Broke the derailleur hanger on my Trek 5200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

It isn't a warranty claim. Warranty covers design or manufacturing defects.

Trek have, and continue to offer factory replacement of lugged hangers for this series of bike.

It's about $90 + freight and the bike will need to be boxed and sent back to a distribution centre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latman

by latman

with that white substance/corrosion on the dropout there is no way that will be covered under warranty IMO

jspaceman

by jspaceman

An update:

I heard back from the bike shop today about my Trek 5200. They sent the frame into Trek and Trek noticed that there was also some other issue with the frame. I didn't find out the details, as the guy left a message on my answering machine while I was at work. Anyways, Trek is offering to give me a new frame. I have a choice of either a 56cm Madone 5 frame or a 56cm Domane 5 frame.

With the Madone I will need to shell out an extra $500 for the brakes and headset (Madones have integrated brake calipers). With the Domane I'll need to pay for a new headset. The guy from the bike shop didn't mention it in his message but I'm guessing I'll also have to pay for a new bottom bracket and crank; as my Trek 5200 had a cartridge style BB and Octalink Ultegra crank. Neither the Madone nor Domane support that.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Domane instead of the Madone. But I'm unsure if I should take the 56cm frame they offering. I'm 6'2". My Trek 5200 frame was 60cm. I would have thought that a 56cm would be too small for me, but I notice tall guys like Wiggins and Hesjedal are riding 56cm frames. I suppose with a longer stem it could fit.

I'll phone the bike shop back tomorrow and find out more details.

upside

by upside

Stick with a 60cm Trek..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's great that Trek is warrantying the frame for you but I don't understand the rational of offering you a different size. Perhaps the difference is the way they are measuring, if the 5200 was measured to top of top tube (how they used to measure) compared to how they are measuring now. Maybe it is in fact the equivalent size in today's frame. Have you compared the geo charts, like head tube length and top tube length etc, accounting for the difference between integrated headsets and external headsets.
But in any case, good news on the new frame. Enjoy it.
But whatever you do don't try to emulate Hesjedal's fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I don't understand it either. I'll have to inquire when I call the guy back. I looked at the geometry for both the 56cm Domane and my 60cm 5200. The Domane is definitely smaller, shorter top tube, etc. Unless they think they can make it fit me by putting a longer stem on it.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Looking at the geometry charts the head tube lengths are wildly different between the 5200 & the Domane. In part this is down to the move to an integrated headset but taking that into account the 5200 is still much lower. Do you have a pic of you on the 5200?

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Turns out the guy misread the email from Trek. He thought it said 56cm. He said that Trek usually ships the same size frame as the one you broke.

They tried to fix the derailleur hanger on my 5200, but when they pulled the dropout out they noticed some fractures inside the either the seat stay or chain stay tube where the hanger was glued. So the 5200 frame is dead.

They are offering me a new frame, either a Madone 5 or a Domane 5. I'll probably get the Domane. For an extra $800 I can upgrade to the Domane 6 frame. I'm considering that. But I want to stop by the shop first and take a 58cm Domane for a spin to see if a 58cm would fit me. If not I'll go for the 60cm.

The other issue is my crank and BB. The crank on my 5200 is an old Octalink Ultegra 6500, and the BB is a Dura-Ace 7700 cartridge style BB. Neither of those will fit the new frame, which is BB90. So I'm looking at having to upgrade the crank and BB as well. I asked about putting a new Ultegra 6800 crank and BB on the bike but according to the guy at the shop the Ultegra 6800 isn't compatible with a 9-speed drivetrain. So I'm looking at having to upgrade the entire drivetrain, :x

I'm thinking of just getting the Domane 6 frame for now and waiting until the fall/winter before buying a groupset for it and kind of turn it into a winter bike build project. It's not like I won't have another bike to ride this summer (I have another thread on this board about that).

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

jspaceman wrote:Turns out the guy misread the email from Trek. He thought it said 56cm. He said that Trek usually ships the same size frame as the one you broke.

They tried to fix the derailleur hanger on my 5200, but when they pulled the dropout out they noticed some fractures inside the either the seat stay or chain stay tube where the hanger was glued. So the 5200 frame is dead.

They are offering me a new frame, either a Madone 5 or a Domane 5. I'll probably get the Domane. For an extra $800 I can upgrade to the Domane 6 frame. I'm considering that. But I want to stop by the shop first and take a 58cm Domane for a spin to see if a 58cm would fit me. If not I'll go for the 60cm.

The other issue is my crank and BB. The crank on my 5200 is an old Octalink Ultegra 6500, and the BB is a Dura-Ace 7700 cartridge style BB. Neither of those will fit the new frame, which is BB90. So I'm looking at having to upgrade the crank and BB as well. I asked about putting a new Ultegra 6800 crank and BB on the bike but according to the guy at the shop the Ultegra 6800 isn't compatible with a 9-speed drivetrain. So I'm looking at having to upgrade the entire drivetrain, :x

I'm thinking of just getting the Domane 6 frame for now and waiting until the fall/winter before buying a groupset for it and kind of turn it into a winter bike build project. It's not like I won't have another bike to ride this summer (I have another thread on this board about that).

You're (shockingly!) getting a new frame. Consider yourself lucky.

Also, if putting a new group on your new frame is inconceivable, you could pick up any inexpensive Shimano Hollowtech crankset and use it with your 9sp group. Hell, you could use 9sp rings on any model prior to 6800/9000 (though all 10sp and, likely even 11sp, rings will shift fine with a 9sp chain).

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I read around online and I get the sense that a 11 speed 6800 crank will work with a 9 speed drivetrain. Can anyone confirm this? If so that would save me the cost of a whole groupset.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

It will "work" just not as well as a pure 11 or 9sd drive train

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

crimsonbadger wrote:You're (shockingly!) getting a new frame. Consider yourself lucky.

Why the shock? Trek's pretty good about honoring their warranties. I recently had my old 5-series warrantied, because of an undersized seatpost mast, which Trek admitted was an issue. Heck, they pretty much confirmed that I would be getting a new frame before they even had the frame in for inspection. In my experience, they've been nothing but helpful in getting things taken care of.

As for the original poster, one thing you can consider is getting a credit toward the purchase of a complete bike. From my experience, I was able to get a new Madone 5.2 for $1,000, after factoring in the warranty value of the old bike. Not a bad deal, at all. I ended up selling all the components that came off the old bike, plus what came on the new Madone, and upgraded to DA9000 for minimal cash outlay.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

FIJIGabe wrote:
crimsonbadger wrote:You're (shockingly!) getting a new frame. Consider yourself lucky.

Why the shock? Trek's pretty good about honoring their warranties. I recently had my old 5-series warrantied, because of an undersized seatpost mast, which Trek admitted was an issue. Heck, they pretty much confirmed that I would be getting a new frame before they even had the frame in for inspection. In my experience, they've been nothing but helpful in getting things taken care of.

As for the original poster, one thing you can consider is getting a credit toward the purchase of a complete bike. From my experience, I was able to get a new Madone 5.2 for $1,000, after factoring in the warranty value of the old bike. Not a bad deal, at all. I ended up selling all the components that came off the old bike, plus what came on the new Madone, and upgraded to DA9000 for minimal cash outlay.

Trek has an extraordinary warranty--one of the best in the industry.

I'm just surprised a broken derailleur hanger (which, I suppose, led to the discovery of a frame issue) was warranty-worthy. Even if the dropout is de-bonding, you'd expect that the hanger would not bend if it were clamped securely. That is, unless it were bent--damage that would merit crash replacement. Accordingly, the OP is a lucky chap.