new bike choices...

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin3182

by Kevin3182

Hey all,

Im deciding on a new mtb, and I'm really torn. First i can't decide on FS vs HT. Im not very strong descending, so I'm certainly leaning toward the FS as that would help my descending. However i can't stand pedal bob, for some reason it just drives me nuts. Climbing is where i win races, so anything that'll hold me back uphill where a HT will do better may irritate me.
Anyhow...
the FS choice is the Cannondale Scalpel carbon, likely with x01 or some kind of 1x10 set up.
The HT choice is the niner one9RDO, with x01 and either fox float 32, or Rockshox SID.

So!
Will i feel pedal bob, or any other major drawbacks when climbing with the scalpel?
and as far as choices for each bike what do you all think?

Thanks for the help!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robgall13

by robgall13

The Scalpel is a good choice but have a think about the Specialized Epic or Scott Spark? A FS is a little bit heavier and more expensive than an HT of course but the way it handles is will be determined by the shock and also how it's set up. Basically that side is down to yourself.

Personally I see less risk by going with a hardtail. Why not consider the Cannondale Flash, Specialized Stumpjumper, Open 1.0, Scott Scale etc. theres loads of choice when it comes to hardtails. I think the Niner frame is pretty heavy too at around 1250g.

Dozer

by Dozer

Look into the twinloc system on the Scott FS. One bar mounted thumb lever to lock out your suspension might be the answer to your problem. I imagine you could adapt such a bar mounted lockout to other brands as well if you don't like the Spark.

But, for sure, if you want a hard tail up the hills and a FS down you can have both in 1 bike.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Maybe a hard tail with a good dropper? Get your climbing efficiency but you can still drop the post and get steezy on the downhills.

DanW

by DanW

Ir really depends on your riding and racing. If I were doing anything less than 4 hours and racing usual XC course then it'd be an easy choice for a hardtail. Personally I don't think the real gains for a full sus come on the descents but more for when you are riding on the limits of your endurance (6/12/24 hour racing for a mere mortal non-pro :D ) and you need to be able to sit and spin more often on flat rougher terrain on the rough climbs. Most will have lockout nowadays so you can easily switch off the sus in situations when you might notice bob more. In shorter races you don't need that comfort, weight or efficiency because you have the energy to get out of the saddle and use the body more. For longer races that just isn't efficient. That would be my take anyway and I wouldn't personally go for a full sus for descending specifically.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

I've raced on hardtails from Spec., Giant and Scott and then moved to a full suspension 29er (Giant Anthem) last year. The FS bike is awesome for trail riding, however, I much preferred the hardtails for racing. I missed the responsiveness. I think hardtail + dropper post makes a lot of sense, not doing much racing anymore but if I get back into it that's the route I'd go. Hardtails are cheaper, lighter and lower maintenance also. Something to consider.

Edit to add:
dialed geometry and bike setup can help a hardtail descend well; wide bar, short stem, slack head angle (<70 deg like a Scott Scale) is a good place to start.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com