XTR 2015

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

jimborello wrote:A friend of mine saw it in Taipei and he says they are coming out with a 2x11 electronic groupset, no 10t cog. I guess they dont feel a 1x11 is wide enough for mtb use

Well they do (at least for some people), because they're making it. It can be run either as a 1x or 2x system. E-tube DI2 is plug and play, so in that respect electronic is no different than mechanical; if you're using a single just leave out the left shifter and front mech.

AdyM

by AdyM

I think shimano need to come out with a 10t, 11spd gruppo asap, xx1 and xo1 are being hugely popular! Whilst XTR is lovely, I am considering xx1, with hopefully a cheaper cassette option when the time would come to replace the first one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Cassette looks awesome and I could live with the slightly narrower range and 60g extra over XX1

Cranks just look atrocious! But the tooth profile is something I've wanted to see for a long time for better performance in mud than N/W

Shifters and rear mech look much the same as 985 in looks and function which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Front mech looks hideous but the new approach is sound reasoning.

How does BR get away with publishing it earlier than anyone else though?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Damn... already posted...

ignore.

devinci

by devinci

So the press release is out...

Are those new brakes actually the same as the magnesium 987?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

There is nothing about Di2 in the BR article. I was hoping to read more about that.

DanW

by DanW

Are those new brakes actually the same as the magnesium 987?

I don't think there is any info out yet but they do look to be the same

devinci

by devinci

duh, they look the exact same as per the pictures and brief description, only the model name seem to have changed

Colin

by Colin

Nope, they're different, very similar but different. You can see it in the clamp that holds the brakes to the bar, much slimmer. Actually, the whole body looks slimmer.
As for Di2, I'd guess they're saving it for it's own unique release date so that it's given proper attention instead of having it mixed up with the rest of sea otter news.

DanW

by DanW

The only real difference mentioned in the article was the slimmer bar clamp to be more grip shift friendly. Everything else looks very, very similar. It is a tweaked 985/ 987 design rather than a redesign so I wouldn't be too bummed if I'd just bought an "older" version. They claim 190g per brake which is identical weight too to the 987's

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

It's the trail version that has changed. Trail has mono body caliber.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Benno

by Benno

Hmnn I've always seemed to have better luck with 1 piece calipers. Though I'm willing to give the XTR Race a try, the Trail brake interests me more.

DanW

by DanW

Unless you need a lot of on the fly , tool free adjustments there is no real reason to consider the Trails over the Races IME. The "Race" versions are extremely powerful and capable at dissipating heat on long descents and the finned pads/ ice tech rotors are a gimmick IMO. The stock finned pads are not also unnecessarily expensive and extremely grabby and ruin what little modulation Shimano brakes have. Normal pads on Race brakes offer the best all round brake IMO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com