BMC SLR02 - Custom build Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

This is my second BMC bike. The first one was basically given to me, so it was not brand new and eventually the dropouts in the frame has failed and it is gonna be replaced under warranty.

Since I'm racing for local BMC dealer the new bike needed to come from BMC brand. SLR01 is way to expensive and SLR02 is very similar to SLR01, the problem was that SLR02 is not sell as a frameset. So I have bought SLR02 Ultegra, because of nice colour scheme. I have stripped everything down and starting to build my own bike. It is a bike for racing - I wanted for the parts to be reliable, stiff and relatively cheap. So no carbon handlebars or stem.

Groupset needed to be electronic - I was on my 7970 Di2 for too long. Every time I needed to switch for a manual gruppo I appreciated how great the Di2 actually is. You dont even know that there is something like FD/RD and you can completely focus on the race. Ultegra Di2 6870 is probably almost as good as Dura-Ace, but from my experience Dura-Ace will handle racing demands much better. And the look of 9070 is simply stunning.

I was disappointed with my Zipp 404 - I mean the rims are awesome. I even love the way the 404 looks and what a sound they make, but the hubs? Oh god, never again. It was the old model from 2011, but friends had problems with 2013 hubs as well. So I was looking for something more bombproof and hopefully more rare. Contacted local dealer for Veloflex/FMB/A. Dugast and I have actually discovered he is selling Corimas as well. Get better deal on "S" version (Different hubs and spokes) and I they are great. Stiff, butter smooth hubs and handle road buzz quite well.

Didnt really have a time to make nice photos, so just this crappy one.

The parts eventually shape up like this:

Frame:
BMC SLR02 57

Fork/Headset:
BMC

Crankset/Bottom Bracket:
Dura-Ace 7900 SRM 53/39 (7800 Arms)

Drivetrain/Chain:
Shimano Ultegra 6800 11-25 // Shimano Dura-Ace 9000

Derailleurs/Shifters:
Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070

Handlebars/Stem:
3T Rotundo 42cm // 3T ARX 130 -17°

Saddle/Seatpost:
Selle Italia Flite Flow // BMC 18mm setback

Brakes/Pads:
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 // SwissStop Yellow FlashPro

Front Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Corima Aero "S" // Veloflex Roubaix 25

Rear Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Corima Aero "S" // Veloflex Roubaix 25

Accessories:
Cables: Shimano
Computer mount: FlyBar 2.0 for Garmin
Tape: 3T Team Tape
Bottle Cages: Tacx Tao

Hope you like it!

// Typos and photo
Last edited by GorrGrimWolf on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

It' really nice overall. Corima wheels look great on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Love it! So much better than the red/black colourway.

plpete

by plpete

Very nice build. Curious as to what the frame weight is for the SLR02. It's a very smart frame allowing you to run both cable and electronic groups with the removable cable stops.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Any frame built with proper saddle-to-bar drop, proper stem length, setback seatpost and a SRM is a great looking bike.

So when it's a BMC frame it is an even more awesome bike.

With beige tubulars damn, ice on the cake.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Thanks guys for nice comments. I forget to weight the frame since I was in hurry to make the bike ready for upcoming race. But the frame is really amazing with the ride quality - much stiffer than RM01 and also in overall better than 2013 SLR01.

I would like to drop some weight from the build as well, definitely there is opportunity in the crankset (probably switch to 9000 crankset with Stages). Also cassette could be switch to Dura-Ace, but I don't think price is worth it. Or where do you thinks I could save a big chunk of weight for relatively little money? I guess in details and small parts...

Veloflex Roubaix is great tubular. Really grippy even in wet conditions and so comfortable - love the gum sidewalls. Normally I'm using heavy clinchers for training, but now I'm considering some low profile tubulars with high spoke count hubs. Any ideas, preferably relatively cheap?

I have tried to make some better pictures. Little teasing below. More on my Flickr.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Great looking bike! Really liking BMC at the moment. Would be very curious to see what you make of the Stages power meter if you switch from the SRM.

