Custom Stainless Steel Frame Builders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a custom frame built, using stainless steel(something like Reynolds 953). Main reason for not going to Ti is I don't think I would be able to justify the increase in price over stainless steel for the small decrease in weight.

I have a list of ideas so far, but they don't match with any of the 'stock' frames that the likes of Enigma or Brian Rourke make, so I'm looking for input on who would be best to make something a little left-field. My desires/requirements at this point are:

Oversize tubing - I'm 1.95m and don't like my head tube looking too big, so the idea was to use an external headset to cut off a little bit of head tube, and also oversized tubing(I think the 953 Super Oversized is something like 34.9mm diameter) to help boost stiffness as well as reduce the gap between the top and down tubes.

External cup bottom bracket - I really don't like press fit bearings, they just don't work with the Scottish climate!

I would like to run the rear brake at the chain stays(like the Madone) and use wishbone seatstays because I like the really clean profile view it gives.

Clearance for 27/28mm tyres.

27.2mm seat post to offset some of the loss of comfort from using the larger/stiffer tubes.

Internal cable routing if possible.

I think that was about it for now. I'm looking for any suggestions of good builders, as I'm acutely aware that the frame will only be as good as the person building it! Ideally they would be UK based, but if there are better builders elsewhere I would like to know and be happy to go to them, just trying to minimize the import duty/VAT. I have done a search but most of the builders suggested were US based(Firefly, Naked etc), hence the new topic.

Thanks,

Campbell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Anderson custom bicycles does amazing stainless work. Beautiful lugged frames. Pegoretti also offers stainless tig.

LionelB

by LionelB

firefly

KB

by KB

You can get your frame in the UK because there are good builders around. And it's usually cheaper than importing from the States.

I've had 2 frames from Enigma (1 TI, the other Columbus Spirit). They also build in 953. I also have a Spirit frame from Kevin Winter in Bishop Auckland. Then there is Rourke in Stoke and Mercian in Derby. They also build in 953. The new kid on the block is Ricky Feather, but he has a horrendous waiting list.

The are also other builders out there besides them. There's another builder based in Sheffield that makes lovely frames, but forgotten the name.

Mccaria

by Mccaria

http://www.bespoked.cc/bespoked2014exhi.html

Check out the exhibitors at Bespoked. Quite a few builders in stainless steel ranging from Established like Condor and Rourke through to a number of new builders. Have a browse.

This is my current 953 oversize build in progress courtesy of Jake Rusby :

http://instagram.com/p/nbLI-Zu-sd/

digger

by digger

It's great to see Kevin Winter is still going strong. I have fond memories of Ben Swifts custom winter, as a youth rider. Does he have a website, I'm guessing no. How do you get in touch?
Thanks,

KB

by KB

Kevin Winter's number, at least the one I have is 01740 652281. He doesn't have a website. The Spirit frame he made for me is still my favourite over everything else I've owned. It was also a pleasure dealing with him

KvnP

by KvnP

Spectrum - Strong - Crisp
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for all the responses so far, some builders I hadn't heard of. Keep them coming.

Cheers,

Campbell

phlip

by phlip

Pelizzoli quoted me 1600 EUR about a year ago for their frame made from Columbus XCr. http://www.pelizzoliworld.com/products/aeta-2/

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

KB wrote:Kevin Winter's number, at least the one I have is 01740 652281. He doesn't have a website. The Spirit frame he made for me is still my favourite over everything else I've owned. It was also a pleasure dealing with him

That number is still valid as far as I'm aware. Kevin is a real gent, a great frame builder and last time I was in there had some amazing paint work going on as well.

KB's Spirit bike is one of my all time favourites as well and I've not even ridden it! :D

bontie

by bontie

saffron bikes won best in show for this bike...

http://www.saffronframeworks.com/build/ ... road-bike/

digger

by digger

Great to hear that KW is still going strong. Have fond memories of his frames, when I was a Youth rider. Hopefully take the plunge on getting a custom frame in the future. Is he still making alloy frames? Have you got any photos of the Spirit?

Cheers
DW

rene5311

by rene5311

Shoot an email too Eric Estlund from Winter bikes. He is very responsive.

http://www.winterbicycles.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gregg

by Gregg

according to their website Arthur Caygill in Richmond, north Yorkshire is still doing custom steel.