Continental tubular gp4000s or competition???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

gp4000s 2
- 270g 28x22mm
- 52pound at wiggles for GP4000S and 72pound for GP4000S 2 at CRC.

• facelift of the renowned 4000s clincher tyre
• seamless casing design improves seating on the rim, tyre uniformity and rolling resistance
• handmade in Korbach with BlackChili Compound and Vectran™ Breaker
• Robust 4/240 tpi casing

Competition
-260g 28x22mm
- black chilli
- vectran breaker
- 40pound at wiggles

• The 25 mm width is the perfect tyre choice for Paris-Roubaix
• Extra wide Vectran™breaker protects against punctures around the edges of the tyre
• Robust 3/180 tpi casing
• Better grip and comfort in poor conditions
• BlackChili gives outstanding wet weather grip and low rolling resistance
• Well proven diamond tread profile

not much of differences between these two according to conti website but obviously gp4000s 2 has more ply and tpi. Both handmade in germany and chilli compound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Are Conti's the only option? There are much better Tubs out there in my opinion!

In my experience with the Sprinter, and Competition, the casing is quite hard in comparison to other tubs, like Vittoria and Challenge; they certainly don't ride as well as Vittorias lower end Corsa elite (well documented). However they do seem to last longer than the Vittoria's.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

For years, I rode continental and only continental clincher tires. They are a very good tire with great puncture resistance. Then I heard about the terrible rolling resistance with continental tires. I started looking for a different brand and discovered Vredestein. What a HUGE difference..! The Vredesteins rolled so much faster...you can feel it. Plus it turned out that they had even greater puncture resistance than the continentals. Don't get me wrong...I still think very well of continental. But the Vredesteins are tops in my book.

Honestly I don't even know if Vredestein makes a tubular.

Foil30

by Foil30

I purchased tofu elite jet 160 today. I hope its a good tire

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

Foil30 wrote:I purchased tofu elite jet 160 today. I hope its a good tire

"Tofu"..? I thought it was Tufo....

asdf123

by asdf123

From my experience Tufo is a one of the most unpleasant tire maker out there.
As for Conti's go with Comps as they feel much much better than GP's

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Honestly I don't even know if Vredestein makes a tubular.

Like a large number of other makes these are made at the same factory as Vittoria in Thailand.
AFAIK these share the same casing but use a different rubber compound for the tread.

"Tofu"..? I thought it was Tufo....

Unfortunately Tufo tyres have the exact opposite properties of tofu.... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The new Comp Force / Attack from Conti are really good and are 22mm F 24mm rear. I fitted them last week and raced on them this Sunday. They feel better than the Comp / GP 4000 tubs I have been using.
I have tried Vittoria Evo CX on two occasions and had 4 Challenge Criteriums to try, but went back to Conti as they are far more puncture resistant.
I have ridden the last 2 rear Conti GP 4000s to the canvas without a puncture. The added advantage is you can use Stans or other sealant for added puncture resistance of to repair minor punctures.
To me ride quality is one thing, but reliability and grip in wet or dry is far more important.
A slightly more comfortable ride is one thing, but it is useless when you get dropped in a race or on a long ride with a flat tyre.
In my experience Conti have far better grip in the wet and better reliability and better mileage than the Vittorias or Challenge tyres I have tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

darnellrm

by darnellrm

I agree with OZRider, a smoother ride is meaningless when you are standing on the side of the road. I do good to get 2 weeks out of a Vittoria or similar, but can't remember thew last Conti or Tufo that I didn't ride until the casing was showing through the tread.

FWIW,

Roy

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

It is a big difference between the 4000 and Comp.
The comp is made the old way sewn up on the inside, the 4000 is overlapped under the
rubber, no seam.

It might sound smarter but the 4000 comes out like a rubber band (easy to mount...)
and are much smaller in size for the same labeled size
They are great spare tire since they fold up flat without the seam.

I definitely recommend the Competition.
Just pre stretch them damp as discussed here before.

And by the way, this year most rode 30mm at Roubaix as I understand it.
48.6km/h avg first hour of racing with fat tires on "commuter and cross bikes" not bad.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The comp is made the old way sewn up on the inside, the 4000 is overlapped under the
rubber, no seam.

Which also implies that the 4000 can't be repaired the old fashioned way (thread and needle).

Ciao, ;)

lannes

by lannes

Foil30 wrote:I purchased tofu elite jet 160 today. I hope its a good tire

After riding comps, which were like riding dead wood and veloflex extreme which are perfect but not that durable.

I've settled on the Tufo elite jet <160, their super light weight is certainly felt at the rim and riding them at 140psi (the minimum recommended) gives good suppleness and grip

With tufo tape, this a good combination.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I've settled on the Tufo elite jet <160, their super light weight is certainly felt at the rim and riding them at 140psi (the minimum recommended) gives good suppleness and grip

With tufo tape, this a good combination.

I'm most impressed.
Even more so by the paradoxical statements.

Surely these are extremely puncture resistant as well?

Ciao, ;)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

140 psi. Its like getting into the "way back machine".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Ozrider wrote:In my experience Conti have far better grip in the wet and better reliability and better mileage than the Vittorias or Challenge tyres I have tried.

Cant speak for the reliability re the Challenge tubs yet. In my experience the Conti's will last longer than Vittoria's no doubt as they seem to be a harder compound but the Vit's seem to offer better allround grip IMO. I got 3,670km out of my Vittoria Corsa CX, and to date I have got 4,516kms out of the Conti's (every day riding) - the rear is fair worn now but only because I've done 4 sessions a week on the trainer the last 4 weeks.

Re puncture resistance, I got no punctures in either set of tires (touch wood). I imagine our roads in the east are just as shit as those in the west Ozrider. I must say though the Conti Force and Attack look really good and should offer the same resiliance as other Conti tubs.