In terms of cheap(ish) low profile tubs I would have thought something like Ambrosio Nemesis rims on Shimano Ultegra hubs would be good. I recently had a set built onto Campag Record hubs and have been very impressed.

Miles253

by Miles253

That is a stunning ride, the setup is just very pro. Great job, Corima wheels look great too.
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

paradawt

by paradawt

Wooowww looks fast :D

Love the Corima wheels.
Berria Belador 7

RM27

by RM27

Like to hear your feedback on the wheels when you have some miles on them.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Well i have tried to write down my feedback on the wheels. Hopefully I will find a time to review the frameset as well, since there is almost no information about the SLR02 online. The lacking of small technical details even on BMC website is quite annoying... No manual, nothing. So hopefully I will cover some questions in near future.

Corima Aero S

Ride quality - Corima is really a comfortable wheelset. The first thing I have noticed is how good they feel on rough roads. They simply don't transfer the road buzz and make almost no noise on bad surface. Corima is filling the rim with foam and this is probably the reason why they feel this way. On the other hand they still feel responsive and you don't have a dull feeling. I used to ride Zipp 303/404 and Corima beats them easily in quality of the ride. When cruising at high speeds they barely make a noise, but the distinctive “vooosh, vooosh” is still there when you start swaying bike from side to side.

At speed - The wheels roll nicely at high speeds and I didn't have a feeling of being slow. Zipp 404 are probably faster in aero lab, but the differences will be marginal. On the other hand I found them more enjoyable in crosswinds than Zipp’s. You can definitely feel that you are on deep profile wheels, but Corima are really easy to handle and act predictably. You can feel the constant push from the rim, but the sudden gusts are almost eliminated. The internal nipples are helping to lower the drag and keeping the clean look, but its just a pain in the ass to service, especially on tubular rim.

Climbing/Sprinting - Aero S are really stiff wheels. It is almost not possible to rub the brake pads and I found my self enjoying sprints much more. They are firm and joy to climb in big ring, yet they don't jump around on bad surface under power. Even when pushing 800+ watts there is almost no flex. The weight of the wheelset is reasonable and they feel nice when changing the pace when climbing. The hubs are butter smooth and the wheels has almost no drag and its really easy to spin them. Sudden accelerations are something when they really shine.

Braking - The Corima red brake pads are included and should be used. SwissStop Yellows are offering more raw stopping power, but its harder to modulate it and you can feel a small pulsation under heavy braking. The red pads on the other hand offering amazing braking consistency and power modulation. The brake pulsation is completely eliminated when using Corima’s brake pads, so does any noise when braking. The same applies for wet conditions - lacking a stopping power, but the sudden break application, once the rim gets dry, is almost eliminated. They feel predictable when breaking and are really stable on long descent, even in wet conditions. The overall braking distance seems to be little longer, but I have find myself feeling more confident when braking, especially in the bunch, with Corimas than with Zipps.

Details - The hubs are incredibly easy to service, roll with no drag and are beautifully made. Cassette bodies are changeable with hands only and there is no need removing a cassette from the hub body. Which is great for someone owning two bikes (SRAM/Shimano and Campy). There is also no noise from spokes crossing, which sometimes cannot be said about different wheelsets. The Corima's looks is really a distinctive thanks to the unique carbon wave and clearly they attract attention.

Would love to answer you questions!

Spaetzle

by Spaetzle

To classify your review on stiffness it would be nice to know your weight.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I'm in 70-72kg range. I'm not powerful sprinter, but I was able to tell the difference between Zipps and Corimas almost immediately. My threshold power output is around 310-315 watts.

plasticol

by plasticol

Nice bike. I like the new BMC's look, looks efficient, fast and comfortable. The bike looks very pro, with a significant drop and high and "tall" seat post. The only criticism I would have to your nice setting would be in the wheels. I love Corimas, but the "metal" look in the spokes seams a bit old school. Also the gum side walls are detracting form the overall theme, IMHO they would look much better with all black tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@plasticol - no & no. The spokes match well with the various DA components and Veloflex = pro :thumbup: