First post - looking for some ideas for my 02 De Rosa Merak

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pathawks

by Pathawks

Hi guys - longtime lurker, and when i picked up a my new frame i knew where to come for ideas!

Found this 2002(ish - waiting for de rosa to confirm) aluminium de rosa merak listed as NOS on the 'bay - picked it up cheap and now i'm looking for some ideas.

For a supposed NOS frame, theres a few decent chips out of the paint and some bite marks in the dropouts, looks like its been built up at some point - i'm told it's from an cycling team that went belly up.

Anyway, the frame weighs 1250g. hoping to keep it as lean as possible and put decent gear on it to do the frame justice. No idea as far as fork goes...enve perhaps?
Last edited by Pathawks on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

Italian bike needs Italian fork. Maybe try looking for a 3T?
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

1250 grams is a good frame weight for an alloy frame. Very nice.

In terms of build, without knowing a budget, its a little tough to make suggestions. Parts should be gloss black I think, Thomson, ritchey, or 3t(if you go the italian route, this makes sense). The enve fork is nice but if you did use ritchey parts, a ritchey fork could look good too, their Pro fork is sub 350 grams and can be had for about 1/2 the price of an enve, it's got a pretty classic look too; same for 3t but not quite the same classic look.

Group, I'd either go 10 speed centaur or carbon athena, with some light brakes swapped in.

Estelja

by Estelja

You can get Columbus Muscle or Carve carbon forks for a decent price.

Pathawks

by Pathawks

Thanks vet much for the ideas guys - keep them coming!

I've got a reasonable budget, around 4k - only trouble is it takes me some time to get a build done, just don't have the time to get things done quickly.

I'm interested in the gloss black idea - I wasn't sure if it would look good with the yellow paint. I haven't seen many examples on yellow bikes with gloss black... I have had it suggested to me to get a matte black repaint with gloss black de rosa decals, but I think this might ruin a beautiful paint job.

Also considering the wheels, I'd like to run tubs - ambrosia cronos? Maybe to some dt Swiss hubs?

Timo

by Timo

Did you consider looking up de actual iTeam Nova bikes to turn your frame into a team replica? From the little info I can find online their bikes had full Record 10sp (including seat post), Campagnolo wheels, Selle Italia SLR saddle and ITM stem and bar.

http://www.dejai.com/aboutus/newsroom/i ... launch.htm
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

kov79

by kov79

Steer clear of the carbon athena power torque cranks, if you were to go athena carbon 11speed, they are a b*** to get off for maintenance.

nickl

by nickl

I've got a (carbon+alloy steerer) fork off a 2012 Merak II if you are interested.

Krull

by Krull

sorry, just a question: tubes are dedacciai u2-scandium?
nice Frame!
Thanks, best regards.

Pathawks

by Pathawks

Pretty sure it's v107...

Time to order the fork - I thought 3t funda, but I saw an ITM that caught my eye... When it's all said and done, I should probably go an enve - but gotta go Italian 8)

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Start with paint stripper to lower the weight, and improve the looks.

kgt

by kgt

The frame (and paint) is amazing.
+1 on Columbus fork (ideally painted yellow). ITM is a good chose as well. Certainly not Enve.
Campagnolo groupset, italian parts (not Thomson please), a set of Zonda of Fulcrum wheels and you're done.
Some nice Meraks:

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

You'll need to go with yellow forks.

Pathawks

by Pathawks

Any thoughts on either the enigma electron or deda black drive forks?

That UD looks incredible!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com