Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Sounds like they live in an alternate reality when the USSR still was a cohesive entity and when cell phones were the size of bricks ??!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

catbill wrote:A few buddies of mine who are total steel freaks love steel and stainless so much that they wouldn't even admit carbon actually exist. They believe carbon comes from burnt left over rotten food and are really nothing more than ashes clued together with poison chemical. They think carbon is evil and carbon dust is the black version of cocaine. Highly priced! :shock: :unbelievable: :roll: :twisted: :?

Tell your buddies that if it wasn't for carbon, they'd be riding around on iron frames ;)

LionelB

by LionelB

maxxevv wrote:Its not lighter as a material, but the strength of the metal allows the use of thinner tube gauges, hence lighters tubes, resulting in a lighter frame for comparable tube diameters and lengths used in a frame.

In the Columbus range Spirit tubing is thinner than XCr, so it is lighter.

DavisWilly

by DavisWilly

There was a big splash for MS2 tubing from KVA a couple of years back promising to be both light and strong but I've
not seen much about it since then. Anyone know anything about it?

Here's an Alchemy frame built with it up to 14.1lbs. Not bad.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110792

catbill

by catbill

Spirit tubing is for TIG. Not sure if XCr is meant for Lugs or TIG. Weight savings mainly come from wall thickness for a given tensile strength and the use of TIG instead of lugs but only the more recent developed tubing are cater for fully TIG.
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

maxxevv

by maxxevv

LionelB wrote:
maxxevv wrote:Its not lighter as a material, but the strength of the metal allows the use of thinner tube gauges, hence lighters tubes, resulting in a lighter frame for comparable tube diameters and lengths used in a frame.

In the Columbus range Spirit tubing is thinner than XCr, so it is lighter.

Yes, but that's only within the Columbus range of tubings.

oldmuthariley

by oldmuthariley

just been thinking about my 953 frame....

there's a shim(metal) in the seatube (oversize 953) to bring it down to 27.2
it's a big shim that won't budge - i asked the frame builder if it'll come out - he hasn't directly replied to that question!
Looking on ceeway website it looks as though this shim is around 100g..
factor in paint - 100g ish?
the fact that its a 57c-c seat tube frame with a 16 head tube and 55 top tube also helps the weight
so completely bare of anything it's probably nearer 1600g or so... maybe!

LionelB

by LionelB

catbill wrote:Spirit tubing is for TIG. Not sure if XCr is meant for Lugs or TIG. Weight savings mainly come from wall thickness for a given tensile strength and the use of TIG instead of lugs but only the more recent developed tubing are cater for fully TIG.

There is Spirit and Spirit for lugs
There is XCr and XCr for lugs

LionelB

by LionelB

maxxevv wrote:Yes, but that's only within the Columbus range of tubings.

I am much more familiar with columbus than I am with reynolds but I was replying to your point that stainless can be made thinner, it's not the case with columbus as their thinner steel is not stainless.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

I have to admit that I miss the feel of a good steel frame. I had several Waterford frames many years ago..they were very nice. I think I'll seek out a nice steel bike for my next ride. I've always wanted a Serotta painted in the 7-eleven colors.

addictR1

by addictR1

thinking to build up a ride for wifey.. but she won't be riding it too much and doesn't want those OEM carbon frame in case if she falls and crack it. so looking for a lightweight alloy frame.

any suggestions for a 50cm version?

TIA

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Depends on what you think is light...

If you want typical carbon light (1000 grams or less), you're not gaining a whole lot it durability. I've crashed light alloy and bent and damaged it...

Irish

by Irish

Giant, Specialized and Cannondale all do relatively light alloy frames check out their websites. In saying that I've seen cheaper carbon frames from shops that are most lighter as well.

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks Charles and Irish. I wanted to get her a carbon, but unless if I can find one new from a good brand under her budget of $800.. otherwise it's alloy for her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

User Name

by User Name

My old 58cm CAAD8 is 1265g, which I consider pretty light for alu.
My 'old' 56cm Carbon Soloist is only 90g lighter (1175g)!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com