Aeolus 3 D3 VS Assault SLG

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Alright everyone, finally decided on what new bike to get. Now I need help deciding on the new wheelset. I'm down to Aeolus 3 D3 and Assault SLG because of price. Let's just say I can get them for real cheap and they’ll only be $80 price difference between the too, whereas the Bontrager is the more expensive one. Which one should I get and why? If you have any other to recommend, please do, but price must be sub $1200 and of similar weight of the above two(preferably lighter!). By the way, both are clinchers and I'm only looking for clinchers.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'd go with the Bontrager wheels. Now, before you look at my signature and say "just a Trek fanboy", keep in mind that I've had two different sets of Reynolds wheels, and my current Madone rides on 303's. That being said, the D3's use, in my opinion, better hubs (DT Swiss vs. Reynolds branded hubs, that may or may not be rebadged Novatec hubs), and a better aero profile. Trek/Bontrager spent quite a bit of time working out the aero profile of their D3 lines, and they are top notch. The Assaults are Reynolds lowest level aero wheel, and I can tell you that on my current Reynolds 66's, the SLG ain't worth squat (albeit a much larger profile). If you can get the D3's for only $80 more than the Assaults, get two pairs and sell me one!

BTW, the Bontrager wheels are made by Zipp in Indianapolis, whereas the Reynolds are made in Taiwan, if that matters to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Haha, as much as I liked to help you out with the D3, I can only get one set if I go for it, sorry. :(

Another reason I'm considering Reynolds are that, based on some preliminary research, they have the better brake tracks compare to other carbon wheels? Not too sure about that, so was wondering what people here would say about them. Since these wheels will be my only wheels for a while, at least until mid season because I would be moving to 11 speed.

Out of curiosity, what are better carbon brake pads, Reynold's Cryo Blue or Swissstop Black Prince?

P.S. FIJIGabe I feel like you're about the only one that ever responds to my posts that concerns Trek, haha.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

LOL! Well, if it says Trek, I'm on it. Someone's gotta wave the flag around here!

Regarding braking, I can't comment too much. What I can say is that Reynolds does do their homework on carbon braking (they even have a new brake pad formulation that is supposed to be even better than the previous version). That being said, you still shouldn't expect anything spectacular out of the Assaults. There's no way they will brake as well as an aluminum rim. I know Bontrager put some effort into making the D3 wheels brake well. I believe they still use cork pads, however.

Like I said before, If I had the option between the two, I'd go with the Bontrager wheels. Neither of the two have a particularly good resale potential (unlike Zipp, which seems to maintain its value pretty well), so if that's a factor, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Not too worry about resale value as I probably won't be selling them.

I'm really only worried about the braking performance as these wheels would be my only wheels for a while. Since I love climbing and there will be a lot of climbing in my route, I'll have to descend, so yeah....

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Can you take them for a test ride? That's the only way to really make a decision.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Ironically, no. I'm actually going to be buying these wheels blind..... Heck, even the bike is going to be blind......

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've owned a couple pairs of 44/66 Reynolds combos in both clincher and tubular and I haven't seen the reasoning for their stronger reputation for braking surface. They brake pretty well, don't get me wrong, but they're not "top of the heap" as far as wheels I've ridden - whereas I find the D3 braking to be some of the better I've experienced.

The D3 5 clinchers I'm riding now are the best carbon wheels for all around use that I've owned yet. I have to qualms with leaving them on my bike for anything that doesn't require fenders.

And the cryo blue pads don't seem to stop as well as the Swisstop Yellow - I haven't ridden black prince yet and they're supposed to surpass the yellow.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Aeolus D3's.. I test rode them on a madone 6 and well.. let say my wife is getting a new bike (test mule for my updates later). I already ride Enve 3.4 so no changing for me, but I got her Aeolus D3 3's clinchers. Probably one of the better wheels I have tried recently, besides my Enve's.

and for those not using bontrager cork pads... well they are pretty good and only way to keep your warranty too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Just out of curiosity. I'm currently running the Pacenti SL23 rims at a 26mm depth, with the Aeolus 3 D3 at 35mm, how much more aero am I going to get with these?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com