BB30a and Shimano Crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeshat

by bikeshat

Just an fyi since I've searched and searched on the subject and couldn't come across anything concrete...

I finished my 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod build last night, Di2, using a 7900 Srm crankset. I called Dan at Wheels Mfg and he shipped out their adaptor kit for this and it worked like a charm.

The kit comes with 2 machined adaptors and a series of 8 washers in different widths. Took about 3 tries until I got it dialed. Ultimately I needed to use 2-1mm washers on the drive side to keep chainring bolts from hitting the chain stay.

Test ride today.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelthang

by wheelthang

Ride was a success.....a couple hours along the foothills with climbing. No problems.

rijndael

by rijndael

Awesome. I've been eyeing the new Synapse.

Someday, I'd like to get one.

Chris_W

by Chris_W

I work at a Cannondale dealer. I've asked two different Cannondale reps and one of their guys who is supposedly a tech expert about what other cranks work with the BB30A system in the new Synapses, and no-one has been able to give me an answer about which cranks can be used or what adapters are needed for certain cranks. One of the guys is supposed to be finding out an answer for me, but he hasn't got back to me in more than a week, so I guess I'll have to ask again.

I hate Cannondale and their pointless incompatibility. Their own employees can't even keep up with their new standards!

Their current 3 road frames use 3 different bottom brackets! SuperSix Evo = PF-BB30, Synapse = BB30A, CAAD 10 = BB30. Please stop this insanity!

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Just as an aside I fitted the Praxis works BB30 adaptor to my Felt AR1. The bike is less than 2 weeks old and has developed a click from the bb when putting down lots of power. I have a feeling it may be down to a lack of grease between the shell face and the adaptor. In going to strip it down and apply more grease to see if that helps. Otherwise it seems like a good solution to the problem.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I whipped the cranks off this afternoon and took the drive side bearing out of the frame. As expected the flat portion of the shell and the inside of the bearing cup were dry. I had thought that some of the copper anti seize would have oozed out when fitting but this hasn't happened. I covered both surfaces in copper anti seize and after a quick test it seems the creak had gone, but will only know for sure after a few weeks use.

bikeshat

by bikeshat

Chris, I'm right there with ya!!
I went through the same thing.....I asked and received numerous answers about the Synapse BB. One answer was "absolutely, cannot run a 7900 crank on a BB30A"!
I was literally seconds from ordering the SISL crank, getting a Stages, and eBaying my SRM! Then I remembered that a few years ago when I was racing a Venge, I had to go through the same exact thing.....and Wheels Mfg had adaptors for that, so I called them with fingers crossed. Success!

Chris_W wrote:I work at a Cannondale dealer. I've asked two different Cannondale reps and one of their guys who is supposedly a tech expert about what other cranks work with the BB30A system in the new Synapses, and no-one has been able to give me an answer about which cranks can be used..........
Their current 3 road frames use 3 different bottom brackets! SuperSix Evo = PF-BB30, Synapse = BB30A, CAAD 10 = BB30. Please stop this insanity!

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

That is such great news! I've been looking for an answer on this forever. Thank you so much. Do you have any photos of your bike with the Shimano crankset?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

harrisonsimon

by harrisonsimon

Hi, And directed particularly to Bikeshat,

I've just posted up about a very similar issue with my Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 105.. with creak of course.

Just to confirm please Bikeshat.. you used the WM Shimano Crank adaptor and it worked fine with your FC7900?

I was planning to go to plain old Integra FC6750 and my concern was that the Shimano tech for the 6750 (same as 7900..) is that it only goes up to 70mm BB and our BB30A is 73mm wide before you even start putting the shims in.

I actually measured my BB to confirm it was 73mm.. I assume yours is the same.

If you reckon it all fits and works and yours is also 73mm then I'll commit to the WM kit and FC6750.

(I assume no creak also..!)

Hope you can help..
Cheers,
Simon

bikeshat

by bikeshat

Hey Harrison,
Sorry for the delay, I haven't been around in a while.

The Wheels mfg parts are still working like a charm on my Synapse, no squeaking either! Although I split the crown race, like I've done a ton of times for other bikes, and it creaks like crazy! Gonna need to get a new OEM one and just pound it on.

I'm assuming you went ahead with the adaptors by now and have discovered that they work with your crank as well.....at least I hope so!

Ill try to get pics up.

harrisonsimon wrote:Hi, And directed particularly to Bikeshat,

...............no tech for the 6750 (same as 7900..) is that it only goes up to 70mm BB and our BB30A is 73mm wide before you even start putting the shims in.

I actually measured my BB to confirm it was 73mm.. I assume yours is the same.

If you reckon it all fits and works and yours is also 73mm then I'll commit to the WM kit and FC6750.

(I assume no creak also..!)

Hope you can help..
Cheers,
Simon

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I called Cannondale tech support this afternoon and was told that they will be coming out with a solution for people wanting to run Shimano cranksets with the new Synapse. Said it should be available in a month or two. In the mean time the tech referred me to Problem Solvers for an adapter that will use the bb30 bearings, like the Wheels MFG model I assume. Does anyone have any experience with Problem Solvers? Any reason to go with Wheels MFG instead? I received an email back from Wheels saying that they don't have a product that will work which is confusing given what's been said by the OP. OP, what exact model did you order?

Shogunade

by Shogunade

I have a 2014 synapse and just bought a sram crank which I will run w a ultegra di2 set. I have the 68mm sram bb30 bb and the bb30 crank. What do I have to to get this working on the bike. Pls help...so confused.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Although they don't refer to the Synapse specifically, the SRAM instruction do refer to installing a BB30 crank on a 73mm shell. Just leave out the 2 x 2.5mm spacers.

Because the Synapse is assymetric, possibly there is still a thin spacer needed on the DS. Why don't you try it and report.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2014_xx1_service_manual_0.pdf
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Shogunade, which sram bb30 crank do you have? Red bb30 cranks have a shorter spindle than Force or non-series cranks, to my understanding.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

Ltoddokc wrote:Shogunade, which sram bb30 crank do you have? Red bb30 cranks have a shorter spindle than Force or non-series cranks, to my understanding.

Oh, good question. I have the red 22. I'll have my lbs try and just fit it in the way bikerjulio described. Will report back in a few wks as I'm away from my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com