"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

Rob81 wrote:Basso? He seems trapped in a Schleckesque downward spiral, even if not so steep. Who can remember his last victory (ok Japan Cup 2012) or, at least, recent (2 years) good performance?

Basso admitted a while ago that he cannot handle the speed of the very best climbers anymore. I don't think he has had the same kind of health issues as Andy.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It's April 29 and I'm placing my bet on Contador for a tour win. Contador looks like he's back to win it this year.

Let's look at the facts:
His climbing has vastly improved from 2 years ago
His TT is getting back to where it was

2014 win's
1st Jersey blue.svg Overall classification Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall classification Tour of the Basque Country
2nd Overall classification Volta ao Algarve
2nd Overall classification Volta a Catalunya

Note the progression of his wins: go out hard and reach a new plateau, back off a bit, what;s next? Oh yeah go out hard again for the next level.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

xena wrote:
Rob81 wrote:Basso? He seems trapped in a Schleckesque downward spiral, even if not so steep. Who can remember his last victory (ok Japan Cup 2012) or, at least, recent (2 years) good performance?

Basso admitted a while ago that he cannot handle the speed of the very best climbers anymore. I don't think he has had the same kind of health issues as Andy.

I read he's back to his best power numbers. I'm sure he rode Giro del Trentino tranquillo and he will be top 5 in the Giro.

Last year he was doing a promising start at the Vuelta. :smartass:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Evans, Samuel Sanchez, nor Basso will play a final role in this Giro's podium. Not unless the other favorites throw themselves down a cliff. Quintana nor Uran have unfortunately shown much of anything this season either. Seriously hoping Purito finally takes one. He is overdue!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Rooting for Rodriguez too, but if Quintana can get anywhere near his top shape, he will be a tough nut to crack. Also glad to see Evans going strong again.

The Giro didn't disappoint with suspense in recent years, and everything looks to be set for another thrilling edition. Loving this race.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

OK my mistake on froome. Very curious to see how he goes at Romandie. Same with Schurter. Always interested to see how a top mtber goes when they which to road.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rob81

by Rob81

xena wrote:Basso admitted a while ago that he cannot handle the speed of the very best climbers anymore. I don't think he has had the same kind of health issues as Andy.

Yes, Andy's problems seems to go beyond health/injuries, involving mood/depression and drinking...
Last edited by Rob81 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph

by ph

Just watched Talansky with what seems to be a new POC TT helmet at the Romandie prologue. Definitely more conventional than the monstrosity debuted by the Swedish TT'ers at London 2012.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

lack of racing days has prooven to be an essential factor - but only in armchair debates. reality has shown (like 7 times in a row!) that it's not an issue if a given athlete is well prepared. and i believe SKY will prepare Froome, after all who if not them have the means and the experience.

i'm couting on Contador for Tour though, he's demonstrated some solid racing in Vasco, and watching him dancing on that bike is always a pleasant experience :thumbup:

and the Romandie line-up looks very promising, Nibali hasn't won anything this year so far has he?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/l ... aces-video

Willie Nelson "Leave Lance alone, when I do drugs I can;t even find my bike"... :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

pastronef

by pastronef

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-d ... tos/302895

Talansky with a Giro helmet, rebadged POC?

devinci

by devinci

Nice to see XCO MTBer Nino Schurter, current world champ, London silver medalist and multiple WC winner at the Tour de Romandie. I only watched the end of his TT, he finished 88th at 26sec. I heard he almost crashed at the begining and was a bit cautious after.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Always fun to see some mtb or cx pros mix it up on the road. Schurter finished ahead of former greatest cyclist of all time Tom Danielson (or is it Denialson).
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

jooo

by jooo

Anyone seen pictures of him on the aero bars yet?

CulBaire

by CulBaire

jooo wrote:Anyone seen pictures of him on the aero bars yet?

Pic from twitter!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com