Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

wynkendeword wrote:The rear hub axle bearings felt somewhat rough to the touch two days after the race. Pulled the caps and cassette body off and it felt smooth again, and pinpointed the roughness to the cassette body bearings. Not impressed with the seals, though which seal is weak is harder to determine: the cassette-body-to-hub-flange seal, or the outboard cassette body seal near the cassette lock ring? Gonna be difficult getting at those bearings to either repack or replace.

Update on my rear hub / freehub body issue. After my single ride / race on it, I pulled the freehub body off (also sometimes called the cassette body, in case you're googling) and, using a socket and hammer, tapped the two no-name cartridge bearings out. And they felt fine and relatively smooth on their own.

Also inside the freehub body are two spacers of equal width but in two diametres: one to match the outside bearing race diametre, and one to match the inside race diametre. Funny thing is that while the larger diametre spacer seats itself inside the freehub body, the inside one just seems to sit on the inner races by manual alignment. I pressed the bearings and spacers back in (with a home-made bolt-washer-wingnut press) in the proper order: cartridge bearing, outer with nested inner spacer, second cartridge bearing, rubberized c-clip. Put the freehub body back on, tighten the end cap and…rough again. Unreasonably rough.

Tap them out again, try again, this time not fully pressing the unit in with the press…re-assemble the whole hub and they are smooth this time.

My theory is that the tolerances are a bit low on these and, if the bearings-and-spacers are pressed ~0.1mm in too far, the axle end cap presses / rubs on the freehub body itself a bit, instead of solely pressing it's small lipped flange on the inner race of the bearing cartridge. By having the bearing protrude ~0.1mm (it's definitely less than a mm, anyways) it seats properly. I think. The question is: how did it become rough after one ride?

Will likely learn more next weekend when I race them again.

Pressing the bearings and spacers back in.

olebole

by olebole

Anyone with experience of the new u-shaped 50mm carbon clinchers from farsports?
Same rims as LB?
Pretty impressive weight with the edhubs option

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cth

by cth

bump
cth wrote:There seem to be many positive reviews of the 45mm x 27mm U-shaped rims from Light Bicycle. Does anyone here have the 50mm or 90mm deep versions (not listed outright on their website)?...Thoughts? ...Weights?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Seriously? U want to bump a 900 post thread?

manninen

by manninen

natefontaine wrote:Waiting on delivery of the hoops...
23wide x 20mm
20h/24h
BHS SL85W front hub
BHS UL190 rear hub
Cxrays with prolock nipples.
Est. Sub 1000 :)

Found these from Nextie Bikes on eBay. I wanted something wider than the standard 19mm wide low profiles, so I don't have to adjust the brakes when switching between my other 50x25mm wheels.

ImageImage

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

i have plans to change my fiamme ergal rims to these, if i calculate correct i could even go with same spokes if there were internal nipples.
not saving much weight but i need some more stiffnes cause i cant say ergals having much :)
32h front 36h rear and disc brakes

garret

by garret

Has anyone tried the carbon alloys? They should be better for overheating issues

cth

by cth

kulivontot wrote:Seriously? U want to bump a 900 post thread?

Hello,
Sorry, just meant to re-ask a question, which was buried by several different questions asked immediately afterward. It seemed like the post was fairly on-topic:

cth wrote:There seem to be many positive reviews of the 45mm x 27mm U-shaped rims from Light Bicycle. Does anyone here have the 50mm or 90mm deep versions (not listed outright on their website)?...Thoughts? ...Weights?

Did I violate some kind of WW etiquette?

Cheers

vinceflynow

by vinceflynow

manninen wrote:
natefontaine wrote:Waiting on delivery of the hoops...
23wide x 20mm
20h/24h
BHS SL85W front hub
BHS UL190 rear hub
Cxrays with prolock nipples.
Est. Sub 1000 :)

Found these from Nextie Bikes on eBay. I wanted something wider than the standard 19mm wide low profiles, so I don't have to adjust the brakes when switching between my other 50x25mm wheels.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

i have plans to change my fiamme ergal rims to these, if i calculate correct i could even go with same spokes if there were internal nipples.
not saving much weight but i need some more stiffnes cause i cant say ergals having much :)
32h front 36h rear and disc brakes

I just built a wheelset using these Nextie rims with Bikehubstore hubs and CX-rays spokes:

20 spokes radial front, 24 spokes 2x rear
Rear Hub: BHS UL190 Campag
Front Hub: BHS SLF71W
Sapim Polyax alloy nipples and HM washers

The wheelset weighed 967 grams. The rims where easy to build up, and were more radially true than Denfu's 40mm wide rims that I've built. I've not ridden them yet, so I don't know about the stiffness and braking.

jepd1973

by jepd1973

cth wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Seriously? U want to bump a 900 post thread?

