HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm 

Up until 15 years ago I rode only on tubs. This changed after moving from the States to London when I switched to clinchers due to the enormous amount of broken glass in the capital. Finally after 15 years I'm back in the US and slowly liquidating excess bike supplies. I've sold off all my machine built wheels and only ride what I build.

I have a pair of 32h NOS rims referenced above. Wide before wide became the new normal and relatively light at a claimed 375gr per rim, I have been holding them off on the side while selling all my tub rims, cassette hubs, and steel frames, etc.

I've got one more bike build in the queue, 1985 NOS Merckx 753. Running gear will be Campag 10. For wheels, I initially thought of going with 20/24 WI hubs in silver and silver HPlus Son Archetypes also in silver. But I have some 2000/2006 Campag Rec/Chorus/Centaur hubsets lying around and may combine them with the Omega XL rims.

Anyone have experience with using them with 130mm rear hubs? Also what maximum DS tension was used? Note that these are not the same construction as the regular Omega Strada. Being lighter and wider, the sidewalls are thinner and I would guess the same applies to the rim/spoke bed so they may not be up to the dish with a 130mm rear hub.

I weigh 55k and I am easy on equipment including wheels. I ride 8,000-10,000k/year with no more racing.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
in the industry

for the wheel to be stable I would use 1100N DS rear ideally 1200N anything less will give very low NDS rear tension and comprimise spoke life. If the rim goes all wobbly at that tension pick another rim like the ambrosio montreal or the lighter chrono.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm 

I had some of those. Still do I think laced to some 126mm Athena hubs in the basement. They are hard anodized and cracked like a MoFo at the drive side spoke holes. I was way too ignorant back then to even think about asking the builder about the tension spec. I thought they were cool tho! (Until they cracked....)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:02 am 

I'd be thinking about using nipple washers on the DS. Given what I've heard on the interwebs.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 am 

@bm0p- agreed on the 110

@Twiggy- yeah, I've heard that about the hard anodized rims from that period although I personally never had it happen but there's always a first time.

@bikerjulio- they have double ferrules so washers are not going to help although it's a great idea

Well I just pulled out a pair of 2002/2006 Chorus hubs. Will have to repack the rear, order some spokes and just give it a go.