Belt drive, disc brake compatible, 700c frameset. =AWOL/pics

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Sorry. No in-progress pics. But I'll have it finished today and will take some completed photos.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Nearly finished, but rideable. Still waiting for the rear cog so I can convert to belt drive. I need some bottle cages and a negative-rise stem. Last little bit I need are some new brackets for the rear rack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dton13

by dton13

Cool. Looks great, but wow you weren't kidding about the wires! Is there no way of trimming the wire for the front hub instead of wrapping it around the fork leg?

I'm sure you've seen this before but if you haven't you could get some ideas for cleaning up the cables. Very similar setup to you. http://theradavist.com/2014/01/beautifu ... d-awol/#26

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Yeah, that was the inspiration for my build.

The wiring setup is not permanent. I need to spend some time getting everything dialed in. Once I am certain everything is where I want it I plan to trim all the wires and do a lot of work with heat-shrink.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've ridden the first 100 miles on this bike and am pleased with the setup. The only thing I don't like is the ridiculously tall front end. I'll pick up a new stem this weekend to bring the bars down to where I want them. I'm also looking forward to receiving the cobl-gobl-r seatpost. But, to be honest, running 35mm tires really reduces the bumps and buzz from the road.

A couple notes:
1. There is occasionally a slight delay when downshifting under load. Not a lot, but enough to be noticeable.
2. The Portland Designworks fenders are awesome.
3. The Supernova lights are amazing. I had no idea how bright they are. Apparently they are illegal for use on the road in Germany.
4. I run 44cm bars on all my bikes. I feel like I want wider bars on this bike. But I think it is due to the upright position.
5. I shifted my pannier bag to the front rack from the rear which has made out-of-the-saddle efforts much more pleasant.
6. This bike is a TANK! Much heavier than the old steel CX bike I was using as a commuter. Most of the weight is due to the Alfine rear hub and the dynamo front hub. heavy wheels. But the frame and fork are quite heave too. (No, I didn't weigh them. Sorry.)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Finally got the cog to convert to belt drive. That will be the weekend project.

blasdelf

by blasdelf

xnavalav8r wrote:But the frame and fork are quite heave too. (No, I didn't weigh them. Sorry.)

Please do if you ever take it apart to redo the wiring internally

I'm pretty sure it's heavier than a Surly LHT!

Harmen

by Harmen

hoi ted

gaat het hier om de specialized awol? Kun je me laten weten wat het gewicht is van de fiets?

Alvast bedankt

Harmen

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Hallo Harmen ,

Ik heb de fiets nooit gewogen. Het wordt momenteel verscheept naar de Verenigde Staten als ik naar een nieuwe baan in Californië hebben overgedragen . Wanneer de fiets aankomt zal ik een update te posten en omvatten het gewicht .

m.v.g.
Ted

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

May she rest in pieces. Struck by a hit and run driver Tuesday morning on the way to work. We are both damaged but I'm not sure the bike is repairable. Waiting for an assessment of the frame and whether or not it can be straightened. My shoulder on the other hand is repairable, but it will take a while before it is back to normal. Not sure when I'll be riding again. So much for my training regimen.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Condolences heal quickly