Hello,
Sorry, just meant to re-ask a question, which was buried by several different questions asked immediately afterward. It seemed like the post was fairly on-topic:

Did I violate some kind of WW etiquette?

Cheers

I just asked light-bicycle and they replied that no 90 mm version for sale i am afraid.
carbon-cycle on ebay has a 88 mm 27 mm wide wheel i am considering this but i would like to see some reviews on the wheels first. Anyone?

makerr

by makerr

Yes I just took delivery of a pair of 86/56-27mm wide wheels from carbon-cycle. Communication with Ray was excellent, delivery was fast (14 days China-Canada), and the package was damage free with EMS shipping. The wheel weight was as stated , they were perfectly true right out of the box and tension seemed to be even. I had a very basic build with nova-tec hubs and mac aero spokes built on a clincher rim. Tires go on a bit too easily and you have to be careful that they are seated properly before you go pumping them up fully. Braking with the supplied blue pads was very good in the dry conditions and I had no pulsing. I was very happy with the handling characteristics of the front wheel when I used it on the one and only ride so far (30km/hr crosswind) the wheel caught some wind but was very predictable and required just a bit of lean to hold it in line. These wheels seem to be of better quality than the similar 86 front I bought from carbonspeedcycle last fall which had a significant pulse on the brake track. Be sure that you'll have enough clearance to run these as I don't have a lot of room left between the rim and chainstays on my aluminum P-3 and not all brakes will open enough to accommodate the 27mm rims.

wynkendeword

by wynkendeword

Another update on my experience with pre-built HongFu 56x27mm tubular wheels.

Since last post and that one ride I somewhat fixed the rough rear bearing problem and then raced and rode them for only their second time, a hard weekend stage race in Walla Walla, WA, USA. There was a somewhat bumpy and sketchy crit, a time trial, and a fast road race with some cross winds. Short story: wheels felt fine. Great even. Though some of that may be the switch from 23c to 25c tubulars.

Wheels are true and braking surface looks fine. The descents in the road race had some somewhat sudden and heavy braking before an uphill turn, and they slowed predictably and quickly, and accelerated out of those transition with ease. Actually, that was one of the best feelings about the wheels: jumping in response to an attack.

Only issues were some slight digging of the cassette into the aluminum freehub on a particularly hard jump (from about 100–1,000 watt uphill turn transition)—or was it the pawls diggin in a bit?—but nothing that caused concern later. Also, after the weekend's events, despite being sunny, the rear bearings felt a bit rougher than before. Looking to buy some replacement cartridges. If I could order again, I'd upgrade the hubs, assuming something like Novatec is better than "Chosen".

cth

by cth

jepd1973 wrote:I just asked light-bicycle and they replied that no 90 mm version for sale i am afraid.
carbon-cycle on ebay has a 88 mm 27 mm wide wheel i am considering this but i would like to see some reviews on the wheels first. Anyone?

The 90mm deep x 27mm wide U shape rim is mentioned in a few places on Light Bicycle's website and at least one place earlier in this thread. Here's one from the LB website:
"We have 45mm U shape, 50mm U shape rim and 90mm U shape rim." from the December 2, 2013 post at http://www.light-bicycle.com/U-shaped-R ... 1mb2PldV8E

Well, perhaps they no longer produce it due to lack of demand??? Seems odd to invest in creating the molds and then not sell the wheel, especially with all the folks interested in deep wheels for Tri/TT. Rats, I've been thinking of springing for a 50mm front / 90mm rear set from LB...and I seem to recall that the Light Bicycle 90mm U-rim is supposed to be lighter (and more Zipp-like in shape) than the HongFu/DengFu 86mm.

Tilldish

by Tilldish

Any thoughts on the Far Sports wheels with DT Swiss 240s hubs?
Are the hubs a bit overkill compared to the cheap chinese rims?

Here is the wheelset I am considering: http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/clincher/38mm-x-20-5mm-clincher-wheelset-320.html

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I had two sets of them. One tubular one 50mm clincher.

To me for the additional $300 was worth it for an excellent quality hub. My rationale was that you are paying $800 plus shipping for a wheelset that has cx-rays and hubs that retail for $700ish. Plus I swap between campa and shimano so I like the easy freehub body swap with the DT star ratchet.

I am off carbon clinchers and really enjoying riding tubulars when I want to ride the 'nice wheels'. I would recommend you buy the tubulars as I had no issues with my tubular wheels from farsports and would recommend them to anyone. I think the technology and materials required to make a reliable carbon tubular is much more forgiving than for a clincher. Regardless of how people rationalize it, carbon clinchers are just kind of a ridiculous proposition at this point in time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Is it me or does the cross section of the 50mm light bikes rim look almost exactly like the bontrager aeolus 5 rim?

Also how is the braking on the light bike rims?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk