Light weight helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

In the market for a new helmet and the last time I went shopping for one was about 4 years ago. My assumption is that new product development must be leaps and bound compared to when I got mine. In case you're wondering, I'm using a Giro Ionos.

What are my choices now a days for a light weight helmet and preferably have color choice of green?

Now, if you have something to recommend that isn't exactly light(blasphemy right?), please feel free to list it. A reason for it would be nice too.

Thanks guys!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You can't go wrong with a Giro Aeon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Actually, helmets have become heavier the last few years because the manufacturers have to meet tougher safety standards. Besides, the tide is slowly turning towards less emphasis on weight, and more on aerodynamics.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I recommend you Catlike Whisper or Mixino.

Not the lightest ones, but cooling is great so you won't feel the extra few grams.
With a swimming cap, really aero :D

uraqt

by uraqt

jpanspac are you sure, I have just read that none of the testing has changed in 10 years? : )

Also I am 100% sure Aeon is 100X better than the Ionos I have both and I am pretty sure that the Ionos is the worse top of the line helmet Gio has every made... and Aeon is one of the lightest on the market and has much better venting.

C

PS I think the "one of the testing has changed in 10 years" came from the POC helmet thread.

djm

by djm

Catlike Mixino size M claimed at 210 grams. Using it now. Previously wore the Whisper+ and loved it for it's venting (I produce more heat than most), then used a Kask Mojito and disliked it in summer temps due to bad venting (220g at M). Really liking the Mixino as it fits my head much better than the Whisper+, it sits lower and exposes less forehead.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Giro Prolight is a good choice.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

thprice

by thprice

LIMAR Ultralight+ Road Helmet = 175g (Medium)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I used the Ionos, now on the Aeon. Ventilation wise, the Aeon feels better. Its a whole load lighter too. My Ionos was in the 330g range. The Aeon is just over 210g.

Fit wise, they are almost the same, but the Aeon uses less padding so you you'll need do more fine adjustments to get a good comfy fit.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Everyone, thanks for your recommendations!

Actually leaning towards the Aeon for its weight and I've been using Giro's for my helmets, also a big fan of their products. Though the Air Attack Shield is quite intriguing, but not too sold on its lack of vent as I am someone that gets hot easily. Any comment on that, especially its cooling capability?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I can only comment on the unshielded version. I've never had a problem with cooling, but I only use it on TT rides (25-30 miles), so that isn't the best indicator of cooling capacity. However, one guy I ride with regularly uses it (again, unshielded) during summer rides (upto and exceeding 100deg in S. Texas), and he has never complained about the heat (I did ask him on several occassions regarding this issue).

project3

by project3

i owned and used two of these light weight helmet - prefect fit for me

limar ultralight at reasonable price
http://road.cc/content/review/60791-lim ... ght-helmet

ogk kabuto ms2
http://www.ogkkabuto.co.jp/english/

Stats

by Stats

I use a Limar 104 Pro which is very very light but I actually prefer the comfort of my old Laser Genesis to be honest. I think Limar make an even lighter helmet these days... but if I were in the market again I think I'd probably consider the Laser again or at least prioritise comfort over weight a bit... personally I feel that the helmet comfortably 'disappearing' on your head is more important than light weight.

Grill

by Grill

The Poc is supposedly quite light.

uraqt

by uraqt

I think the USA version isn't that light. The POC thread kinda let me down, I had high hopes for some more competition : )

c

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com