Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:Thanks Dave, not to bothered about it looking that way, as long as that's normal then I'm happy with that.

Do you know how readily available the oval clamp for the 3T seat post is? I've borrowed a saddle that fits for now but will need to source the oval clamp asap.

3T has an online webstore that fills consumer direct orders IIRC.
http://www.3tcycling.com/small-parts-se ... flock-oval

The USA distributor stocks the oval caps because they are also sold on the Tk1 model.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks Dave, ordered up the oval clamps. It's a shame these aren't supplied with the frame as standard. Just wondering if it was a mistake that I received the VR seat post as I didn't specify it when I ordered the frame?

Got the majority of the bike built now. One sore point though, the main bolt holding the rear mech hanger was loose and when I went to tighten it I couldn't. Looks like either the wrong bolt has been supplied or the recess for the captive nut is too large on my frame. The bolt is bottoming out on the nut before there is any tension

Disappointing that a frame of this quality has left the factory like this. I will now have to visit the lbs and see what they can offer as a solution as in it's current state I can't attach the rear mech.........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:Thanks Dave, ordered up the oval clamps. It's a shame these aren't supplied with the frame as standard. Just wondering if it was a mistake that I received the VR seat post as I didn't specify it when I ordered the frame?

Got the majority of the bike built now. One sore point though, the main bolt holding the rear mech hanger was loose and when I went to tighten it I couldn't. Looks like either the wrong bolt has been supplied or the recess for the captive nut is too large on my frame. The bolt is bottoming out on the nut before there is any tension

Disappointing that a frame of this quality has left the factory like this. I will now have to visit the lbs and see what they can offer as a solution as in it's current state I can't attach the rear mech.........

The AR1, AR2, and AR3 were originally planned to come with the VR post. Oval clamps aren't included. Rear brakes aren't included.

Sorry to hear about the bolt. Do you have access to a file to shorten the female side <1.0mm? Of course once the rear wheel is install the bolt is just decorration but it should bottom when tightened. That is indeed disappointing to hear. The AR1 frame gets a nice custom CNC 7075 AL bolt utilized to save 3 grams. It is an expensive piece and frustrating to hear it is less than perfect.

I have the same AR1 frame and same bolt from the same supplier and it snugs up.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Once again thanks for the help Dave.

That could well be a possibility to file the female side of the bolt. I currently have a rubber grommet scavenged from a set of mudguards over the male bolt which is allowing me to torque the hanger up to the required 5nm. I'll be visiting the dealer on Monday so will see what they offer up as a solution.

I had my first ride on the bike today and I'm blown away! Fantastic ride quality and the feeling of power going directly from my legs to the ground I have never experienced before. Really impressed with the frame and I look forward to many happy miles on it. I'll get a picture up asap.

Mize

by Mize

I rode my Tarmac on a team chase/attack training ride last night owing to being too lazy to swap brake pads and wheels back to alloy on my AR1. The Tarmac felt like it was made of wrought iron after so many weeks and races on the AR1. Can't get over how much better the Felt is than my old ride.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

[quote="mitchgixer6"][/quote]

Wow, well done.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks Dave, i'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out. I had a lot of time to spec the build while I was waiting for the frame, but as expected it was well worth the wait!

Will have another short shake down ride tomorrow before my first RR on it Sunday. Can't wait!

Thanks once again for all your help Dave. Maybe we'll meet one day if you ever come to try the roads in Scotland! :-)

YB1

by YB1

I ordered my FRD back in September/October and got it a couple of weeks ago. The bike is everything I hoped for. I had tried aero bikes a number of years ago with a Cervelo SLC SL but never really liked that bike and only kept it for 6 months. The AR I'll be on for quite awhile. The biggest thing is it's a great all-arounder but when you bump it up to 30 mph you can sit there without having to put out 300 watts, truly amazing. I'd wanted a Felt since seeing a bunch of them at Eurobike almost 5 years ago, finally got one and am very stoked.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

SuperDave wrote:The AR1, AR2, and AR3 were originally planned to come with the VR post. Oval clamps aren't included. Rear brakes aren't included.

Sorry to hear about the bolt. Do you have access to a file to shorten the female side <1.0mm? Of course once the rear wheel is install the bolt is just decorration but it should bottom when tightened. That is indeed disappointing to hear. The AR1 frame gets a nice custom CNC 7075 AL bolt utilized to save 3 grams. It is an expensive piece and frustrating to hear it is less than perfect.

-SD

Hi Dave

So I've just been to the dealer for them to check the hanger. They agreed that it was indeed unusual, but on checking another AR1 frame which they have it's the same! The hanger bolt is spinning inside the hanger. It's marked on the hanger that this bolt should be torqued to 5nm, is this the case? As it is on BOTH these frames the hanger bolt can't even be snugged up never mind 5nm.

My dealer (Cyclelane Glasgow) is currently waiting to hear back from Felt Europe once they've managed to check a frame themselves, so please forgive me bothering you with more questions!

Cheers
Michael

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:The AR1, AR2, and AR3 were originally planned to come with the VR post. Oval clamps aren't included. Rear brakes aren't included.

-SD

Hi Dave

So I've just been to the dealer for them to check the hanger. They agreed that it was indeed unusual, but on checking another AR1 frame which they have it's the same! The hanger bolt is spinning inside the hanger. It's marked on the hanger that this bolt should be torqued to 5nm, is this the case? As it is on BOTH these frames the hanger bolt can't even be snugged up never mind 5nm.

My dealer (Cyclelane Glasgow) is currently waiting to hear back from Felt Europe once they've managed to check a frame themselves, so please forgive me bothering you with more questions!

Cheers
Michael

Pretty embarrassing. Sounds like the bolt (same as a chainring bolt) was delivered with the wrong female length. It can be shortened and it will function perfectly. I'm in the midst of making corrections with our supplier now but it will be some time before I can get new bolts in the air.

-Dave

-Dave

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

OK, thanks for the swift update Dave. My bike is currently with the dealer whilst they were waiting on confirmation whether this was normal or not. We wanted to wait to here what's what before we did anything drastic, but looks like we'll be getting the file out!

Cheers
Michael

Porkinson

by Porkinson

Hi Dave,

Got my bike today, had the same rear derailleur bolt issue but filed it down no problem. I am having trouble with the 6770 FD though. It is too close to the frame and won't throw far enough to reach the big ring, like the braze on is too small.

The top limit screw is out and I can physically pull the mech out far enough to shift. When the low limit screw lets it close the the frame it throws far enough to shift rings but starts too close to the frame. I thought it might start it's throw from the low limit screw, but it just throws to the same place as if the low limit screw was all the out, thus not reaching the big ring. The 6770 FD doesn't appear to have any shift adjust like the RD.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Simon

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I know it won't help you but I too have had real problems with the 6800 front derailleur. I honestly spent about 4 hours on it over the weekend until I gave up and took it to the shop. They to spent a full day on it but couldn't get it working.

It's now at the point where it will shift rings no problem but the trims aren't working at all. It seems that there isn't enough lateral movement when mounting to allow the support bolt to have enough function. The mechanics at the dealer seemed to think it's a mixture of the design of the frame and the design of the FD that's too blame.

I also realised today that the mousetail cable for the front cable was split so I took out out and just ran an inner gear cable through the frame all the way to the FD. Dave is it possible for me to order a new mousetail with ferrule attached?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Porkinson

by Porkinson

All sorted, didn't realise top limit screw was in to go out