Wanted: Opinions of Campy mech users who tried electronic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emorydptt

by emorydptt

I like the feel of the tactile shift of sr11. When I was using di2 7970, I found myself shifting in the wrong direction on the rear. That was even 2 months in. I admit the shifts were smooth, crisp, and I managed to confuse it only once (purposefully), but in the end, I was back to sr11.
As people stated, early editions of sr11 seamed to have a little weaker pulleys and the return spring on the shifters, but once tuned properly, it is just as precise.
Fortunately, SR has become more reasonable in price on the used market.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

As you may know, I have a lot of bikes. My preference since I was a Cadet is Campagnolo. Having said that Di2 is fantastic. Thank goodness EPS is a bit better. Like C50jim, I have recently discovered the one flaw of EPS - the non-replaceable battery.

This past weekend, I found my EPS battery dead. Was it my own fault for forgetting to check it? Of course. Unfortunately, you can't just grab another battery, throw it on and go like you can with Di2. I had to switch to another bike. The EPS battery is not anywhere nearly as good as the Di2 battery.

LionelB

by LionelB

I have tried DI2 DA and Ultegra as well as SR EPS. Between the three I preferred SR EPS but I am a campy guy so it makes sense. The only thing I found better on EPS compared to SR11 is the small to large ring shift.

I do not see myself switching anytime soon though. The whole concept is not appealing to me.

I'm just hoping campy will continue to keep a high end mechanical group, just bought an SR RS group.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The whole concept is not appealing to me

Same here. I don't need it.
It's a little like a car with an automatic gear box. I'll never buy one of those either.

just bought an SR RS group.

An utterly sexy gruppo. Congrats.

This past weekend, I found my EPS battery dead.

Batteries can be unreliable when temperatures are a bit on the extreme end of things.
They also have this annoying tendency to self-discharge slowly even when not in use.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

shillc

by shillc

I used SR mechanical before making the switch to eps 2 years ago.
I love it, no going back, as much as mechanical is great, eps is effortless clean shifting.
I will be building a second SR eps bike this year.
Setup of the internal battery is fraught with limitations as is the charging, but having tries 9070, I could not go in that direction.
The levers and shifter locations are optimal for my hands.

Franklin

by Franklin

fdegrove wrote:Same here. I don't need it.
It's a little like a car with an automatic gear box. I'll never buy one of those either.

In the eighties this silly remark was also said by the mechanic of the Panasonic team with Campagnolo:

"Index shifting, thats like an automatic. Only sissies ride those"

I rank your "never" remark in the same silly category. I think you should be a little less definitive ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I rank your "never" remark in the same silly category. I think you should be a little less definitive

I did say I do not need it, did I not?

So, why buy something you feel no need for?

Ciao, ;)

Franklin

by Franklin

fdegrove wrote:So, why buy something you feel no need for?

The same reason we now have Index shifting and Ergo's :mrgreen:

You know cyclings history as good as I am, so you are aware you are mirroring a position that has been crushed in the past. If Campa and Shimano keep this as the top end chances are big even the grognards will follow. So far they always have.

And no, I'm not seeing a need for electronic either, but I'm smart enough not to say "I'll never buy it". I simply can't say how the market looks like in ten years... and neither can you :wink:

Stats

by Stats

Owned a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 with mechanical SR... tried SR EPS on an Avanti and preferred the EPS... sometimes the Dogma was a little inconsistent with shifting due to friction with internal cabling but obviously none of those problems with EPS... also, the thumb shifter being slightly lower on EPS was better for riding in the drops.

uraqt

by uraqt

@ Franklin

I would strongly argue that I will be using campy 10 speed for the next ten years easy : )

It runs forever and I have started buying spares..... I do agree with the "old fogies" I don't see the need for the average guy who rides a lot and takes care of their equipment.

C

Franklin

by Franklin

uraqt wrote:@ Franklin

I would strongly argue that I will be using campy 10 speed for the next ten years easy : )

It runs forever and I have started buying spares..... I do agree with the "old fogies" I don't see the need for the average guy who rides a lot and takes care of their equipment.

C

I'm still at Chorus 2004 and Veloce bikes, so sure, I understand the sentiment. But "never" is a very long time, especially considering what happened with Index shifting and ergo's.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But "never" is a very long time, especially considering what happened with Index shifting and ergo's.

That may be like what it seems to you.
When TS asks for an opinion then that's what he gets and thus it should be taken as such.

Comparing the evolution from index shifting to ergo shifting to electronic shifting seems like comparing apples to oranges to me.
Going from ergo to electronic isn't that great a breakthrough functionally speaking. The action of a couple of fingers is now relayed to a few electronically controlled DC motors which depend on a battery supply to function.
I'd rather not depend on a battery but just on my legs and that couple of fingers.
For the same reasons as stated higher up, I don't think I'll ever buy into disc brakes either. I just don't need them.

That does not mean I do not welcome evolution or progress, I do. I'll only buy into it when I feel it brings me something I'm missing.
As it stands, neither does, so....

Ciao, ;)

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin

by Franklin

fdegrove wrote:When TS asks for an opinion then that's what he gets and thus it should be taken as such.

Agreed :) It was just amusing that it was the same thing a Belgian Mechanic said in the eighties.

Comparing the evolution from index shifting to ergo shifting to electronic shifting seems like comparing apples to oranges to me.
Going from ergo to electronic isn't that great a breakthrough functionally speaking. The action of a couple of fingers is now relayed to a few electronically controlled DC motors which depend on a battery supply to function.

Functionality wise I agree, but what you should recognize as grognard that Electronic shifting gets better press from the hardcore crowd than SLR and SIS got. Indeed, it's not just Shimano as usually, even Campa is now aboard.

I'd rather not depend on a battery but just on my legs and that couple of fingers.
For the same reasons as stated higher up, I don't think I'll ever buy into disc brakes either. I just don't need them. That does not mean I do not welcome evolution or progress, I do. I'll only buy into it when I feel it brings me something I'm missing.
As it stands, neither does, so....

Ciao, ;)

Key difference being the word think. On disc brakes. You might not need them, but if that becomes the leading form factor I wonder how long people will hold out. Or are you telling me you need the jump from 8 to 11 speed? :wink:

I understand your opinion, indeed, I'm almost certainly much more conservative in my gear than you are, but never is rather long :mrgreen:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Key difference being the word think. On disc brakes. You might not need them, but if that becomes the leading form factor I wonder how long people will hold out. Or are you telling me you need the jump from 8 to 11 speed? :wink:

Whether they become the leading form factor or not that still won't change the way I feel about it.
Apparently you do not think at all or rather you seem to think that because the market goes one way everyone has to follow it.

BTW, I still haven't made the jump to 11S. I'm absolutely happy with every single aspect of my 10S Campa Record.
And, I don't think I need 11S either. At least not yet and by that I'm referring to the extra large cogs which can't be had even on a 10S CT crank.

I understand your opinion, indeed, I'm almost certainly much more conservative in my gear than you are, but never is rather long

You still don't get it, do you? Never may same an infinite amount of time to you but in view of a lifetime it certainly is finite.

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com