2008 Campagnolo Powershift 11 Speed Return Spring

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

The return spring in my right hand 11speed Powershift lever has broken. I am try to track one down. This is the first gen (2008?) of Campagnolo 11 speed Powershifter.

Is this spring the same one that is used all through the years up to 2014?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Powershift was introduced in 2011, with Athena the 11-speed version. I suggest that you correctly identify what you have.

Campy has not made small parts available for it's current generation of shifters, whether Ultra-shift or Powershift.

Your choice is either to buy a complete shifter body sub-assembly, or browse the springs of the earlier generation, as some appear similar. Check out Bikeman:

http://www.bikeman.com/Campagnolo_Road_Shifter_Parts.html
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

bikerjulio wrote:Powershift was introduced in 2011, with Athena the 11-speed version. I suggest that you correctly identify what you have.

Campy has not made small parts available for it's current generation of shifters, whether Ultra-shift or Powershift.

Your choice is either to buy a complete shifter body sub-assembly, or browse the springs of the earlier generation, as some appear similar. Check out Bikeman:

http://www.bikeman.com/Campagnolo_Road_Shifter_Parts.html

Excellent information! Perhaps the introduction of 11 speed shifters was Ultra Shift? I purchased mine when the 11 speed was first offered in late 2007 or early 2008.

I did look into purchasing a shifter body assembly that you have suggested, as individual parts are not sold. There are numerous sources for these kinds of sub-assemblies as it turns out. I will be ordering one in the next few days.

My LBS did something miraculous that will enable me to be on the road for the weekend. He harvested a left handed spring from a crashed lever, push one end through the inner diameter of the spring and inverted it, thereby making it a right handed spring! Installed, it shifts as good as new! We expect it to last for the next week or so until the new lever body assembly arrives.

Thanks again for your help!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The current generation lever shape, which initially were all Ultra-shift, and produced in both 10 and 11-speed versions, was first introduced to the market in late 2008 as a 2009 model.

There have been a couple of running changes to the mechanism since 2008, so a new body will provide better shifting. Try it with the current RD and see how it is, probably OK, but Campy also changed the RD spring for a firmer one around 2011, so that would provide a better shift also.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Hi all

For reference, we normally have supplies of all of the split parts for v2 ErgoPower, Escape UltraShift 10 and 11s and PowerShift. We buy complete bodies from the factory and frag them for spares. Please note, though, that some problems are not readily fixable by replacing the part that "looks" as if it's problematic - especially the case with PS and Escape and in these cases a complete body is a better idea.

We also have some parts harvested from levers that have been written off. In general we will offer these only if the original part can't be supplied and we will make it clear that these parts are recycled, not new.

In the case of early UltraShift units (this apperas to apply in the case of the OP), bikerjulio is correct in what he writes although it goes further than he suggests - early UltraShift units were custom-shimmed to sort out a small tolerancing problem in early body mouldings, there were two formats of cable bushing and three formats of clutch, all handled as running changes from mid 2008 (introduction) to mid 2009.

In the case of early US bodies it is therefore often advisable to look at changing the complete body - better shifting often results (though we are happy to offer a full rebuild service where we can check all internal issues including dimensioning, inside the lever).

Have a great Easter holiday / Spring holiday and safe miles, all!

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd, main UK SC, Campagnolo.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Miller

by Miller

bikerjulio wrote: Campy also changed the RD spring for a firmer one around 2011, so that would provide a better shift also.

Over the winter I changed the Chorus rear der on my bike from a 2010 model to the current one and tbh, I preferred the lighter shifting of the older mechanism. The new one needs more finger force to actuate the shift. I see that they have both market demand for a heavier shift action and an engineering imperative given the modern prevalence of internal cabling but still.... it's no big deal either way really.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com