Using Lightweights for commuting.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

record

by record

I can not believe what I read here.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

I acknowledge the April fools days joke :)

Regardless, just ride whatever you want and what makes you happy. If this means cruising around on a $3k set o f wheels, who cares? Plenty of plonkers drop 20x that amount on their cars which spend most of their lives stuck in traffic jams.

LW's - pure sex on wheels! :thumbup:

gitsome

by gitsome

Plenty of plonkers drop that amount on a girl for one night, and more if you count dinner.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

+1 do what makes you happy.
Can't stand the "i only ride my good wheels 3 times a year" approach. Life's too short.

My only advice is if you are going to be investing in LW's then why compromise for clinchers? If you are organized and have a can of glue and new tires pre-glued for when you flat it's not that big of a deal running tubulars. Assuming $ isn't an issue.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

No one's saying you shouldn't ride your good wheels or whatever as often as you can, and you should. I commute on my Boras often because they're on the bike I want to ride that day.

But what being suggested here is buying a set of Lightweights to use primarily as commuting wheels, which is pretty ridiculous. I didn't buy Boras to knock out the 5k commute as aerodynamically as possible.

durianrider

by durianrider

I rode my mates Obermyers around the car park the other day. I was surprised how good the braking was on them. Perhaps things have improved on LW's in the last few years.

The reason I prefer clinchers is incase of a flat. Then again some people rave about tubulars with sealant being the ticket. I havent had a flat tyre on my XC bikes in 5 years since running sealant.

So Milenstein tubulars seem to be the popular choice?

Money is not an issue. Functionality is. The bike will be anywhere it can be stolen.

Thanks for the feedback so far and please leave more.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

NiFTY

by NiFTY

While I wouldn't get lightweights for "commuting" but I would also not have qualms about riding them everyday, albeit, probably not in the wet, but I would avoid riding any carbon wheel in the wet. I have almost 6K on my meilenstein clinchers, rock solid, no issues in a little over 12 months. I alternate with another bike with roval clx40s on it. Also carbon clinchers.

Re: riding tubs instead of clinchers, whilst I would not go searching a 10K 20% grade to descend on a set of carbon clinchers I regularly climb and descend on them and heat build up is not an issue. To those of you that find delamination a giant issue I would ask how many times a week you descend a hors category climb per week.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

F45

by F45

I wouldn't trust my commute to such a cheap set of wheels.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I commute (15-17k each way) to work every now and then on LW obermayer genII, conti sprinter. After two years, no problem... Parked inside office of course.

durianrider

by durianrider

Looks like the meilenstein clinchers are the ticket.

16/20 spoke config. Im around 65kg.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am 72kg and 16/20 are fine.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RyanH

by RyanH

I "commute" when I can to client sites. When I say commute, it's more of a training ride that happens to end at my place of work for the day. With that being said, I have two sets of wheels to choose from, Reynolds DV46 tubs and Enve 25 tubs. After 3 days of commuting 50K each way, the wheel choice was simple: the Enve 25's. If you're riding a lot, and long distances, the smoothness of a shallow wheelset will become readily apparent. Every inch of rough tarmac will be that much more noticeable on a stiff, deep wheelset when you're tired, and not exactly super stoked that you have to go out and ride to get where you need to be.

n808

by n808

I commute on my road bike in dry weather, and am looking to upgrade my Mavic Ksyrium Elites at 1830gr. They have stayed true for 10 years and around 20,000km, so I could probably manage to commute with a somewhat lighter set of wheels, albeit not super lightweight and not super expensive, perhaps around 1500gr - 1550gr. While I understand the general sentiment of this thread, commuting is training as well, and good, reasonably lightweight and comfortable wheels are a great enhancement to such rides.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

durianrider

by durianrider

I pick em up tomoz.
My YT channel

Follow me on Strava

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com