Carbon Front Derailleur Clamp Stiffness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

esfrost

by esfrost

I'm having some great luck with Ritchey's liquid torque on my thomson seatpost in my carbon frame. Only used 2nm on the seat post collar which is a Thomson collar, and no slipping yet, though i haven't got the chance to ride it much. Will see how it works with the derailleur clamp, maybe it's a different story...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

With the Parlee clamp, both ends should be butted up against each other when fully tighten down. Proper clearance is required. That is why they give you a piece of plastic tape to take up the slack [if needed]. Liquid torque ain't going to give you the clearance you need. My advice is to double check the clamp several times on the road for slipping [and bring tools to adjust it]. You do not want to have the cage rubbing against the big ring.

Of course, every tube is not the exact same dimension so you may not need the shim that Parlee gives you. Mine frame is a Tarmac S-Works.
Last edited by Butcher on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Anyone have difficulty installing the aluminum plate thats used for di2 fd's with the parlee clamp? Just did one and we had a tough time getting it in there. Very little clearance behind the FD with this clamp.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I used to have the parlee clamp with record braze on. It had ok shifting, but sometimes it wouldn't shift cleanly to the big ring.

Now I use a super record clamp on 32mm derailleur and I find it shifts much better.
██

esfrost

by esfrost

Causidicus wrote:
esfrost wrote:I'll be using Ritchey's Liquid Torque paste under the clamp area.

I thought you wanted to protect the frame?

Using carbon paste under the clamp will mark up the seat tube more than an alloy clamp with no paste.

After a second thought, you're right! I will just install the clamp as is, and see how it works. Thanks for the heads up!

esfrost

by esfrost

Got the clamp installed. So far, so good, didn't notice any flax, or hesitation when shifting to the big ring, hope it stays that way. I did use a bit of a carbon paste under the clamp, so it shouldn't slip. Will see how it performs.

Thank you all for the help and tips!

scotty

by scotty

Hi guys,
I recently upgraded to new Sram red, I stuck with 10 speed.
I had a generic carbon clamp that worked fine with the older Red derailleur. However the new Red cage is steel and is causing the band to slip as it's stiffer.
The torque is 3 NM, apart from carbon paste has anyone tried anything else.
Also does anyone know if the other brands have the same torque ratio?
Thanks

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Cloth friction tape between the tube and clamp. The adhesive provides the stick to the tube and the cloth provides friction for the clamp. The thickness of the tape allows for the clearance issues. I used a full wrap for my SW Tarmac and Parlee carbon clamp. The plastic tape shim in the Parlee clamp kit allowed the clamp to slide down.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotty

by scotty

Thanks.
I'm using a carbon clamp on a titanium frame.
I'll give the cloth a go.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have 3 Parlee clamps in a box some where. Never bothered with them as they just don't work as well as a metal clamp

jbf

by jbf

sugarkane wrote:I have 3 Parlee clamps in a box some where. Never bothered with them as they just don't work as well as a metal clamp

Size? I'm a buyer as I have had no problems with mine and I am building up a new bike.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

All 34.9mm std Parlee ones