Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strangely

by strangely

I'm on my second and I have a feeling due to the noise it's making again, it's about to be the third :(

Long time DA user and I'm very disappointed. Just hope somebody doesn't get seriously hurt!

I live close to the USA headquarters, so I think I might see if I can get down there to complain personally about this next week when I get back home.

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

743power wrote:It was under 10g difference between my old filthy cassette from my cross bike and the new updated cassette.

Hi 743power or anyone with the new updated 9000 cassett, Would you know who would have the new version in stock as I'm having a hard time finding one

Cheers

Rich

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

how can you tell one is updated.. part number update ? anything else.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

spdntrxi wrote:how can you tell one is updated.. part number update ? anything else.

Scroll back a page and look at the picture 743power posted, it show the largest titanium sprockets rivited to the carbon spider via two rivits per arm.

Hopefully should cure the problema.

bigfloor

by bigfloor

Hi, I just checked my CS-9000 11-25 cassette, the largest sprockets aren't on a carbon spider ! It looks like aluminium. The second largest cluster of sprockets is still on a carbon spider though.

Nailoni

by Nailoni

I received my new replaced dura-ace cassette today (11-25). This is my second time i got new replacement after broken spider. Sad news when I opened the package, the cassette is the same crappy old desing.. I'm not going to use even this because it's dangerous when it fails. I live in europe. It would be nice to know where to get those new versions or do they even exist?

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

petal666 wrote:Di2 doesn't need fine tuning. It's not sram.

Still fiddling with it every now and then. :noidea:

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

After 2.000km Casette is OK for now, only RD wheels jockeys are becoming strangely loud in some gears when on a big chainring. At least I think they are making that noise. :noidea:

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The photo I posted was of the 19-21-23 carrier from an 11-28 cassette. The part # for the complete cassette is the same, but the part number for the smaller titanium clusters has changed. See here:

Jul 2012: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 807221.pdf

Jan 2014: (go to http://si.shimano.com/ and type in cs-9000 and click the link for the " EV-CS-9000-3324A"
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

quicksilverdk

by quicksilverdk

Hallo, I am new on this site but I fully close to this thread for a long time. I have the same Crackling noise under hard torque from still in the first 5 sprocket 25-17. I bought brand new mechanical group last summer and have been in contac with Shimano in DK since, I got swapped for a new cassette a littel later but this did not solve the problem. I have waited and waited a long time for a new model of 9000 cassette. Then I got one the other day and I could tell the difference, I've seen that there is a picture of the same earlier in the thread "double rivets" do not know if this is the right name for it. Anyway, it did not fix the issue, the cassette is fitted with the grease as Shimano recommend and are tightened to 40nm. I have not written for Shimano to say that there is still noise from the cassette. This weekend I will put a new chain on, one from KMC, the new model DLC diamond in black and red, maybe this helps? Or I must have the cassette credited with Shimano, so that I buy an SRAM XG1190. I really think Shimano have a serious problem here, and I will not accept to get a Ultegra cassette on it, Shimano says that is the solution here in dk. Excuse my bad english.

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

quicksilverdk wrote:.....This weekend I will put a new chain on, one from KMC, the new model DLC diamond in black and red, maybe this helps? ....

Any thoughts on KMC DCL Chain with 9000 gruppo?

quicksilverdk

by quicksilverdk

Chain solved unfortunately not the problem with noise from the cassette, but my overall vision, the gear drive is bleed and quiet, and it looks good. So yes I believe KMC perform better the Shimano's 9000 chain, but the price is to high.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darceking

by Darceking

I broke my cluster today. 3000kms old. Stopped at some lights. As I took off, CRACK!! Landed nuts first on the top tube and dragged my embarrassed ass across the road to look. Yep, destroyed cluster. Lucky I had a spare Ultegra 11 speed at home and took it straight to the bike shop to get replaced. But considering I raced on the weekend and contested the sprint, I am glad it didnt happen then. I have had a chain snap during a sprint before and it did not end well for me.

pretty pissed off that a $60 cluster is safer and I offers a better piece of mind then a $200 cluster from the same company.