demands very well. here highly recommend IPLAY, Farsports,etc.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobtom

by bobtom

I purchased my 50mm farsports clinchers back in mid-January. They arrived around three weeks later.

After 2000 or so miles the wheels are still straight and holding up great. I weigh 200 pounds and the roads in Colorado are not the greatest, so that is no small feat.

The pads are due for replacement soon and will heat up and squeak on long descents, but that is nothing specific to these wheels. I was skeptical going into this but am about to order a second set for another bike.