Here is an interesting/hard choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Need a set of all-around wheels for climbing, descending, fast group rides, occasional gravel riding, and crit racing.

Can get a brand new set of 2014 Zipp 202 carbon clinchers at the same price as a set of nice aluminum handbuilts - Hed Belgium, CX-Ray and CK R45s.

Rides can be wet occasionally but more like fog and dew than rain (NorCal).

What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I feel bad for saying this, buuuut what I would do is get the 202s, sell them, buy the handbuilts, and pocket the rest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

With your riding prerequisites I wouldn't be horribly interested in a set of carbon clinchers
Any wheelset built around the hed Belgians is gona be pretty awesome.
I think you know what the answer to the question is :D

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I had the same dilemma, I can't be 100% helpful considering your situation might be different in teem of percentage of usage. But I ended up with Stinger 4 tubular, and campy Shamal ultra 2-way second hand. Solved 99% of my problem. I believe true one wheel-solution is non existent, as I prefer non-carbon brake track for those rainy days and dry fast descending. Whilst I love tubular on good days, criti and group rides including.

grnrcr

by grnrcr

sugarkane wrote:With your riding prerequisites I wouldn't be horribly interested in a set of carbon clinchers
Any wheelset built around the hed Belgians is gona be pretty awesome.
I think you know what the answer to the question is :D

Yep, I'm painfully aware of the potential downsides to riding CC in the wet, long descends and rough gravel. But walking away from a set of 202s at that price is just so hard to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stefano

by Stefano

I would also go with the handbuilts, except change those CK's for Alchemy :)

But if you really are curious about the 202's, go ahead and buy them! Worst case scenario, you don't like them and then sell them off without losing too much money. Maybe you'll really like them too and they'll be a revelation. You never know till you try!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think that the Belgium/R45 combo is the way to go, however I'd go for the T11s from White Industries over the Kings any day. They're $100 cheaper while being just as durable. Plus a full service of the T11s is far less complicated than the Kings. The R45s do give you the bling factor but with the new color lineup the T11s are a close second.

I like Stefanos suggestion of the Alchemys but at this point in time they aren't producing any hubs so that options a no go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

tough choice indeed.

The CK R45 are supposed to be the best performing hubs in the world.

Zipp rims (and Enve) are supposed to have the best brake surface, and shouldn´t cause problems on descents and/or rain.

What about CK R45 build with Enve 3.4 rims? Or November Rail 34?